Pulling Trailer

vtchris

1991 V6 19' Toy. Friend wants to pull 5x8 enclosed trailer with motorcycle etc full time. Comments please. Anyone with real life experience?

Thoughts, not experience:-

The Toyota 1-Ton SRW with the 22R-E was rated with a combined GVWR (Toyota plus trailer) of 8500lb. I've never seen a combined GVWR published for the 1-Ton DRW (either 22R-E or 3VZ-E) but I can't imagine it would be less than 8500lb.

If I wanted to tow, I'd beef up the engine and transmission cooling, reinforce the frame extensions for a good hitch and install brakes on the trailer.

EDIT:- Oh, and change the rear axle ratio to either 4.56:1 or 4.88:1.

$_57.JPG

i have a 93 winnie warrior. Just the tongue weight of a trailer would put me close to max vehicle weight -

1) my manual says no towing

2) looking at my frame, to create a solid tow point would require massive rebuild (yours may be different, but the mfg used rather flimsy looking "C" beams to extend frame - with the strength in the cabin it appears to be working fine, but no way would I trust putting any tow load built off that extension.

3) Not sure how squirrelly things would get - say going downhill with any speed while towing & have to use max braking...

My final thought- if someone really wants to pull a trailer, get a bigger heavier camper designed to handle the load

Good luck & safe travels!

Very strange. The tow rating for the V6 is the same as the 22re. Seems odd doesn't it. Of course we need to remember some of these rigs weigh lots more than the GVWR to begin with. That definitely cuts down on the tow weight. Also Toyota specifies that it have a frame mounted tow hitch. Those extensions in the rear of our rigs are not strong enough to handle the extra weight. Oh and that tow rating is for a manual transmission. Auto is less but I don't know how much. According to an owner on Pirate who actually has a manual.

Most of the problems I've heard about towing were not getting it going but stopping. trailer brakes are a must

Linda S