Anyone Have A Dolphin Ecu (Engine Computer) For Sale?

Riverman77

I have a 1987 Dolphin, 2.4 EFI and am in need of a good, used ECU engine computer brain.

The part number on my failed unit is #89661-35040.

I have been told I should try to find one with the same part number. Has anyone had any success

making this type of swap with one of a slightly different part number?

I will appreciate any help locating this part and will a send check, money order or PayPal.

Thanks in advance,

~Riverman77

I have a 1987 Dolphin, 2.4 EFI and am in need of a good, used ECU engine computer brain.

The part number on my failed unit is #89661-35040.

I have been told I should try to find one with the same part number. Has anyone had any success

making this type of swap with one of a slightly different part number?

I will appreciate any help locating this part and will a send check, money order or PayPal.

Thanks in advance,

~Riverman77

The difference in the part #s is from the program fed into it. My point being that you can have a different # box reprogrammed to fit your specific application. For your year Toyota - there are two versions for 2.4 engines with EFI. California is version #1, and Federal is version #2. I assume it has an EPROM or an EEPROM chip inside that can be erased and reprogrammed.

I have a used "Federal" computer from a 1987 1 ton dually truck with a 2.4 and EFI. No part number on it you can use since I assume it's been replaced once already. Replacements often have their own #s and not OEM Toyota #s. It ran when I got it but it had a blown head gasket and truck was rotted out. I scrapped it for parts. It may be fine and it may NOT be fine. I have no way to thoroughly check it. It came out of a truck that ran fine until the head gasket blew. $75 if you want to take a chance on it. That's the basic "core value" of a computer, even if dead.

So called "rebuilt" computers are available for around $300. They are tested, small parts fixed if needed, and reprogrammed. Cardone part # is 721188 for your rig.

post-6578-0-95143200-1414419236_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-73059900-1414419238_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-32551900-1414419240_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-53606400-1414419241_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-73244900-1414419242_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-07374200-1414419244_thumb.jp

JDE, we are following your tip to A-1 as a possibility. Your used "core" will not be needed.

DEREK, we have placed a quote request through Car-Parts. Will possibly consider a rebuilt unit through "Autocompu..." (you're right, it could be a late 1986?)

DAN, We ruled everything else out, because we exchanged the ECU from my friend's p.u. truck and my Dolphin immediately ran much better.

Thank you three for your input!

Anyone else care to chime in on this thread or have a spare ECU part #89661-35040 for sale, I would greatly appreciate it.

~Riverman77

JDE, we are following your tip to A-1 as a possibility. Your used "core" will not be needed.

DEREK, we have placed a quote request through Car-Parts. Will possibly consider a rebuilt unit through "Autocompu..." (you're right, it could be a late 1986?)

DAN, We ruled everything else out, because we exchanged the ECU from my friend's p.u. truck and my Dolphin immediately ran much better.

Thank you three for your input!

Anyone else care to chime in on this thread or have a spare ECU part #89661-35040 for sale, I would greatly appreciate it.

~Riverman77

The ECM I have worked fine when pulled. I'm calling it a "core" since I cannot guarantee it If I knew I needed an ECM for any of my rigs - I'd buy one that was tested , regardless if from a vehicle or from a reprogrammer-reseller-repair place. Junkyards offer great deals at times but I doubt you'll find an ECM that's actually been tested from that sort of source. You might also consider the fact that ECMs rarely go bad on their own. Parts of them usually fail due to an overload, external short, etc. Most of the input circuits to the ECM are not fuse-protected. If your's is bad - it's likely something external has caused that failure.

I assume you saw the 1987, part # 89661-35040 ECM for sale in Canada for $95? Phone #s 250-723-7222 / 250-724-1021 Stock # 021814

Also one in North Carolina with no price listed. "89661-35040 AS-IS" 336-696-6900

DEREK,

My friend's ECU came out of later model 4-Runner (I believe) and the part numbers were different. We all knew

it was kind of a crap shoot. But, it did greatly improve my coughing, sick engine. Again, we were simply screwing

around with some dumb ideas (hoping we weren't going to damage his perfectly good ECU in the process!).

~Riverman77

JDE,

I spoke too soon in one of my earlier posts. As a backup option, I am considering giving your used ECU a try. I would take FULL responsibility on the gamble of it working or not. We're just two folks in this same club trying to help the other out. If it didn't work, I would simply have a good core for one of those Electro-Guru's to kind of "rebuild". QUESTION: Was that blown head gasket rig a manual or an auto tranny?

Also, I must have somehow overlooked those two listings, you mentioned above. Thanks for posting them.

~Riverman77

JDE,

I spoke too soon in one of my earlier posts. As a backup option, I am considering giving your used ECU a try. I would take FULL responsibility on the gamble of it working or not. We're just two folks in this same club trying to help the other out. If it didn't work, I would simply have a good core for one of those Electro-Guru's to kind of "rebuild". QUESTION: Was that blown head gasket rig a manual or an auto tranny?

