83 Sunrader and Trailer

sharpest

Here is our 1983 Sunrader along with the enclosed utility trailer we bought for additional storage.

The trailer is a 1989 Robert's Metal Mfg. Aero Tow. It's empty weight is a total of just about 400 lbs. It can carry a total of 1200 lbs including the trailer weight. The trailer has two covered compartments which are water tight. We do not plan to carry more than a few hundred lbs. in it.

We had it painted to match the Sunrader including the stripe.

We just got back from a 6100 mile trip from Portland, Oregon to Mobile, Alabama and back. The Sunrader and the trailer worked perfectly. The trailer was a great addition. It pulled straight and true. With it's low profile you could not even tell you were pulling anything. It does not get buffeted around even in very strong winds.

We stored additional clothes and supplies that can clutter the living space of the Sunrader. We bought large plastic covered storage bins that fit very nicely in the trailer to keep everything clean and neat. Addtionally, we had the body shop that did the painting weld two metal plates inside the larger compartment to hold our Honda generators in place.

In just about every place we stopped on our trip we had people admiring the Sunrader and the trailer. Most thought they were a set you bought together from Sunrader.

post-906-1191692936_thumb.jpg

post-906-1191693176_thumb.jpg

Edited by sharpest

Nice set-up. I was thinking of doing the same with my Thule utility trailer, but I went out today and brought a cargo platform from Camping World instead.

I pulled an AeroTow for many years for business. Sold it for a bigger trailer. Wish I'd kept it now that I've got a Toy.

Thanks for the comments.

As to the Aero Tow trailer, we were looking for a small enclosed utiilty trailer that would be easy to tow at freeway speeds. We found that many very small utility trailers really shouldn\'t be towed at freeway speeds or for long distances. Not the Aero Tow. It was built extremely strong for its size. It holds more than enough for our needs.

We found the Aero Tow on Seattle\'s Craigslist in June. There were actually 2 of these trailers available in Seattle on Craigslist at the same time by two different owners who did not know of each others trailers. Small world.

The one we bought had a little body damage in the very front as the previous owner backed into himself but was otherwise is very good condition. Both of the lids on the storage compartments have a rubber seal that make this trailer pretty much waterproof. We paid $650 for ours. The other Aero Tow got scooped up the same day by soneone else.

I am on the lookout for another Aero Tow. I am pretty sure that the manufacturer is long gone. Please let me know if there are any for sale out there.

Edited by sharpest

www.aeropuptrailers.com

They are making the same style, but of course new cost more :(

Has anybody ever had any problems towing with their Toyota Motorhome? I've been worried to put a toy box on the back because I wasn't sure how much tongue weight it would hold. I'd also like the option of bringing my electric scooter along on a bike rack. Are these things too heavy?

Thule Trailer makes a very similar trailer with cover. The curb weight is only 221 lbs and it has 13" wheels/tires. It is galvanized and aluminum. I don't know the price. I have their much larger 5 x 8 utility tilt/dump trailer and it was not that pricy. I only paid a little over $1300 for it. Think you could pick up their small 3.5' x 5' with cover for under $1000. One I am talking about is the N1150 and can be found on top of the following page undefined

• 4 weeks later...