Need suggestion for new flooring for Odyssey

durangotoyotarv

Just purchased a used '89 Odyssey and discovered the flooring was water damaged. I've removed all the existing carpet and plan to put down new plywood over the damaged floor. I'd like to put in a flooring that is easy to clean other than carpet and do it myself. Any suggestions for what products are easy to install and hold up well? Would appreciate help, I'm a first time RV owner.

Just purchased a used '89 Odyssey and discovered the flooring was water damaged........ I'd like to put in a flooring that is easy to clean other than carpet and do it myself.

The best low/no maintenance flooring you can put in would be roll vinyl. It comes in unlimited colors and patterns and would be easy to match any upholstery. Instillation is not a job for someone who has not done it before. It is not difficult, it just takes patience and a steady hand as one "whoops" and the entire floor needs to be replaced as it "should" be a continuous piece with no seams.

Other options such as peel and stick square vinyl or wood or even wood strip are easier to install but because of the myriad of seams between each piece you have many places for dust, dirt, and water to get through the flooring.

If you consider roll vinyl you may want to call around to all of your local flooring stores and talk to the people that they use for installation to get a quote. You can lower the install cost by removing all of the "bits" that will be in the way before the job is started (these would include any cabinet doors, drawers, heater cover, and all other protrusions from the wall cabinets).

Also check all your floor level cabnet doors. Make sure they will still open with the new plywood you add to the floor.

I did the vinyl floor myself, works great a quick mop and its good to go. I also bought a couple of runner rugs to keep the bare feet off the cold floor during the midnite bathroom runs ^_^

Flooring stores often have rements for sale cheap. You will not need a really big piece so check them out. To do my side bath I neded a 10x5ft section. The isle is only 3.5" but makes sortof a zig zag.

Hello,

I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey and it is the Durango model also (side door is in the rear

behind the rear axle).

My carpet was a bit worn and hard to keep clean (have three boys..:-) so this summer I put

in wood flooring right over the old carpet. This is the 1/4 inch thick composite type wood that

locks together (no glue needed) and I purchased it at Lowes. I can seen you a few pictures

of what the floor looks like if you like. I layed the planks down sideways and did not have to

extend any of the planks, expect for under the table, I was 4 inches short so I just put one plank sideways, or I could of left it open since it is under the table out of sight.

The floor looks great, complements the wood work, very strong material, and super easy to

clean, just a fast sweeping with a regular broom, or a wipe with wet rag.

The floor did make my rocker chair slide, which I easily fixed by sliding some rubber legs boots

over the five chair lags.

Dennis...

I just replaced the floor in my Rader. i put down 1/8" hardwood plywood with glue. Than I put a new product I found at a carpet store down that is like vinyl but is flexable. This is the ticket you don't need to worry adout it tearing and it is very sturdy. I did put some screws in the plywood to help secure the floor and this flooring uses a special glue. It was quite a bit more money but I am extreemly happy with the out come. A couple words of advice, screws don't want to grab the particalboard very well and the floor needs to be perfectly smooth. You may want to use some type of leveling agent.

We just did a roll of vinyl from home depot. It was a 9x12 remnant chunk and covered the entire coach with about 2 feet left to spare. It only cost about $40 and took a few hours to install. What someone said about patience is right though. It's not fun to put in. Pulling the hundreds of left over carpet staples up was the worst part of the ordeal.

Oh you mean nobody mentioned the staples??? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in a similar project too. Can somebody tell me if I pull the carpet up (How do you do that?) will it be able to be reused? I want to put plywood panels over the floor and then lay the existing, good carpet right back down on top of it.

I'm interested in a similar project too. Can somebody tell me if I pull the carpet up (How do you do that?) will it be able to be reused? I want to put plywood panels over the floor and then lay the existing, good carpet right back down on top of it.
Did you miss the part about the staples? If your going to pull up the carpet, be ready to replace it.

Did you miss the part about the staples? If your going to pull up the carpet, be ready to replace it.

And if you pull all that stuff back up, then how do you lay the carpet back down? Not tack strips like in a home, I guess? Pneumatic staple gun? Sorry if it seems so elementary - but I can't imagine the carpet just being stapled in! Been there for a lotta years so I guess it must work though ....

-Paul

The carpet is layed down first then all the furniture is built in over the carpet. So unless you are going to remove everything, just cut arount the edges and pull it up.

Ain't joking about the number of staples, an your going to ruin the carpet getting it out. Many of us lay new plywood and then use vinyl flooring, cause its so easy to clean.

Using my Toy in the winter here in Wyoming I decided to go a step further. I removed the carpet. Cleaned everything good and glued down a 1/2" ridged foam sub floor. Then glued and screwed down a 1/2" 7 ply flooring. THEN on went the vinyl flooring. Stronger, quieter and warmer than stock. I use runner rugs to make things better. I lost an inch of head room but thats no problem for me.