Rot Rot Et Rot - Part Deux

shibs

Guest wemit

You can use 3/4" plywood for the sides but 3/4" is way overkill for the bed bottom. I rebuilt my overhead and used 3/4" AC plywood for the sides and it added lots of strength and allowed for a stronger connection for the sidewall to main frame connection. For the bed surface, use plenty of framing and then lay down 1/4" ply over that. Lots of glue there makes it stronger, too. I also added 3/4" foam insulation between the framing, too.

Thanks Wemit.  Ill definitely use 3/4" on sides. For bed, ill need to research how to do those layers. The original bed seemed like it was 1/4" ply, then foam (in frame) then another 1/4" ply. Foam sandwich. 

Do you jave any pics or videos of how you did it?  

Guest wemit

I have some photos of the cabover bunk repair. For materials, I just used 1 x 2 common lumber from Home Depot for the bunk framing since that's what was there before. The one thing I did different was to glue everything together with epoxy glue and then coat all the exposed wood with clear epoxy resin before laying down the 1/4" plywood. Hopefully the resin coat will keep any water that does get in again from getting into the wood. Not all of the wood was rotten so I used epoxy to glue the new wood to the old framing wood. So far it has held up.

You can use 3/4" plywood for the sides but 3/4" is way overkill for the bed bottom. I rebuilt my overhead and used 3/4" AC plywood for the sides and it added lots of strength and allowed for a stronger connection for the sidewall to main frame connection. For the bed surface, use plenty of framing and then lay down 1/4" ply over that. Lots of glue there makes it stronger, too. I also added 3/4" foam insulation between the framing, too.

Cabover Rebuild 36.jpg

100_4584.jpg

100_4587.jpg

New Framing Forward.jpg

It looks like you did a larger 3/4" for the right wall, correct?  Did you end up doing the whole window area? 

Guest wemit

Yes. the entire right wall is 3/4" AC plywood. The original wall had about 8 or 9 little pieces stapled together. Looked too weak for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Admit did you glue the 1x2 to the fiberglass bunk bottom? Or is there wood sheet, the 1x2, then another 1/4" wood sheet? 

• 7 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:43 PM, ModocMade said:

Admit did you glue the 1x2 to the fiberglass bunk bottom? Or is there wood sheet, the 1x2, then another 1/4" wood sheet? 

Hi , I have a aluminum sheet on the bunk bottom... going to lay 1/8 ply and then glueing wood spacers and then filling with insulation ...