ya it will take hours i am sure! I have all the wires labeled on the dash, now i just need to label the wires in the dolphin. at least the seat will be comfortable while doing it. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the weather would just cooperate... the motor is ready to go in and the motor mounts fitted. Someday ill have a garage large enough for the RV!

Got the garage, but at -25 not enough heater.

Good Morning Dave do you have any pictures of your motor and trans mounts?? Im also interested in modifications to get driveshaft to connect to trans.

thanks

John

I will post them once i get them set. The drive shaft will be interesting. I will let the drive line shop figure out the best way to go. the problem as you know is that the lexus uses a doughnut connection, and I need a yoke! so, I am sure they will have some sort of conversion linkage.???

Once the motor is set in and everything bolted, the next thing will be the drive line. so stay tuned!

The trany mounting. I took the trany bracket off the dolphin and cut it down. Then I added some 1/4 inch steal and drilled some holes. I used the mount from the Lexus.

I may have to do some reaming on the holes but I am close!

post-7786-0-09054000-1421625473_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-15718800-1421625482_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-02096500-1421625491_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-08910100-1421625498_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-13261700-1421625573_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-86194000-1421625582_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-16910700-1421625595_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-30150500-1421628839_thumb.jp

because of the tight clearances with this big behind motor, I have been worried about heat. So I wrapped the manifolds, and fabbed up the heat shields. I decided to put in a few heat shields in the engine bay as well. rubber parts on the steering shaft, and on the suspension, also the brake and fuel lines. Not the prettiest but I think I will feel better!

post-7786-0-47595200-1422230858_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-52608500-1422230873_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-03848800-1422230881_thumb.jp

Ah, so nice and clean :)

What's the arrow in the engine compartment?

Have you used poly engine mounts before? I've heard they transmit more vibration than rubber, but possibly with a 2wd loaded down motorhome, it will make less of a difference.

Ah, so nice and clean :)

What's the arrow in the engine compartment?

Have you used poly engine mounts before? I've heard they transmit more vibration than rubber, but possibly with a 2wd loaded down motorhome, it will make less of a difference.

The arrow is a magnet that i was using to hold the mounts square while I welded. Forgot to grab it!

I have heard about the vibration issue too, I am hoping for the best! lol. hopefully it wont be an issue, and people who have used these say they have less vibration and even less after they brake in a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

decided to go with a remote oil filter, just making life easier. I change the crap out of oil, so having the filter up out of the way will be nice. This is a really nice solid unit. rather pleased with it at this point, we will see how it all comes together at the end. one other cool deal is, I can use the same filer as my old chevy truck =)

post-7786-0-70424600-1423192031_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-52499100-1423192043_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-99638600-1423192049_thumb.jp

I have no useful info to add, this is far above my skill level. But I am enjoying your posts and pictures and appreciate the time and effort you are putting into posting them.

I do have an eye out for trans plant potential seats for mine, but it is way down the list.

Thanks JIm SW FL

progress! a mile stone in a swap. the motor and trany are bolted in the rv. though I think i will add another shim to the drivers side mount to raise the exhaust manifold off the steering shaft a little more.. but it is in, and the trany is bolted to the mount. took forever to get to this point! kinda jacked about it. now there is all sorts of things that will happen quickly.

post-7786-0-20859800-1423351008_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-94893100-1423351017_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-68268900-1423351025_thumb.jp

Nice work! You're definitely working with some tight clearances in there.

The people on this forum are a little less engine/drivetrain fabrication & tech heavy than maybe some other forums, so I guess don't expect a ton of questions and comments. We do a lot of fixing of our vehicles, and maybe a lot of coach modifications, but engine swaps and all that aren't happening daily around here.

I'm guessing people are still enjoying watching your progress. And for charity sake, you never know when someone might do a search on this type thing, and find your thread, and think "jackpot!" Almost 1,400 views of your thread as of the date I'm posting this, if that says anything to you.

got the shim installed. the motor has clearance all around now, very please with where it sits. I think the style of motor mounts i used will work well, having the ability to just place a shim in is very handy when dealing with such close clearances.

I did get all the fuel line ran and put in a new fuel filter. I had to make a few adjustments to the routing, keeping it way from the exhaust. I ended up putting on some fuel hose that fit perfectly over the metal line, to protect it from some places that were a bit to tight and may rub. worked well.

I ran some wires to the fuel pump and fired it up, flushed the lines then connected it to the engine. after pressurizing the lines, I only had one leak =)

nice to be making progress.

post-7786-0-51213000-1424128358_thumb.jpBecause of the close clearances to the steering gear, the return hose is very very tight. I screwed around with my pipe bender and flaring tool but could not get a tight enough bend. I did find this fitting at the parts store. Works like a charm,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/powercraft-16mm-male-o-ring-x-3-8-beaded-tube-39106/18071017-P

One really cool thing is I was able to use my original toyota pressure side power steering hose, bolts right up to the pump on the 1uzfe. Sweet!

I may do the seat exchange, but I am not touching the dash!

I watch what you do in amazement. I am at my limits trying to get the right shocks and other suspension parts! JIm SW FL

• 2 weeks later...

HA! true. Though I am working in the garage today, making a wiring harness and tracing wiring. I am lucky to have a 2nd motor with a complete harness so i don't have to do it out side.

• 1 month later...

still working. moving at the speed of smell, but making progress.

Wiring, it has been a very steep learning curve. i am finally starting to make patch harnesses, still have a way to go. I have made pin outs for all the connectors, and labeled all the wires. shoot me now.

i may take a break from wiring and install the radiator, and or the exhaust, something to get my eyes to go back straight!

lol

post-7786-0-07984800-1428107511_thumb.jp

so i had to do something other than wiring so, i installed a battery box, and connected the power steering completely. I even filled it with fluid and spun it up with my drill. I was amazed how much torque it took when i had someone in the cab turning the wheel. it stopped my 18 volt drill! good news is there are no leaks, and the person turning the wheel was amazed how little effort it took. she is gona steer sooooo nice.

post-7786-0-67490200-1428255765_thumb.jp

It's a monstrosity!! :) It's just crazy every time I get a look at it, how you've stuffed that thing in there.

It's sure going to be nice to test it out on a mountain pass. And see the looks on the faces of the big Ford/Chevy/Dodge guys as you sail past them on the interstate.

Power steering would be nice...but then in my 78, it just feels right to have to spin the wheel the way I do to make a turn. Part of the charm, I guess...

montana, I hope you are right! I really hope that I can cruise up the pass at 65! I can not wait to fire this thing up, sigh....lots more work to do.

just for a kick i put the plastic top on the motor, can sorta see what it will look like

post-7786-0-97636500-1428286162_thumb.jp