2800 Btu Onan Generator Issue

vtchris

I have a 2800 Onan generator in my 94 Warrior. Once a month I turn it on and put a load on it for about an hour. I rarely actually need it. The last time I did this all was well for about an hour and then all of a sudden it started coughing or fluctuating wildly to where it almost cut out. The voltage meter in the rv was going craZy. Would the guy who changed the oil in it have done something wrong? Cause that had just happened. Any other thoughts?

Did you check the oil level?

Do I check it with the dipstick screwed all the way in place (which is difficult to do) or just as it sets on top of the hole? I think it may be overfull.

It has a low oil pressure cut off and there have been some reports of bad switches. The pickup for the generator does not go to the bottom of the fuel tank it is possible your MH's fuel tank is too low. If it's below a 1/4 tank I think that could cause your problem.

No, I always make sure my tank is half or more when I do this. Do you know if I need to screw the oil dipstick all the way in to check the oil level? I am thinking maybe there is too much oil in it.

On top of the hole.

Most dipsticks require they be inserted all the way - if threaded then screwed in all the way.

If you only run it once in a while I suspect that it is not being run enough. fuel will turn to varnish in a carb - not good.

I would check the oil & run it some - also make sure nothing has nested in your intake & the cooling system (air cooled).

Assuming all that checks out, I would run it for 30-60 minutes at a lower load - one that it can handle then try to put a load on it. Your AC will constitute a heavy load - especially if the converter is putting out a lot of juice to charge the house battery - that would be putting extra load on the genset.

Have you ever downloaded an owner/ operator manual for the onan 2800? I considered replacing my kohler (I also have a 93 winnie warrior) with an onan 2800 & elected to go with a honda 2000 - so far satisfied with that decision even though having an onboard unit would be nice sometimes.

I have an Onan 2800 in my 91 Dolphin, was ok now it's dead. Bad fuel pump for one. Anyway the instructions on mine say to not screw in the dipstick. Rest it on the top of the threaded tower to read oil level. They want a certian kind of oil, got mine at Western Marine here.

I think he put the same kind of oil in it as he put in my engine

Cannot find the PDF with the info, but what I got is DELO 400 SAE 30 wt. oil for the Onan. Maybe that was from when I called them, there were two kinds of oil as I remember it but the DELO is sold all over, even found it at COSTCO.

John