Also, I must have somehow overlooked those two listings, you mentioned above. Thanks for posting them.

~Riverman77

It was a 1987 1 ton dually box truck with the 2.4 EFI engine and auto trans. As far as I know, the same ECM is used for auto or manual. The only difference in ECMs for 1986-1987 trucks is the California emissions. So there's a California-only ECM, and a "rest of the world" ECM. I've been carrying mine for a spare but did it is NOT the correct ECM for my 1988. You can direct email me at wrenchyalot@yahoo.com

JDE,

I have just sent you a PM (at the top of this page) in regards to your ECU unit.

P.S. You did the right thing by informing others that you had just discovered the PM messaging system.

~Riverman77

I googled your part number - lotsof ecu's come up, I did not explore them all, but I did drill downinto rockauto's hit

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1277401,parttype,2896

About 2 from the bottom I think I saw your exact part number....

According to Toyota, the part number you listed covers from August 1985 to August 1987 build dates for the wt dual wheel chassis. August 1987 to August 1988 is a different part number, 89661-35140. Toyota does not have a separate California emissions ECU listed for this vehicle. I would post the link but my computer won't let me do that on this site anymore. Toyota has the part listed but they are all discontinued, just part numbers available. Seems very specific. All other 22re trucks from the same time period use different part numbers. Information found at toyotapartszone.com

Linda S

Toyota 22RE are 2.4 EFI engines with Federal emissions. 22REC are 2.4 EFI engines with California emissions. 1 ton duallies were probably exempt from California emissions requirements in 1986 and 1987. That's an assumption on my part. Just about every other truck during that time got exemptions when over a certain GVW rating. ECM # 8966135040 is a Federal emissions ECM used during model years (not build years) 1986 and 1987.

Thanks Dan, Linda & JDE for the information. It is beginning to look more like an 86 or 87 Federal ECU should work for mine. But, in either case I am perfectly willing to attempt some trial & error.

JDE, please send me a PM (the message board above) so we can exchange information. I would like to purchase & experiment with your used unit. Even if your ECU doesn't work correctly for my 87, I'll still be grateful to you that we made the attempt!

Thank You,

~Riverman77

JDE,

Please check your red dot (above) and your email. I sent you my information as well. I'm looking forward to making this purchase with you.

~Riverman77

I sent a private message with contact info.

You can wait until you get it before you pay, if you like. If fact, if you want to plug it in and try it first and decide you don't want it - you can send it back. If you want to do it that way, I just ask that you pay postage both ways and nothing else.
I was keeping it as a spare for my 1988 but it's the wrong computer for my model year. I figured if you take it I'll keep and eye out for the correct ECM.

JDE,

Wow, you are demonstrating such extremely rare kindness and much trust in a fellow Dolphin 'brother' in my time of need! I guess that is exactly what we do for each other on this great website...help, share and support each other.

I will be sure to update this thread to keep the others, who are following this conversation, informed as to how your ECU works out on my rig.

I'll send you a personal email, so we can discuss the final details of the shipping.

P.S. Your 'first snow' photos were great. It will soon look like that here, in the Pacific N.W.

Thanks again,

~Riverman77

As you already know, my first of two checks, went out in the mail yesterday.

I am looking forward to seeing if your ECU has the correct computer programming for my particular system. I have no doubt that unit worked well for you and your specific rig. I am just crossing my fingers both of our Toyotas rolled off the assembly line with the same programming installed.

If it works or doesn't, as I've said previously, I am very grateful for all of the support that we all provide for each other here on this fine website.

~Riverman77

Final Update On This Thread:

JDE promptly mailed me his spare ECU unit for my 87 Dolphin. We installed it today and it works great!

This great website not only is helpful to share notions and better ideas, occasionally we can even help another brother out by selling a very needed part .

Thank you to everyone who chimed in on this thread.

~Riverman77

Glad it worked. Now I can assume the former owner of that Toyota I scrapped was probably telling the truth when he told me it had been running great. I never tried it. Just took a torch to it and parted it out. Glad now I saved the engine. Wish I hadn't given away the A43D trans though.

• 2 years later...

