What Happened To The Forum?

Is it stable now or our are we still having issues? Nothing more then a little message saying that little problems being sorted out. Tried posting the same question on the yahoo mini-toy forum, must have got snubbed by the terminators (moderators). ;-)

What date did we restore too? Totem indicates his old avatar came back to life.

Happy New Year!

My avatar was changed by a terminator. I'll bet dinner at lone star on that, any cut of steak you like, because I am a website and dba I know there was no "restore" or you would see data loss and all peoples avatars revert not just one, one that happens to upset people that hate said country...

My avatar was changed by a terminator. I'll bet dinner at lone star on that, any cut of steak you like, because I am a website and dba I know there was no "restore" or you would see data loss and all peoples avatars revert not just one, one that happens to upset people that hate said country...

No one has the ability to change anything like that except for Greg. Since he doesn't know you from Adam and I'm certain could care less, you need to stop thinking everyone is out to get you. During this outage Derek and I were even more out of the loop than the other members. I had to ask Zach if Greg had even left a message for members. He responded to none of my emails and never gave any explanation. I'm still afraid if we cause him too much trouble he might just delete the whole thing so I'm not going to do any complaining. Why don't you try it for a change

Linda S

I would like to thank Greg for a great site and I hope that everyone else will do the same thing. If anyone doesn't like the way it is run, don't come back and make everyone happy.

I'll Put money where my mouth is....and lay $20 in PayPal to the site in a donation if the gentleman, kind lady or scholar that returns my avatar to its original state prior to the crash... Any takers?

Without good communication from your admins Linda I would be very concerned about the longevity of this site and health. I suspect a crash & burn scenario soon. Start screen-scraping and get that information you rely on the most here.

No one has the ability to change anything like that except for Greg. Since he doesn't know you from Adam and I'm certain could care less, you need to stop thinking everyone is out to get you. During this outage Derek and I were even more out of the loop than the other members. I had to ask Zach if Greg had even left a message for members. He responded to none of my emails and never gave any explanation. I'm still afraid if we cause him too much trouble he might just delete the whole thing so I'm not going to do any complaining. Why don't you try it for a change

Linda S

Thinking everyone is out to get me? no. I don't think that I am merely asking what happened to my avatar data and the site. Its silly to fear upsetting the website gods and make people worry that the site may be terminated at any moment or "delete the whole thing". If that ever happens I will start up a new site myself, its not that hard. What we need in here is some help, to run the site, keep our data intact and if donations are the issue we will donate, just talk to us. You are telling us that we are complaining and telling us to essentially shut up when we are asking what happened to our data and the site. I for one love this site, its great, I would like to help it become stable.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. You (apparently) didn't save a copy of your map but you think someone saved a copy of your old avatar? Well, here, knock yourself out and change your avatar back again. I assume you'll find a map to your liking here:-

https://www.google.ca/search?q=electoral+map+usa+2014&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yk-tVL2mFYSeyQTi7YDAAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

I like this (apparently) accurate forecast one:-

simpsons-election.JPG

But it's your choice. :)

Thinking everyone is out to get me? no. I don't think that I am merely asking what happened to my avatar data and the site. Its silly to fear upsetting the website gods and make people worry that the site may be terminated at any moment or "delete the whole thing". If that ever happens I will start up a new site myself, its not that hard. What we need in here is some help, to run the site, keep our data intact and if donations are the issue we will donate, just talk to us. You are telling us that we are complaining and telling us to essentially shut up when we are asking what happened to our data and the site. I for one love this site, its great, I would like to help it become stable.

Totem, I can help and have the same experience as you. I would skip the donations as maintaining the forum is not that hard and not much time involved, if you pick the right software. ;-) In fact I can work on setting up a dummy forum as a test bed here locally, we could try different flavors. ;-) To preserve what is here would need a php converter and permission to convert IP board into the new forum format. Hey, think of a good domain name. The last forum we setup cost about $160.00 for 2 years, unlimited space. No reason to run these bot infected advertisements. I would cover that cost for a new forum with no questions asked!

Interesting... and about that,

I finally was permitted to see the link from derek to the hack issue... does this mean we were all exposed to a virus?, I feel fairly safe as I use apple products usually to visit this site, but no one officially warned us users that we should check for infection from this site.

So apparently there was some redirect hack virus that installed itself into this site and Greg's removal of it caused the crash.

Yep, using the engine ad free and buying the site would help alleviate that.

having our own site could allow us to explore more freedom of speech in here as well. :) I know to me I would like to discuss all aspects of RVing not just the narrow dogmatic topics of only toyota schematics etc. Trip reports could include information on the laws of each state, and open to discussion of those laws, such as CCW, etc etc etc, hey if you are open to starting a site, I would join in a "new york" minute. I also come to the table with quite a biut of sql server, oracle, sharepoint, IIS, apache, programming and other skill sets so heck man lets play :)

yeah no one mentioned the other threads on the redirect except you recently. I don't usually browse the area of the forum on the forum when I'm being told that there is no communication or replies. looks like everyone is communicating well now. That post explains everything including my missing avatar. Looks like I owe someone a steak.

so heck man lets play :)

Let's play! Lets run this underground that way we can play around and get it to our likings. If we get serious we can take it further and get it on the www.

Plan - Fire up the local server here at home, Running Fedora Linux, Apache and Mysql Lite for the database. I'll install a vanilla load of FUDforum (Fast Uncompromising Discussions) to start. A very nice forum software base (free). Very secure and easy to maintain.

Later this week I will PM you with a local URL. Register and I will pass you admin rights and we go from there.

