• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just found this post today and you did an awesome job, great job on sticking with all the trials and tribulations of doing something no one has done yet.  Sounds like its a reliable set up once you got all the kinks worked out.

Thanks, it has been an experience for sure. Still working on the rig, other than the odd code, the swaps is pretty much done. I'd like to try another one some day.

• 1 year later...

Dave, many many hats are off for you. You had conquered it...made the impossible a reality. The gauges alone spoke for your electrical skills and the rest speaks for your persistence, courage, patient, ability to learn and accepted fault coupled with 'never give up' kind's of attitude.

I rented a Ford Transit van for a family trip and really liked how it rode...been dreaming of a new motorhome on the Ford Transit chassis for $60k until I strike this post...knowing it's extremely hard to do but not impossible for me. One of these days I may embark on this similar project especially if the 3.slow show any sign of dying as I like everything else about the truck. It now has $56k miles.

Thanks for everything you had done. The time and effort to write it up for us to learn. Enjoy the new power house...take a break for awhile if possible. 

Nam

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Nam, It was a fun project. it is still not totally done, there are a couple small things to figure out but it is very usable. 3 drives to Texas proves it works! my life has changed a bit for a while. I took a job in Calgary Canada, and i left all my stuff in Texas. I do plan on building a shop in Texas so everything is set up when i want to take a little break from work and go tinker on things. for the next few years, I am without a shop or even tools! unless i make a friend here in Calgary i won't be wrenching.

I would recommend that everyone does a project like this one time. To really understand what goes into it, you have to do it yourself! 

• 2 months later...

Have/did you ever had the chance to try a good MPG run? My first LS400 (95) pulled as good as 26 on the open road at 60ish, and I've managed a best of 25 with the '97, but haven't had an opportunity for a long drive yet. The LS weighs in at about 4,000 lbs, and the motorhome is what? 5,500? Although it's not near as aerodynamic, I'd still expect to see much closer to 20 MPG. 

As I've said elsewhere, I just picked up an '85 Sunrader (from member Kale) with a fresh 22RE but a bad trans, so figured I'd do a 1UZ/A340E conversion since I have most of the needed parts after parting out my first LS. 

Edited by a2ndopinion

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2017 at 3:13 PM, a2ndopinion said:

Have/did you ever had the chance to try a good MPG run? My first LS400 (95) pulled as good as 26 on the open road at 60ish, and I've managed a best of 25 with the '97, but haven't had an opportunity for a long drive yet. The LS weighs in at about 4,000 lbs, and the motorhome is what? 5,500? Although it's not near as aerodynamic, I'd still expect to see much closer to 20 MPG. 

As I've said elsewhere, I just picked up an '85 Sunrader (from member Kale) with a fresh 22RE but a bad trans, so figured I'd do a 1UZ/A340E conversion since I have most of the needed parts after parting out my first LS. 

Well if i can keep my foot out of it, I have gotten 18 but perhaps i could do better if it wasnt loaded down. Id love to see a post if you do the swap! 

I have a good friend who is a Lexus tech, and a Toyota fanatic like me. He has a 2nd gen 4Runner with a 5M in it, and is getting ready for a 1UZ swap. He's a whiz with this stuff, so although his is the next newer gen, and is 4x4, I'm gleaning as much as I can from him. I'll make a thread here when I get around to it (or is that a round tuit?). 

IMG_4595.JPG

• 2 years later...

So, now the time has come for a decision. One, try to sell the RV,  it’s always hard to sell super custom stuff. Just tear the coach off and make a super cool baby flatbed and haul my Kubota tractor on it. Or fix the hand full of things that need done, but I have no time and the RV stays in Texas, I live in Wisconsin. So I’d have to bring the RV back and forth to Texas every year, and We could use a bigger RV that ccould be worked on at a shop with no problems on cross country trips.

im thinking flat bed, the thing would be fast!

Tough sell for a one off custom,   I know I am looking for something now and I am not going to buy one that some unknown guy chopped up and put a different motor in!  If you do decide to sell, link this thread so they can see the time and effort that was put into getting it right.  I know it would sway my opinion.  Are you Mt Dave on the RV forums?   Good luck.

Yeah, I would feel the same way. But I knew that when I started. I had my fun doing it and driving it. Probably the flat bed will be next. I know that I did a quality job, and I have driven it cross country several times so I know it’s solid. I do have all the reacords, schematics, wire diagrams etc..still. I suppose if I finished everything and made it perfect I’d could probably sell it More easily. Time is my issue,. Besides I really think a flatbed/dump would be cool. Paint the whole thing Kubota orange!

i am always mtdave2 on any forum. SO a mt Dave is not me

Edited by mtdave2

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The problem with a 2JZGTE is it’s two cylinders longer. The most common fix for that in Celicas, Coronas and trucks that originally had a 2xR/RE is to move the radiator to the other side of the radiator support, but that’s the advantage ot the 1UZ - just a little bit longer than the 4 cylinder. Plus the JZ uses a cast iron block, so is roughly 450 lbs, Vs 390 for the UZ and 320 for the 2xR/RE. 

I still have the rig, it still runs well though one bad choice has caught up to me. I debated to delete the ERG. it's a common exhaust leak for these engines. i got rid of the original style and used hard piping...but it now leaks badly. there is just no easy way to get to it to weld or delete. i have all the parts and tools setting in the rig ready to drill an access hole from the cab, fix the leak then close the hole. thinking ill make it an access port and secure it with a seal and screws in case I need to get in there again.

overall its still in good shape, though that back shower and floor will need to be ripped out and fixed not sure where water got in, but somewhere. 

