Diesel Versus Gas

zero

Boy am I glad I got rid of my diesel RV and switched to the Toyota. Diesel fuel is supposed to be cheaper to refine then gasoline yet look at the prices. With diesel costing a over a dollar more per gallon - pretty much any advantage to having a diesel rig is lost.

post-6578-0-00520000-1415631058_thumb.jp

Boy am I glad I got rid of my diesel RV and switched to the Toyota. Diesel fuel is supposed to be cheaper to refine then gasoline yet look at the prices. With diesel costing a over a dollar more per gallon - pretty much any advantage to having a diesel rig is lost.

Many years ago, my old job used to take me into a refinery or two. *You are correct. Diesel requires only a partial amount (not sure how much less) of the effort of making gasoline. For the sake of discussion, if diesel is only 2/3 of the process, why doesn't diesel cost the consumer about 1/3 less to purchase? There is something tricky going on in the marketing of fuels.

~Riverman77

Around here, diesel is a couple of cents a litre more than Regular. So maybe maybe 10 cents/US gallon. I don't know if there are different taxes on diesel vs gas.

BTW, my 87 octane is bargain priced at ~$1.20/litre (~$4.56/ US gallon), down from ~$1.50 (~$5.70).

Yes, but you get "free" healthcare and the real Canadian versions of Labatts and Molson.

BTW, my 87 octane is bargain priced at ~$1.20/litre (~$4.56/ US gallon), down from ~$1.50 (~$5.70).

Yeah, Here on the left coast 87 octance is ($2.75/US gallon). Haven't seen that in years! Time to do some sight seeing!

Never thought I'd see the day when gas under $3 a gallon seemed like a bargain. I was working at a Mobil station in the late 60s when regular was 25 cents per gallon. I remember when the "big change" came and the old pump registers could not price gas over a dollar and they had to be replaced.

Hi in uk diesel is now £1.32 a litre unleaded £1.23. Everyone with a diesel motorhome thinks they 30+mpg in reality nearer 25-26 mpg. my v6 dolphin gets 20mpg in mixed driving. So very little difference in cost per mile. diesels need more servicing and very expensive parts when they break down. dual mass flywheels biggest expense £1000 to buy then need fitting. gearbox out job on front wheel drive 8hrs labour to swap. new clutch is very recommended as it has to be removed when flywheel is swapped. life span 50000 miles on dual mass flywheel solid flywheel indefinitely. there are now conversions to solid from dual mass. now tell me diesels are more cost effective than a petrol. i have driven many diesels in cars vans and lorries fantastic when working right. now best diesel i owned was a nissan terrano 2.7 turbo bullet proof would burn anything from diesel to used engine oil even put petrol in by mistake still ran. pulled like a train pull 4 tons no bother. when running solo got 35mpg on mud and snow tyres. pity rust killed front end like all the others. same engine is used by London black cabs. never will an engine like this will be built again.

. . . 2.7 turbo bullet proof would burn anything from diesel to used engine oil even put petrol in by mistake still ran. pulled like a train pull 4 tons no bother. when running solo got 35mpg on mud and snow tyres. pity rust killed front end like all the others. same engine is used by London black cabs. never will an engine like this will be built again.

I've had a few 2.3 litre "black London taxi-cab" diesels in farm tractors here in the US. Poorly built and designed as compared to other diesels of the same vintage. The diesels I'm talking about were made by Standard Diesel model 23C made in Great Britain and used the Ricardo Comet precombustion-chamber system. My 1960 Allis Chalmers ED-40 farm tractor had one. So did my Ferguson 35. Used a CAV rotary injection pump.

the conspiracy is the impending collapse of society where gasoline is worthless because of its short shelf life. get rid of it now cheap; and punish the smarty pants that want to stockpile diesel... oh and don't forget the heating oil aspect of winter time pricing. Diesel always trends upwards of gas in the winter time; the time you save is summer when gas is $$$. Putin doesn't help matters by cutting of natural gas supplies to europe this further keeps the demand high for diesel/heating oil.

true enough, winter is the time to drive a gasser.

