12 Volt Blue Ray And Dvd Player For An Rv

zero

Just had a pleasant surprise. I bought several Blue Ray players and burners since I've updating my movie copying "system."

Got an LG Blue Ray (and DVD) player from Walmart for $48 and found out it runs on 12 volts DC. No mention of this in its description. Total surprise bonus that it can be used in an RV with no inverter. Comes with a AC to DC converter to use in the house.

Same thing happened a while back with a 19" Sceptre TV from Walmart. Also runs on 12 volts and no mention of this in the product description.

post-6578-0-36882900-1418957338_thumb.jp

just remember; a transformer usually buffers to keep a perfect 12 volt where as raw 12 on the line of the rv could change significantly. Makes me wonder does anyone make a 12 volt to 12 volt power conditioner? something with some capacitors or something maybe?

just remember; a transformer usually buffers to keep a perfect 12 volt where as raw 12 on the line of the rv could change significantly. Makes me wonder does anyone make a 12 volt to 12 volt power conditioner? something with some capacitors or something maybe?

All the 12 volt TVs and players I've had had their own internal filters and could work with a wide range of DC power; Often 10 to 16 volts. My 12 volt refrigerator will work 10 to 30 volts.

this is good information to know as I have a couple devices like this also that I would like to run native but was afraid to. How can I tell if a device is internally regulated? In particular I am wondering about a WII game console.

Obviously not every 12 volt device is exactly the same. I assume any TV, DVD player and Blue Ray player with a 12 volt DC input actually runs on 3.3 and 5 volts internally. That is pretty much standard, just like a DVD/Blue Ray player/burner in your computer. Same for units with AC power. They all have converters or regulators to drop power down to 3.3 or 5 volts to run, internally. All that I have any specs on that are sold with a 12 volt input will work fine with the input at 9 -15 volts. In my RV - I never use a TV or DVD player except when parked so much is moot anyway. When parked with no engine running, the battery bank is the "stabilizer" and will provide steady 12.5 volt DC power. I "dry camp" so no AC powered converter involved. A voltage regulator/stabilzer is going to get hotter the more voltage it has to drop. So if someone is using a 12 volt player with 16 volts coming in - yeah, I assume it will get hot and suffer a shorter life.

I've been using 12 volt TVs and players for years (started with VCRs) that were sold as AC units but had DC inputs. I've had no failures. Like I said though, not all can be expected to be the same. I guess if in doubt and using with a 14-15 volt poorly regulated power supply - then I guess you might want a stabilizer. If I needed all that - I'd just use my DC to AC inverter and stick to AC appliances.

Transformers will not work on DC but most any 12 volt DC electronic device TV etc.will have at least a LM7812 12 volt regulator built in.

• 3 weeks later...

So that regulator... does that handle the voltage spikes coming from the alternator? if i wire in a device direct to the house battery its going to see whats coming at it from the alternator which can be 12.5-14.xx volts right?

Interesting and I do profess my ignorance here; I have been afraid to direct hook things that I know use 12 volt transformers.. maybe its ok to do this?