Sealing The Edge - Oem And Other Options

shibs

I am going to work on sealing my leaks on my Winnie 90 this weekend.

I am looking at the factory outside and see that there is a trim piece which has screws going through to the inside.

1. How was the edge sealed from factory?

2. How do I take the factory edge trim/seal off

3. I have little bit of sagging around the passenger side cab-over, how is this to be correct?

I want to reseal using easily available products if possible.

1. How I seal the reseal the edge?

Hi i used butyl tape. metal edging is just screwed in. for extra peace of mind paint join with a flexible sealant. had to bodge mine with flat roof sealer when i had water pouring in from a roof light. still holding up well.

Dave,

shall I get the 2 inch wide tape? or wider? 3 inch maybe?

Butyl tape isn't exactly a tape. It's long strips of what looks like plumbers putty that you put under the metal trim before screwing it down. Some will squeeze out and you trim that to the edge with a putty knife. Very sticky and never dries so it lasts for many years.

Linda S

Hi

sorry for late reply. get tape same width as metal trim and trim excess off as linda posted above

dave

Linda, Dave

thanks, I am assuming the butyl tape is something I can buy at a RV store only?

how do I take the window off and the marker light off to reseal them?

Thanks,

Yes RV stores will have it. I like the one Camping World carries. Yes remove the window and light clean the surface, press tape around the opening and reinstall over the tape.

Linda S

Linda, How do I take the front and front side windows off?

also, the marker light, do I just pop off the cover and then unscrew the light frame and then apply putty and then reattach the marker light?

Sorry, I have never taken a RV window out, don't want to break anything.

Linda, Derek, thanks a bunch, you guys are on the money, I drove over to the storage space after lunch while the little ones were taking a nap.

I took a picture a screws from the inside. The sealant from the outside looks pretty weather beaten. I checked the windows on my holiday rambler and they looked exactly the same as the Winnie and only bigger.

post-4191-0-02200700-1413693111_thumb.jp

Well I buy the closest to white that I can find. Ebay always has some. Gray would be fine. Just needs to be butyl tape not putty tape. Putty tape dry's out. There is black stuff but I would never get that. Afraid of too much of a mess. Very sticky so I always try to work with it when it's cold. keep it in the fridge at home. Yeah should be 3 holes for clearance light. 2 for screws and one for wires

Linda S

Either will work just fine. You can always double it up or stretch it thinner according to what you need. Best case scenario is to use just enough so it squeezes out the edges a little when you screw the fixture down. Takes a while to figure out how to gauge it. I haven't done any butyl work in a while and I just made a major mess on the side of one of my motorhomes. Age related memory losses. But I'm always here to tell others how to do it. Go figure

Linda S

The best test I know of is putty tape if you pinch it you can separate it. Butyl tape just keeps stringing along like pizza cheese. need to cut it with a hard blade like a putty knife. Camping World carries really good butyl tape that they still call putty tape. pain in the butt figuring this out but both of the ones you posted look like the right thing.

Linda S

ok, I will get the one available locally and do the marker lights with it to learn/practice.

I will do the pinch test.

I have generalrv few miles from the storage place but don't want to go down there and find out it is putty and not butyl.

Lol, I hear you on age related memory loss, I have to write things down nowadays, kinda scary for me as I lost my dad to dementia.

Yes the old crap is still available. The kits to install a roof plumbing vent are actually putty tape. Ask me how I know. Rain on face. does that give you a hint? I cheaped out and bought the little kit instead of the large butyl tape roll and paid for it. My son in law was also sold stuff that the rv place claimed was butyl tape and wasn't. I had to go and get the good stuff and redo a lot of the work he did.

Linda S