I'm So Downhearted That I Haven't Even Looked.

On Tuesdays my son has his autistic Teen Group from 7 to 9 PM. It's about a half hour away. I've gotten into the habit of taking the Dolphin over and working on it while he does his thing. Last night I was going to finish packing up all the canned goods and anything else that might freeze to complete my winterization.

When we left I had a premonition. Since the time change, it was dark already for the first time this season. Then I started thinking about the deer rut starting up. And I couldn't get it out of my head. I was thinking about how much my visibility dropped when a line of cars were coming the other way. Their headlights really mess up my view and I have to dim my lights. As I'm thinking that a deer jumped out, turned around, too late, Bang.

Oh, it's really not that bad. I don't think so at least. I didn't even feel like looking at it today, I've been working on that thing all summer. I know the right turn signal is gone. I didn't see any fender damage. The channel by the side door is ripped up about a foot. The bottom channel behind the rear wheel is ripped off. Could have been worse. I'm glad I got it inspected a month early. The only thing that has to be fixed immediately is the turn signal.

Still makes me sick. So where do I get those channel pieces?

So sorry about your accident. People have fixed much worse. One of our members made a left hand turn in front of a truck in Mexico. He managed to get it fixed with the help of locals and went on his way. Don't exactly know what channel your talking about but if you can post a pic I will look for it

Linda S

Thank you. Yeah, I know, it's just a pain and I don't have much money. We wanted to do a Florida trip this winter and it just makes it harder. It's just that channel that goes all around the fiberglass rigs, where you put the screws. maybe there's another name for it. probably easy to get.

If it's still there maybe you can hammer it back into shape. I have bent metal stuff using trees, the concrete curve on my driveway. All kinds of crazy stuff. Narrow piece of wood that fits into the insert area will save the grooves so insert trim will still fit properly. I have opened those grooves when bent closed by hammering a screw driver along the inside of the lines. Where there's a will there's a way

Linda

I have seen a couple campers on this site with Ranch Hand front bumpers. I would LOVE to find a company or indy welder to make one for my rig like the one I put on my dodge ram. I know they add a couple hundred pounds but also protect the vehicle. I Hit a deer in my dodge the other night and it didn't even dent it. The deer was so bad it couldn't even be saved for meat.

Linda any ideas on where we might get ranch hand bumpers?

Thank you. Yeah, I know, it's just a pain and I don't have much money. We wanted to do a Florida trip this winter and it just makes it harder. It's just that channel that goes all around the fiberglass rigs, where you put the screws. maybe there's another name for it. probably easy to get.

Here is where you can purchase the aluminum molding. They also sell the vinyl strip that goes into it.

http://www.all-rite.com/insert-moldings-c-54.html

Thank you every buddy. Yeah, hopefully I can bend the front piece back into shape. I'll probably have to drill and dowel the wood since the screws were ripped out. There's probably many options for the back bottom trim, it doesn't have to match the other side. You can only see one side at a time. HeeHee.

Well I'm getting to the point where I can start to laugh about my impact with the four legged one. I said that I was so disheartened that I didn't want to look at it or think about what happened. It took me til yesterday before I finally realized, "You big dummy; the turn signal didn't get broken, that's the corner marker light! The turn signal probably isn't working cause the shock broke the bulb filament." I'll find out here shortly once the sun gets up.

As I said, I'm glad I got the Dolphin state inspected a month early. If I had waited, I'd have to hurry and get all this stuff fixed right quick. If I can change the bulb and get the turn signal working, everything else can wait til I get to it. That corner light assembly is only about 20 bucks brand new. I haven't figured out if that includes the socket. I need the socket. Loving those strong steel fenders right now.