Sound good? ;-)

ok :).

was other data lost? photos, discussions, posts?

Sorry to take so long to get back about your avatar. I did not delete or change it directly. I had to re-build convert avatars that had been uploaded when the system was version 3.1 and earlier. So my best guess is something went wrong during that process. Explain in detail what your avatar looked like and I will see if I can find it in the uploads.

No worries Greg. I have my avatar restored thanks to my having a copy of it still. Another user recently accosted me openly in here over the united states map avatar which apparently offended him. Apparently he has some kind of hatred for me/it and was spewing hatred of right wing politics, hatred of CCW RV operators, guns and the like and stating he felt what states we like to visit are not acceptable to him or the reasons why.

I am sure the moderators had a talk with him. I know they called me paranoid when i asked what happened to my avatar... All I knew was that i didn't do anything to it and then some fellow starts in with the insults... on the avatar. Its a sad day we live in these days with people acting like that.

Love this site though. Just wish the mods liked their job more and communicated better is all or for that matter gave a dang.

Let's play! Lets run this underground that way we can play around and get it to our likings. If we get serious we can take it further and get it on the www.

Plan - Fire up the local server here at home, Running Fedora Linux, Apache and Mysql Lite for the database. I'll install a vanilla load of FUDforum (Fast Uncompromising Discussions) to start. A very nice forum software base (free). Very secure and easy to maintain.

Later this week I will PM you with a local URL. Register and I will pass you admin rights and we go from there.

Sound good? ;-)

Sounds great. I am all in as long as its not yahoo...lol

No worries Greg. I have my avatar restored thanks to my having a copy of it still. Another user recently accosted me openly in here over the united states map avatar which apparently offended him. Apparently he has some kind of hatred for me/it and was spewing hatred of right wing politics, hatred of CCW RV operators, guns and the like and stating he felt what states we like to visit are not acceptable to him or the reasons why.

I am sure the moderators had a talk with him. I know they called me paranoid when i asked what happened to my avatar... All I knew was that i didn't do anything to it and then some fellow starts in with the insults... on the avatar. Its a sad day we live in these days with people acting like that.

Love this site though. Just wish the mods liked their job more and communicated better is all or for that matter gave a dang.

How many times do we have to get accused of messing with your profile and explain repeatedly that we had nothing to do with it. We communicate just fine. You are so paranoid you just refuse to listen. I told you to just replace it but no your so convinced we have some diabolical plot against you, you rant and rave for days. I clearly told you that Greg was working on the website and I wasn't sure of what happened. I'm waiting for my apology

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7774&page=5

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7788#entry65632

Linda S

I never accused you personally of anything. show me where I did. I did suspect a terminator, but never said you. Derek did poke fun about the loss of the avatar though, and referencing Mr. Burns. I did think it was funny though lol.

You are the paranoid one if i may be so bold. There are several mods in here. I suspected Derek all along... after all he is Canadian. :)

Sorry Derek.

I never accused you personally of anything. show me where I did. I did suspect a terminator, but never said you. Derek did poke fun about the loss of the avatar though, and referencing Mr. Burns. I did think it was funny though lol.

You are the paranoid one if i may be so bold. There are several mods in here. I suspected Derek all along... after all he is Canadian. :)

Sorry Derek.

Nothing justifies your ridiculous venting. Not here, not anywhere.

Linda S

Yes, Canadians are a very suspicious race.

If you had a copy of your damned Avatar all along, why the hell didn't you just change the damned thing back without going off 'half cocked' (a gun reference just for you) and wasting everyone's time?

I hate and avoid Forums where there's talk about guns and politics because they invariably degenerate into the kind of crap that's been seen on here recently.

I don't want an apology, I'd just like this type of thing to go away. There are plenty of other Forums and Groups out there dedicated to the type of 'discussions' you seem to yearn for.

:)

No, I came in here to talk toy homes, and Rving and joined other conversations along the way. The other stuff came out in conversations where you yourselves put in your two bits, disagreed with folks on things, and decided to ban politics because you didn't want to hear anymore preaching or views or religion, or garden tools, or pizza, or dogs... no wait dogs are ok.

I never recalled guns being banned, but I am sure they will be now because you don't like them. Plenty of toy home owners are CCW holders including waiter. My "venting" is no more than yours, we are both people. Why cant you just respect that and ask people to repsect each others views instead of telling me to stop venting but letting everyone else preach? Stop trying to be so elite all the time. I am not in here accosting people - they come in here accosting me and then you yell at me for it?

example:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7773&page=1

people indeed are tired of this. I am a good man. I still do not understand why a bitmap would be lost in a roll back and not other things too... its a photo, but hey if it was it was, but it was not done by me. You should learn tolerance of good people. And i had forgot i had a copy derek... until you suggested it to me :)

All this talk of Avatars gives me flashbacks to the movie Officespace: the guy with the Swingline stapler

office-space-7.jpg

Milton Waddams:

"But then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll, I'll, I'll set the building on fire..."

Thank you.

I am pleased to see that the waters have now calmed. I truly do enjoy reading helpful, insightful and unique comments from each and everyone of you. But, when the forum turns into a non-productive shouting match, nobody benefits. Now, let's move forward.

Again, thank you.

~Riverman77

I think this forum is just crackers! That's why its so easy give a rozzer the dropsy in snide.

Anyway, I have to go framble the portisan while its still cool and barkney...

John

John,

It's been a long time since I've been to Europe. Perhaps you wouldn't mind translating the Scottish or British into regular American English for us.

~Riverman77