The Long, Crumbling Fuel Hose (Seeking Replacement Source)

Riverman77

Hi Everyone,

After several decades, the 6 foot long fuel hose (between gas cap and tank) is finally falling apart and leaking gas with every fill up.

My mechanic has found one source of a new marine grade hose that is sold by the INCH. He estimates the hose itself will cost between $200 to $300!

Do any of you out there have a better source for gasoline rated hose, that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thank you in advance for your reply's

~Riverman77

Gas hose is very expensive and is normally sold by the inch, as you found out. I don't know if having 'marine' added to the source makes it even more so! Is there no chance you could insert a section (or two) of steel pipe/tube in the run to reduce the amount of flexible needed? I know that's what I'd investigate. 6' seems rather extreme to me.

P.S. Do not be temped to substitute 'regular' hose meant for radiator coolant. It will not last long with fuel service.

Auto parts store ( Carquest-NAPA-Autozone) will have fuel filler hose in the sizes you need. Also will have exhaust pipe components in the sizes you need. I went this route when my filler hose developed age rot.

Hi Everyone,

After several decades, the 6 foot long fuel hose (between gas cap and tank) is finally falling apart and leaking gas with every fill up.

My mechanic has found one source of a new marine grade hose that is sold by the INCH. He estimates the hose itself will cost between $200 to $300!

Do any of you out there have a better source for gasoline rated hose, that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thank you in advance for your reply's

~Riverman77

Price sounds way high to me. I've replaced the rubber filler hose on two of my Toyotas. I don't recall the size right now. Goodyear, Gates, and other hose companies sell it by the foot, or in pre-cut lengths. I bought a four-foot length of Goodyear last month for $25. 1 1/2" ID by 4 feet long, Goodyear part # GTR-58524. Gates sells 1 1/4" ID as # 23936, 1 1/2" ID as # 23924, 1.8" ID as 23930, etc.

Why 6 feet long?? If I had a filler hose that long I'd stick some steel pipe in any of the straight parts.

Dear everyone,

My mechanic was shooting from the hip about the 6 foot length. But, the per inch cost and using a special marine fuel grade, he felt was very important. It does sound good to throw in a couple of steel pieces (especially for some angling - like muffler shop bends) and double clamping them. I'll give my mechanic the part numbers from the Gates and Goodyear (thanks JDE) and see what he says.

I told my mechanic that I was going to post this question with you folks. He has never made such an unusual repair as this one before and said that we could use all of the input possible from other 'experienced' Toyota RV owners.

Anyone else out there have some thoughts to chime in on this thread?

~Riverman77

believe me I have fixed this on two toy homes it is sold by the inch bought at carquest I think three feet was thirty five dollars. standard gas filler neck hose but you have to match diameter . and I had to order it. got to do same job on my 88 4wd xtra cab. I did use ext pipe elbows on the 78 my dolphin was a straight run.

5Toyota, I sure like $35.00 vs. $200 or $300 for the fuel hose.

Did your CARQUEST store assure you it would definitely work for fuel (and not deteriorate after a while)?

~Riverman77

Dear everyone,

My mechanic was shooting from the hip about the 6 foot length. But, the per inch cost and using a special marine fuel grade, he felt was very important.

~Riverman77

Ask him why. Also ask him what exactly he's calling "marine grade?" Hose that's used in commercial boats that inside an enclosed engine-house requires A1-15 barrier-type hose that IS special and has nothing to do with your Toyota. Boats use type A2 hose for tank filler hose that is just reinforced Nitrile. Goodyear sells it as Plicord J1527 A2. Costs around $8 per foot for 1 1/2" hose.

JDE,

Thank you for the part number charts. They will be very helpful (and the other info in your previous posts) for when I see my mechanic. I will be sure to quiz him down on the "marine grade" vs. standard automotive rated hoses. My guess is he was simply going overkill for safety (fire, etc.) I should be seeing him by Sunday night and will post his response. Thanks again.

~Riverman77

I have never saw it sold by the inch, always seen it sold by the foot. In Indianapolis, the only part store that carried/sold it was

Napa auto part stores, and the price (I just replaced a one foot piece three months ago) was $15 a foot for gasoline grade 2-inch fuel hose.

A lot of the Toyotas had a two foot or so metal tube to save cost, but when my fuel line started to break down, I replaced the hose

(ran from the fuel cap to the metal elbow near the gas tank) with one solid hose, which was 5 feet long, or about $75 of hose.

Dennis..

(Update and problem solved)

Hi Everyone,

I did briefly talk with my mechanic today about why he wanted this special type of fuel hose. I had figured he simply wanted to make it bullet proof. I assumed wrong. He told me that he had read a particular brand and part number (with a red stripe) right off of my existing, crumbling hose. So, he was attempting to source the exact, original OEM hose that came on it from the factory. I am now super curious to go to his shop and climb under my RV with a flashlight...is it possible that my Dolphin came with some special "marine grade" hose from the factory? A person can only guess.

I have since shared with him the comments, suggestions and part numbers that all of you have chimed in with on this question. It appears as if we will get this problem all repaired (at a huge cost savings!) fairly soon. Thank all you folks for chiming in with your comments to my fuel hose question.

~Riverman77