I would still sell it, if it was the right person who is a gearhead and can do things I would sell pretty cheap in my mind, $6k bottom firm, without the $3500 generators on the back. 8k with. It has been setting near San Antonino tx undercover at a rv storage lot for 4 years. each year when I'm down there i fire everything up and drive her around. never any worry about it starting, other than the battery but so far haven't had to jump it!

still think it will be a bad behind baby dually flatbed truck someday.

Edited by mtdave2

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, mtdave2 said:

I till have the rig, it still runs well though one bad choice has caught up to me. i debated to delete the ERG. its a common exhaust leak for these engines. i got rid of the original style and used hard piping...but it now leaks badly. there is just no easy way to get to it to weld or delete. i have all the parts and tools setting in the rig ready to drill an access hole from the cab, fix the leak then close the whole. thinking ill make it an access port and secure with a seal and screws incase i need to get in there again.

overall its still in good shape, though that back shower and floor will need to be ripped out and fixed not sure where water got in, but some where. 

I would still sell it, if it was the right person who is a gear head and can do things i would sell pretty cheap in my mine, $5k bottom firm, without the 3500 generator on the back. 8k with. It has been setting near San Antonino tx under cover at an rv storage lot for 4 years. each year when I'm down there i fire everything up and drive her around. never ay worry of it starting, other than battery but so far haven't had to jump it!

still think it will be a bad behind baby dually flat bed truck someday.

You still want to sell it I have cash. I am thinking of doing the same swap on my 91 dolphin but I would rather just sell mine and buy yours. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After several years being in Texas while I lived all over the darn place, the rv is here at my house in Wisconsin. should get everything fixed up and well. still impressed by how well the 1uz motors run. even with the exhaust leak the thing just runs strong. I will evaluate the water leak on the drivers rear corner and decide the fate of the camper. would be an fabulous little dump truck or flat bed. 

im still up for selling to the right person, though the prices are going to go up the more i have to do! 

if you ever wanted to know what is needed to tow our rigs. i have a 22 ft flat bed trailer with a 10k rating, and a new 2022 chevy 2500 diesel.  more than enough to pull them, truck barley even blinked!

20221113_142610.jpg

20221113_073247.jpg

20221113_161944.jpg

20221113_180603.jpg

20221114_105142.jpg

Got to love that Duramax. My 16’ Galavan and a Detroit 6-71T (4K lbs.) towed from NC to NH in a 2005 3500 Chevy. 70+ mph the entire trip.

D04D6A60-D04F-4D97-B639-F3415A9A52F4.jpeg

Everybody wants a diesel powered Toyota MH, you had the perfect solution all there.😛

Funny story. I was stopped at a diner on I84 going northbound. A woman parked near was looking at the motorhome and the Detroit diesel. She asked me about both, so I told her the Detroit was an engine upgrade for the camper. Her eyes got really wide, but I couldn’t hold back my laughter. She realized I was pulling her leg. Still chuckle about this today.

On 12/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, mtdave2 said:

still impressed by how well the 1uz motors run.

My all original ‘97 Lexus LS400 has 453,xxx miles and still runs like a champ. I change the oil (Mobil 1) every 6,000 miles, at which point it is about a quart low. They are truly awesome engines. 

• 4 months later...

finally will be able to fix all the mechanical bugs now that the rig is in Wisconsin. once that is done i will have to evaluate to sell it, make it a flat bed, or fix the coach issues. 

good news is how nicely the rig runs in the cold. i started it several times over the winter and i never had a lick of problems, just turn the key and boom. could not say the same for my 2008 rv or my three other vehicles. they all had battery issues, or hard starting. not the dolphin, got great satisfaction over that.  

Edited by mtdave2

29 minutes ago, linda s said:

The coach doesn't look bad. If I were you I'd refurbish it. Toyota motorhomes are going for big bucks and with a Lexus engine I would expect you to get 25,000 or more for it. 

Linda S

You are correct on the prices for sure! honestly i have talked several people out of buying the rig because the new owner would have to be a gear head. there is no shop anywhere that would work on it.  i did know that when i did the swap that selling would be a challenge. If i found the right person, they would get a heck of deal for that reason. otherwise i will just make a baby duel flatbed out out it! would be really awesome 

6 hours ago, mtdave2 said:

honestly i have talked several people out of buying the rig because the new owner would have to be a gear head. there is no shop anywhere that would work on it.  

I wouldn’t say that. As long as you have all of the info on what is what, I’d bet quite a few independent shops would work on it. 

I might have the same problem with my ‘81 Corona wagon, as it has 3rd Gen (‘82-‘85) Celica front struts that are shortened with MR2 AGX adjustable struts and 300# Summit Racing springs, an Addco Mk II Supra (‘82-‘85.5) sway bar and master cylinder, ‘87-‘88 Cressida front calipers and rotors, a Mk I (‘78-‘81) Supra rear diff (disc brakes and limited slip), aftermarket camber plates and Roll Center Adjusters…

well, we will see what happens. the coach has a major issue in the back, will require some involved work to repair the floor and fix whatever is rotted causing it to sag. not a big deal for me, just time that i dont have much of. i will fix the exhaust leak and a few minor things then list it. if i can get to the coach repairs i will, and if it doesnt sell by the time im done, or decide to flat bed it, i will keep it. thing is too much fun with that motor in it. 

• 2 months later...

the rig has been totaled. Squirrels did it.. here I thought it would have been a deer. lol 

Edited by mtdave2
updated