My 1989 toyota Dolphin is riding way lower than it ever has. I know for a fact that the right air schock (where you would go to fill the air up) is popped or broken because when you fill it up you will immediately hear the air draining from the inside. As far as I know the left side is still in tact. So I am on the road and I noticed about 2-3 days ago that it suddenly was riding lower than it ever has been. The back rack is scraping even when going over a bump :/. I am very low on funds so I do not want to take it into a shop until I have a general idea of what's really going on. If any one has any insight or knowledge on this subject please get back to me, I appreciate it so much!!

Make up some soapy water, spray it on all the joints/couplings in the air lines. Also the filler valve. Look for bubbles

Your problem may be a simple leak.

Yes find the leak first. Lines and Schrader valves are easily replaced. If it is the bags one of our members Totem used Slime in his and managed to make his last a few more years. Maybe he will see this and tell us how he did it again.

Linda S

Slime only works when there is a small hole at the bottom of the air shock. It can't fix leaks that are up higher. An air shock does not roll around spreading slime on all the surfaces.

Haven't you ever watched a space movie? The pressure of the air flowing out of the leak pushes anything in there towards the hole. I think I remember Totem removed the Schrader valves before he slimed it and then put them back in and re-inflated the bags. That would have sprayed it around the inside of the bag too. He mentioned he is short of money now and for a few bucks he could at least give it a try. Do you even have air suspension bags?

Linda S

here's Totem's explanation

Will further explain, by fill ups I mean air. Tire slime if you have never used it is a water soluable green suspension that has a ground substrate in it. You remove the valve from the stem at the fill up screw, which will release all pressure and you squeeze the goo in the valve stem. Then screw valve back in and air up. The goo makes its way to the leak and plugs it. Not meant for huge leaks and is a temp fix for sure but far better than fix a flat etc. I know I need new bags as mine are from the 90s, but hey after a slime in each bag, aired them and they leaked maybe 3 more times, kept airing they are per mantle pressured where I want them now. I also put some stainless steel valve air gauge caps on the valves that I had custom made online. To me it's a great solution to squeeze some more years; slime does not set or cast.

yep to be clear, Karin is correct, I had leak in bottom of my bag according to my mech. Also something else; be prepared for a messy job with the slime ... you start by unscrewing the valve all the way out. Then you have to hand squeeze that slime in which creates a bit of a back pressure.

I think one could get a MUCH better slime performance if they slimed using 2 people... one man on the slime and one man on a jack jacking up the frame.

Here is why:

while you jack up the frame, it lets the axle begin to hang which will actually vacuum in the slime making it easier to squeeze in. once you get a good amount of slime in have the jack man keep jacking a bit after removing the slime bottle to keep it in there then put the valve back in and pressurize it to 60 lbs and lower it slowly. then air up more to where you want to be.

If on next day it has leaked a bit repeat this process ; each time more slime makes its way to the bag. It does take a lot of slime to traverse the long hose (7 feet in my case).

Also, I never tried these but I saw a pair of Airless helper bags that go in much the same way as the aired ones at Napa recently. Essentially they looked like the dog toy called "Kong". install would be same, jack up frame, remove old bag put in airless bag and lower down. I would reckon that would make a STIFF ride though

Yes could repair but its dangerous. I Used a tire patch (glue based) on airbags in a subaru legacy when i was in college. The intertube patch would indeed hold the shock pressure for a while, maybe 3 months... Its what happens later that sucks. Total failure in firm of explosion of bag.

Timbren.com