Discount tire had to order them for me. I love the things! Work great on the highway and in snow. 

Just found this post today and you did an awesome job, great job on sticking with all the trials and tribulations of doing something no one has done yet.  Sounds like its a reliable set up once you got all the kinks worked out.

Thanks, it has been an experience for sure. Still working on the rig, other than the odd code, the swaps is pretty much done. I'd like to try another one some day.

Now you just need to get a tow camper like Karens (snailpowered) new one... and tow it with that. :)

20160421_134629.jpg

Edited by Totem

Dave, many many hats are off for you. You had conquered it...made the impossible a reality. The gauges alone spoke for your electrical skills and the rest speaks for your persistence, courage, patient, ability to learn and accepted fault coupled with 'never give up' kind's of attitude.

I rented a Ford Transit van for a family trip and really liked how it rode...been dreaming of a new motorhome on the Ford Transit chassis for $60k until I strike this post...knowing it's extremely hard to do but not impossible for me. One of these days I may embark on this similar project especially if the 3.slow show any sign of dying as I like everything else about the truck. It now has $56k miles.

Thanks for everything you had done. The time and effort to write it up for us to learn. Enjoy the new power house...take a break for awhile if possible. 

Nam

Thanks Nam, It was a fun project. it is still not totally done, there are a couple small things to figure out but it is very usable. 3 drives to Texas proves it works! my life has changed a bit for a while. I took a job in Calgary Canada, and i left all my stuff in Texas. I do plan on building a shop in Texas so everything is set up when i want to take a little break from work and go tinker on things. for the next few years, I am without a shop or even tools! unless i make a friend here in Calgary i won't be wrenching.

I would recommend that everyone does a project like this one time. To really understand what goes into it, you have to do it yourself! 

Have/did you ever had the chance to try a good MPG run? My first LS400 (95) pulled as good as 26 on the open road at 60ish, and I've managed a best of 25 with the '97, but haven't had an opportunity for a long drive yet. The LS weighs in at about 4,000 lbs, and the motorhome is what? 5,500? Although it's not near as aerodynamic, I'd still expect to see much closer to 20 MPG. 

As I've said elsewhere, I just picked up an '85 Sunrader (from member Kale) with a fresh 22RE but a bad trans, so figured I'd do a 1UZ/A340E conversion since I have most of the needed parts after parting out my first LS. 

Edited by a2ndopinion

On 9/23/2017 at 3:13 PM, a2ndopinion said:

Have/did you ever had the chance to try a good MPG run? My first LS400 (95) pulled as good as 26 on the open road at 60ish, and I've managed a best of 25 with the '97, but haven't had an opportunity for a long drive yet. The LS weighs in at about 4,000 lbs, and the motorhome is what? 5,500? Although it's not near as aerodynamic, I'd still expect to see much closer to 20 MPG. 

As I've said elsewhere, I just picked up an '85 Sunrader (from member Kale) with a fresh 22RE but a bad trans, so figured I'd do a 1UZ/A340E conversion since I have most of the needed parts after parting out my first LS. 

Well if i can keep my foot out of it, I have gotten 18 but perhaps i could do better if it wasnt loaded down. Id love to see a post if you do the swap! 

I have a good friend who is a Lexus tech, and a Toyota fanatic like me. He has a 2nd gen 4Runner with a 5M in it, and is getting ready for a 1UZ swap. He's a whiz with this stuff, so although his is the next newer gen, and is 4x4, I'm gleaning as much as I can from him. I'll make a thread here when I get around to it (or is that a round tuit?). 

IMG_4595.JPG