Hi I'm Joseph looks like I need a 699-35040 ecu for my 86 year made dolphin, maybe even a AFM and tps not sure they test OK but may be for a regular pickup or off 84, small diameter. Everything has been mismatched on this with everything else has about 300,000 shows 119,000 but undercarriage doesn't lie here in Oregon, end of may registration is due this is my only home if I can't register it they will tow it anyplace anytime and in my disabling conditions this means death if homeless on foot, won't pass emissions off the chart readings even with a new cat, replaced anything questionable tested everything found that no matter what I did tps unplugged or not as soon as I touch the throttle dwell goes off the charts of course no power 272, crane cam and it will not communicate with the o2 sensor to the ecu timing way off sputters under no load dwell reaching as high as 60° at least meter won't go any higher and spastic, anything I missed? I specd out everything it pukes gas still, re block  22re head every sensor functions within parameters the AFM or air meter not sure couldn't get specs for a one ton but good clean linear voltage on all contacts, rockers way out of alignment on a few keep adjusting it till I get a real cam and rocker kit, I need to pass emissions a new ecu at this point is all I haven't tried to my knowledge verifying tomorrow wiring contacts and if I have the right ecu, so many thousands into it I can't lose my only home I will die in god knows when ?. Can someone help please? I only have a couple hundred to work with and can't wait to have it rebuilt I've heard the 4runners use a simular ecu different number will this work instead? Obd1 ecu with egr ac and knock with AFM late 86 almost 87, please I need your help I've already lost everything was lucky to get this and everything is coming apart I ran a auto business for 25 years I know my @##$$! II've hit this problem before and it always comes down to the ecu or injection control module as its called, I can unplug the signal going to the ignition from the ecu and it runs smooth seems to go into closed loop but repeats a code of 5 and 7 bad o2 or ecu issue, bad tps or ecu issue but won't pass like that no light but horrible emmisions no matter where I set the AFM and its been this way way before I got it I was lucky for this dolphin to be given too me at 7500 from someone else in the family after losing a hundred thousand dollar business, home and second job through crippling conditions. I can be reached at bjbrads74@gmail.com or text me at 503-997-9449 for anything and I mean any information on what to do I specialize in ac and engine performance have two rare cars left used to build race cars fast and hard in the corners maybe we can help each other preferred method of contact dont get notifications from this site for some reason hard to find the posts. Please help me I'm running out of time in every respect I still have to frame the roof to stop it from leaking and caving in almost four inch drop now and a million other issues engine and transmission in halfway decent shape though along with rear end and new tires, old backs blew and twisted up a coach support breaking the support shield so many problems and my days are limited will alone keeping me going and my 13 year old lab. Pleas help!

So sorry about your troubles but there aren't a lot of Toyota motorhomes sitting in junk yards. Finding a used one for you is close to impossible. The Toyota replacement is over $600 bucks and the cheapest I could find one is Oreiliy's for $293.

Linda S

Dont ask me how but I glitched the computer into working again runs like crap cold but eventually fully functions and passed emissions with almost nothing for readings, rebuilds just blow in a year everything good or not need a one ton or a turbo used or brand new one doesn't matter anyway found out the vin is a black market vin listed now to a prius, hoping DMV doesn't catch it but it has red flags all over, original vin listed to a 86 17 ft nothing original roof is ready to cave in. Disabled family took complete advantage of me this thing falling apart little income and absolutely no one will help even though I helped so many for endless years

There is a commonly used free vin check website that always seems to come up with the wrong vehicle. If you want to PM me your vin I will see if I can find more accurate results. Click on my blank face to the left and send me a message. That way it will only go to me. There should also be some information on the driers side door jamb from the maker. Is that still there?

Linda S

• 1 year later...

Greetings all! I have had a recent bit of frustration. I got a new block for the dolphin. then after so many hours of banging my head and installing the engine. the ECU has died. I used the FSM and a voltmeter to check the unit. there were several failures including no check engine light also the Fuel relay not receiving the correct voltage. the part is available through the local parts store but the price is close to 500 dollars. so that just hurts my feelers. I did a bit of searching and found of in Bakersfield CA. and ebay the price was around 180-200 for a 30 year old used unit. I like that ideally because they are factory built components and I feel they were of a good quality. and through further interwebs research I found a guy online who rebuilds the ECU for many things out of his garage in Arvada Colorado. I dropped off my ecu one week ago and just got it back. the damage was 200 and he offers an unlimited mileage and one year warranty. so soon, oh so soon I hope to have Flipper back on the road from scenic locale to scenic locale.. I do not know what the policy is here for advertising or promotion so I will not put the contact number here unless it is wanted. would be my pleasure to help another enthusiast. also there is a motor builder out of Colorado springs Colorado whom builds the engines from new castings. but he does not want to warranty the motor because it is under tow loads from minute one. bless all and have a great day. oh and be the positive change that you want to see in the world.  :)

1 hour ago, flipper the 87 dolphin said:

I do not know what the policy is here for advertising or promotion so I will not put the contact number here unless it is wanted. would be my pleasure to help another enthusiast. also there is a motor builder out of Colorado Springs Colorado whom builds the engines from new castings.

I've no problem seeing people who provide good services being mentioned. Maybe try out your refurbished ECU for a few miles before endorsing it! :)

Not the first time I've heard of engine rebuilders not wanting to warranty installations in Toyota Motorhomes. Read the fine print before deciding.