I'm installing reflectix window coverings in my 88 Sunrader for warmer winter sleeping and living. Any opinions on most effective install? Should I leave an airspace or put it right up against the window glass? Thanks in advance for your wisdoms.

check our the frugal living website,

I followed it and put bubble wrap (cheaper cousin of reflex...) with the flat surface in contact with the glass. cut out pieces to match glass size and use a light soapy solution to film it on.

I have taken them off since and went to cellular blinds.

It'll need to be right up against the glass. The air gap is more for installing it inside walls.

The absolute best way to use the reflectix would be to install it on the outside of the windows, since then no sun would even heat up the window. Since that doesn't work for very many of us, the next best is right up against the inside of the window, with as little gap anywhere as possible. Heat will work it's way through any little space. It's nearly impossible to eliminate all gaps, you just do the best you can, knowing it's going to make a huge difference even if you do a fairly sloppy job of it.

I know the theory behind the stuff is that it reflects the radiant heat right back and with the air gap, heating doesn't actually happen. But in practice, in non-laboritory conditions, the sun comes in through the window and the window gets hot. So the air gap, if you leave one, is going to be very hot air. Since that hot air is inside your camper, it'll work its way into the window frame and the walls and heat the place up a bit. With the foil right against the window, you get a little less of that.

A noticeable difference between the two? Well...depends on what kind of heat we're talking about and how long you're sitting out in it.

I have some double-bouble radiant insulation (same as reflectix) for my windows (also insulated my entire camper with it while it was torn apart) and it works really well.

Thank you very much Montana Chinook for your informative answer. I will be attaching reflectix to the insides of my windows, right up against the glass. I think I will employ velcro to ensure a solid installation. I purchased some velcro at a fabric store (non sticky back) and will be using small dollops of Shoe Goo to mount the stiff velcros to the glass and the soft velcros to the pieces of reflectix. I may post some pics of the process in case it is of note. Thanks again for the wisdoms.

Young Sage

A couple of years ago....I had part of a piece of blue insulation board 3/8" or 1/2" thick. I took a piece of thin cardboard and made a template of each of window frame corners of my front and side windows in the over cab bed area. Then measured the height and width of the windows, added about 1/8 " cut the blue board and wedged it into the window frame. It didn't have to be taped on. I liked it so much that I just left it in.... winter and summer . I found that it keeps the cold from coming and keeps the heat inside in winter and much cooler in the summer. The left over piece , I measured and cut the board to fit behind seats closing off the pass through between the cab and the coach. The first camping trip in spring I take the partition out. Just a suggestion for anyone interested.

Happy Camping,

'homer'

Yep. Depending on your window setup, that works great. My Chinooks cab over windows have no "sill", and the rest of them don't have much depth either, so wedging didn't work as well as it would for other campers. I used the velcro method.

You're right, winter and summer, they make a difference.

i installed Reflectix last year in my over head front and side windows and have had great results. I actually used foil tape around the edges to get a semi-permanent seal. What I've noticed after almost a year of exposure to sunlight, is that the Reflectix foil is starting to fade and become gradually translucent over time - has anyone else had this issue? I'm looking at replacing it soon, not an expensive proposition but just curious if anyone has encountered the same phenomenon.

I can only see what's on my windows, and not the insulation in my walls, but where it looks to me like the foil is wearing off is from rubbing, not fading. So if it moves while you're driving and stuff is rubbing, that'll start wearing the foil coating off.

Holy moly Derek Up North! That link was great! Thanks! I may go that route if spending more time in the colder environs.

Another question about reflectix installation:

I am looking for the ideal installation method. One that would be solid, not flapping-off in case of a breeze, and easy enough to remove, not leaving sticky films or window marring.

I am considering three approaches:

1. Double sided scotch tape. ---The easiest to remove and seemingly the weakest. This is what I have attaching the reflectix currently and it seems to be working ( about eight hours so far).

2. Double sided carpet tape --- very strong. Will leave an adhesive film upon removal, probably requiring razor blades and solvent to remove.

3. Dollops of Shoe Goo attaching stiff velcros to the glass and small dollops attaching the soft velcros to the reflectix. This would leave small, unobtrusive velcros on the glass. This method would require more time: cutting, dolloping, and waiting to cure AND it would be solid and simple to remove. Downside is time spent and the unobtrusive velcros.

I remember someone on here mentioning soap film to stick it on. Anyone hear of this or try it? I'm intrigued. I could clean the windows and get the reflectix installed with that method, if it were secure enough.

As always, thank you all so very much for your thoughts, ideas, and contributions in this forum. It is a true treasure trove for we toy home geeks. I giggle frequently and get much inspiration from all of your thoughts, words, and stories.

So thanks!

Greetings Homer!

Thanks so much for sharing your cool idea about using the foam board. Is the foam board you speak of that blue insulite foam people use to sleep on when backpacking or is it another product? IIs it more board-like or foam-like? Thanks again for all that you do!

This modification was performed on a 1986 Toyota Sunland Express
These pictures show.....the kind of insulation (I used a scrap piece to cut the parts out) for
the windows, the partition between the coach and cab, window tracks where I wedge the foam in
place, the front window where I put black out film on inside and where it comes to. You can't see the blue through the film from the outside. The side windows--I never put the film where
the screen was and you can see the blue. The 4" pvc pipe is for my sewer lines, the square
bumper is rusty and eats up the plastic flex pipe. The pictures of a ladder I built in order to get in and out of the over cab bed. Wife has artificial knee and is fixing to have the other one done in January. On the ladder, I put a piece of wood for the top piece and it broke (not strong enough). I
then cut a piece from a bed railing and it has worked beautifully ever since.
Any questions just ask away and I will try to give you an honest answer.
'Homer'
post-3517-0-68223500-1419403227_thumb.jppost-3517-0-19292700-1419403300_thumb.jppost-3517-0-83764400-1419403333_thumb.jppost-3517-0-32852200-1419403371_thumb.jppost-3517-0-85532900-1419403527_thumb.jppost-3517-0-04894700-1419403558_thumb.jppost-3517-0-47130500-1419403950_thumb.jppost-3517-0-56066000-1419403598_thumb.jppost-3517-0-01272200-1419403631_thumb.jppost-3517-0-67478000-1419403992_thumb.jppost-3517-0-88611600-1419404552_thumb.jp

post-3517-0-48186200-1419403890_thumb.jp

post-3517-0-84190800-1419404027_thumb.jp

post-3517-0-67410100-1419404607_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

Homer,

I would love to see your Sunland Express some time. i'm in Asheville but come up to Waynesville (Hazelwood) on a pretty regular basis in my '86 Sunland Express. I love the ladder and the neat way you did the insulation. it would be good to compare notes. Have a happy and safe New Year, hope to hear from you soon!

-Rob

• 1 month later...