The US is the number one exporter of diesel and we burn it to keep warm and we wonder why it is expensive?

Depends on the era of the 'Black London' cab.

"In February 1989 the Fairway was introduced. It was fitted with a 2,664 cc Nissan TD27 diesel engine. This made the FX4 a faster and more reliable cab."

THAT sounds like a much better engine. When I was working for a John Deere dealer, my service vehicle was an International Scout II with a Nissan turbo diesel. It was a great rig (mechanically). A total piece of junk, sheet-metal wise. At that time, diesel at the pump was less then regular gas. Diesel NOT at the pump was sometimes only 40 cents a gallon if bought on "spring special" when all the winter-grade diesel was getting dumped. It was 50% kerosene and fuel mileage dropped a lot - but at that price, still a bargain. I don't hear of any "spring specials" anymore.

the conspiracy is the impending collapse of society where gasoline is worthless because of its short shelf life. get rid of it now cheap; and punish the smarty pants that want to stockpile diesel... oh and don't forget the heating oil aspect of winter time pricing. Diesel always trends upwards of gas in the winter time; the time you save is summer when gas is $$$. Putin doesn't help matters by cutting of natural gas supplies to europe this further keeps the demand high for diesel/heating oil.

true enough, winter is the time to drive a gasser.

Well - I don't pretend to know why diesel has been higher then gasoline most of the time in the northeast and midwest. I DO know it started after they started cooking the diesel to get the sulfur out of it. That's when the Feds claimed it would only add 5 cents to the price of a gallon. Same process also takes some of the BTU energy out of the "new" diesel and it cannot give as good fuel mileage at the older higher-sulfur #2 diesel.

I was just reading that another big plan on the horizon is to start making ultra-low-sulfur gasoline. If that happens - hey . . maybe gas will be $5 a gallon and diesel only $4.50. Good grief!!

Now that ultra-low-sulfur diesel has been rolled out nationwide starting in 2007, U.S. regulators are now turning their attention to a far more widely-used fuel among everyday drivers, gasoline. The transition from low to ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel saw a reduction from 500 parts per million (PPM) to just 15 PPM, and is credited with enabling the introduction of more advanced injection and emissions technologies for newer-model diesel engines. Sulfur is believed to be a major contributor to diesel particulate emissions, and the move to ULSD has largely changed the perception of diesel engines as being gross polluters. Ironically, gasoline currently sold in the U.S. has a higher sulfur allowance than diesel fuel, at 30 PPM. The goal is to reduce the sulfur level in gasoline to 10 PPM starting in 2017, with an eight-year phase-in ending in 2025.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_epa_looking_to_lower_sulfur_levels_gasoline.html#ixzz3IiFLkKIY

Hi my terrano/pathfinder had last version of 2.7 td. best thing about this engine was its flat torque curve. with limited slip diff 4wd and mud/snow tyres suited my area scottish highlands. as a previous poster mentioned sheet metal at front was short lived due to lack of rust prevention and no top coat on inside of outer wings. shame as it was better than a toyota hilux. which is saying something.

Diesel fuel costs more than gasoline because of government rules on sulfur emissions. When the rules took effect the price of diesel went up something like 25 to 40 percent.

Diesel fuel costs more than gasoline because of government rules on sulfur emissions. When the rules took effect the price of diesel went up something like 25 to 40 percent.

Yes and the projection at that time was no more then a 5 cents per gallon hike. To add insult to injury - the new diesel has less BTU energy in it and provides worse fuel mileage. But - a few years ago I was still buying high sulfur farm-diesel and heating- oil and even that was priced higher then regular gasoline. So there has to be more to all this then just the cost of cooking the sulfur out of the diesel.

In a few years - the USA is going over to low-sulfur gasoline. Wonder what sort of mess THIS will be? Right now - gasoline has more sulfur content then then ultra-low sulfur diesel.