Something Is Draining The Battery.... But What?

mobilehippo

Hi there,

So I've winterized up my RV and I'm not really driving her anymore. I just turn the engine on once every 2-3 weeks to keep her going like I've done in the past during winter.

However this time, her battery is getting drained out and I'm not able to get her to start anymore without a jump. It's strange because I never had this problem before and the battery is only 2 years old. I recently had to put a hardline in with a 15amp fuse to my car horn because it wasn't working with the old wire. Not sure if that could be the reason but there isn't much connected that would drain her. I don't have the lights on or anything. I have also recently changed her alternator and voltage regulator. Do you think it could have been faulty work there?

Thanks so much. Any feedback would be very helpful!

Well you need to find out what's drawing it down. What I would do is connect a test light between one of the removed battery cables and the battery post. If there is a load the light will light so start pulling fuses until it goes out.

Use the test light and remove the fuses 1 at a time. Start with the new horn fuse.

battery is getting drained out and I'm not able to get her to start anymore without a jump. It's strange because I never had this problem before and the battery is only 2 years old.

Easiest sure way to test is get yourself a $5 VOM and measure the milliamp draw between one battery cable and the battery (when key is shut off). That eliminates guess-work. A reading of 80 milliamps or less (a little less then 1/10th of an amp) is normal. Anything more can drain the battery in a month or so. Many new vehicles draw near 100 milliamps, all the time and will kill a battery in one month if not started. Much depends on the size of the battery. Your battery is probably around 60 amp-hours. Hooked to a 80 milliamp draw, 24 hours a day and never being started, will kill the battery in one month. That is normal for a new vehicle. Not necessarily normal for an older vehicle unless you've added gadgets like remote start or an alarm system.

would not hurt too have battery check ed out anyway still could be the battery take battery get full charged and put on battery testing machine to make shure. have seen brand new ones that were no good.