Looks nice and clean.

Nice work on the battery box. Mine are pretty ghetto. I'll be interested to hear how those rubber hold-downs work out for you. I just put some on mine that look very similar. This doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to fall apart, but the outside of the rubber has already started to crack after three weeks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well after all this work, and knowing my luck, I decided to get some protection for the engine. My biggest fear is to get this all done, have everything working good and then hit a deer or something. So I added this nice beefy bumper. still need to paint it up nice and hook up lights but that will be done once all this other stuff is done. the new motor is 80 pounds lighter than the v6, and the old bumper is about 20. I'm guessing this bumper is 100 pounds or so, that makes it about a wash weight wise.

post-7786-0-23196700-1429059119_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-52373400-1429059125_thumb.jp

still dont know how to fix the @#$@#%ing sideways photos..sorry

First of all the typical cause...you are rotating your camera from the standard position. This happens most frequently when using the cameras built into cell phones and tablets. If you don't rotate the camera you probably won't have rotated photos. But then again technology often tosses egg on my face and it turns out to be something else and that something else is a bit of coding in the cell phones and how they save photos fast enough to do more rapid shots in succession. It is coding that apparently a lot of websites including forums, industructibles and facebook can't interpret when people upload the upside down (or sideways) photos.

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

Prevention, don't rotate your cell phone when taking photos.

Fix open the image in a photo editing program and rotate it once around the clock then hit save. Don't ask me why that works as I did not write the software. Shake it up baby, twist and shout ;)

I have rotated them! I never have trouble on any other forum. just an odd deal. when I click on those photos on my desk top, they show up right side up. post them here, and sideways is what i get. hum

• 2 weeks later...

a little more progress. I did not want to try to stuff a trany cooler and an oil cooler in front of the radiator. so I stuffed this awesome cooler in the engine bay. It is a dual fluid cooler, one for the trany, the other for oil and has it own fan.

The first issue is air flow, where will the fan push the air? so I welded in a louvered deal. may help get some of the heat out of the engine bay. I'm hoping it works ok, if not I'll make a shroud funneling the air to the louvers. I get my hand up in there and there is some good airflow. we will see!

linked a video of it running, the sucker really sucks, or blows, or whatever. the odd noise is not the fan, it is the power prob i was using to power up the fan.

https://youtu.be/nvK-OCKGBmg

post-7786-0-69360300-1429837441_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-80309100-1429837488_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-32657100-1429837567_thumb.jp

Now all you need is a vent on the other side and some Corvette vents in front of the door in the front fender.

well if there is room on that side, my fuse boxes are gong over there..

some more photos.. dry fit everything. the hood closed. now just need to weld up the mounts for the bumper. nice to see what it will look like once done...... can not wait!

post-7786-0-97928300-1429910744_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-48025100-1429910755_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-96920000-1429910810_thumb.jp

guess those photos look just like the other ones. the difference is everything is mounted. radiator and all the bits. and the bumper is up 3 inches higher were it should be.

ok, this is kinda cool i think. Turning out really awesome. Oil filter, and transmission fluid filter. i can squat by the wheel and reach up and unscrew the filters. most accessible filters I have ever seen. going to be a pleasure to change the oil. oil filter has the orange fram filter on it an one AN hose. the other cool thing is both filters are the same, and happen to be the same one on my old chevy truck so a case of filters will work for everything. cool huh?

post-7786-0-50579900-1430270530_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-43353600-1430270537_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-51883500-1430270555_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-87281500-1430270562_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-34669500-1430270574_thumb.jp

next is the intake. the stock intake has a box on the bottom that there is just not room for and the angle was off just a bit, could work but i decided to build one. use a 3 inch exhaust U fitting and cut it in half, then got the angle right and welded together. drill and weld in a pile for the vacuum with a bit of brake line for the smaller tube. Little paint, and a bracket and this sucker looks great and is solid.

post-7786-0-46023100-1430271045_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-24504500-1430271056_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-45196900-1430271063_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-08569700-1430271069_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-10377900-1430271072_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-15354800-1430271078_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-01617400-1430271085_thumb.jp

It's not as drastic as that photo makes it look. The rv is on ramps so that makes it look odd. There is a slant but I don't think it's a major deal.

Been working on installing the cooler lines. One fitting left to get and then I can do the final assembly of the front end stuff! The braided hoses and AN fitting are really awesome. I hope there are no leaks, but I did take my time. Both oil and trany fluid have inline filters, and get ran through the cooler. I should be able to do 80 up hill in the desert and stay cool! lol

post-7786-0-93444600-1431209268_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-70219100-1431209279_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-80224900-1431209287_thumb.jp

Looks good, FWIW I've always been told no tape on oil fittings. But I don't use AN fittings

ya, I had a few ppl tell ,me that. oh well! i guess the an fitting dont need it. I stopped using it for the last few fitting. I just dont want a leak! If there is, it all comes out again to get it. before i put the grill and stuff on, I will fire it up to be sure.

you know, its not the actual wiring work that takes time, its figuring out what to wire! ha! my head hurts and eyes are crossed from looking at wiring diagrams. Made some good progress, almost have the dash wired in, one of the three connectors done, new relays mounted to new bracket. sooo. getting close to fire up.

Many years ago in a land far away early in the learning curve. I diy a trailer hitch and wiring. I did fine until in downtown Attica NY I put on the left hand turn signal and the trailer started applying the brakes with every blink :Poster_oops: Jim SW FL

got the harness built finally. hate to know how many hours it took, but most of the time is spent figuring out what goes where, or not used or.. not a fun job. Did get most of it installed, There are a handfull of wires here and there to hook up. I am thinking it is very possible to at least get it to run for a few seconds tomorrow? we will see.

I did spend 4 hours verifying the excel doc i made on what i connected where, and the pinouts of each of the plugs. I guess i understand now why people do not post the information, There has to be at least 60 hours of work to make the document. But, I will post it when I am done. it may help someone out, I would have loved to had something like this when I started. I will wait until im done to be sure I dont have to adjust something, but once i l know it works, I will post the information.

What made my swap far more difficult was using the factory lexus dash, it added another level of complication. though, there are a few wires the toyota just does not have! so, you would not have things like a 3rd gear light on the dash, and all sorts of warning lights ect. Glad I did it, but Im not sure id want to again. Though it would be far easier now that I have wrapped my head around it, think that took the most time.

so, the radiator is not installed, and the trany lines are open but I wanted to start this thing. freaking runs and sounds like a dragster! tomorrow ill get the radiator in and finish up some wiring. still lots of work to do but man what a feeling to fire it up!

sorry for the poor quality of the the first one, I have no idea why that camera did such a crappy job!

the second one is better, and yes i was expecting the trany fluid. My buddy was not lol.

the first fire up

the second

love how smooth it runs, and does not move an inch!

Victory is at hand.

Frankenstein exhaust to get it everything working and then to drive it the the muffler shop. kinda cool steam punk looking thing huh

post-7786-0-02158000-1432696440_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-86046200-1432696445_thumb.jp