Type of Tire

badam14

I have a 1984 18' Sunrader. The tires I previously bought for the back have worn out very quickly. Is there a special tire that I should be buying because of the weight of the motorhome?

Yes, a 185R14 Load Range D or maybe a C. Don't let anybody tell you that there is a number missing in the middle. There is no number missing. You are talking about truck tires, not car tires. And they are hard to find. Some where around here there is a list of tire manufacturers who still make tires for our toys.

It is unusual to see someone wear them out quickly. Usually they die from dry rot (cracking in the side wall). Either you put a heck of a lot of miles on your toy or you had the wrong type of tires. Just what tires are on it now?

Thank you for your speedy reply Pat. I definately bought the wrong type of tire last time. They are only a 2 ply tire. I talked to a truck driver who owns a Toy and he told me where I can buy the tires you suggested near my hometown. Thank you very much for your information.

Unless you are carrying Lead, the older Toy MH's fall well within the Load Carrying Capacity of "B" Range tires (5000Lb-6000Lb loaded running). If you have abnormal wear running Load Range "B" tires (assuming the weight on EACH wheel/wheelset is within the Load Carrying Capacity of the tire and the Tire Pressure is correct for that weight), you will probably have the same thing with "C" or "D" tires as well. Look at Wheel Alignment (including bent parts) and unequal weight distribution side-to-side (which seems to be a chronic design fault/compromise especially seen in small RV's). Did all the rear tires wear equally?? We run "B" range tires on our '86 21Ft Dolphin (right at 6000Lb running down the road) and got 38,000Mi from the Passenger side Dual Wheelset but only 28,000Mi from the Driver side Dual Wheelset, due to unequal side-to-side weight distribution.

Lew

"Your search results reflect the following:

1987 TOYOTA Pickup Camper Cab (DRW) with a standard tire size of 185R14/C

Recommended Tire

Wrangler HT

Warranty:

Sidewall: BSL

Load Range: C "

The above is using the Goodyear Tire Search for a 1984 Toyota Pickup Camper Cab DRW. DRW meaning dual rear wheel. I do not know why the Goodyear site bumps you up to year '87 when you put in '84. I have found all the tire company web sites which offer the "select option" after you put in pickup take you to this size and load range of tire for a Toyota Motorhome. Until Lew can find a qualified expert opinion other than his own opinion, I have to respectfully disagree with him. I hope we can agree to disagree and still be friends.

Pat

I thought the subject of the thread was Abnormal Tire Wear, and whether it might be caused by running "B" range tires. Since I run "B" range Tires, I posted my experience regarding Wear, including the usual Correct Inflation Pressure caution as well as the usually ignored caution regarding Unequal side-to-side Loading. Whether anyone here thinks I should or should not use such tires has nothing to do with the Topic at hand, does it?

Lew

Hello All,

My comment here is sort of out of scope of the original question, however, I actually have been

running with the last tires stated, the Goodyear Wranger HT in 185/R14 load range C. I have put

12,000 miles on them and all six still look great, no uneven wear patterns. I have a 1990 Totyota

Odyssey 21 footer.

Dennis...

The tires I previously bought for the back have worn out very quickly.

You need to learn why the tires wore quickly (BTW, how quickly are we talking and what is the wear pattern) or you may burn off a new set just as quickly. What is the actual weight on the rear axle, is that figure within the maximum tire load capacity (found in raised lettering on the tire sidewall), what is the Tire Manufacturer's recommended Inflation Pressure for that weight on your size tire and have you been using (approximately ) that Pressure? If you are not overloading the tires or under/over inflating them and they aren't just plain cheap junk tires, then I predict you have other problems, and folks quoting a Tire Salesman's brochure isn't gonna help with that. We need more info.

Lew

First time here,

I need some advice on finding tires and and/or buying new wheels.

I recently bought a 79 EZRyder, I replaced 1 old rear tire in May then blew up another rear adding air, lucky it blew the sidewall opposite me. Total neophyte here I was embarrassed and more to find out the tires are not made anymore though I did locate and buy the 2nd. Another tire place basically told me I either have to convert all rear wheels and buy 6 new tires or "PARK IT". Wow.

The tires are P245 60SR14

This has a tandem axle not dual wheels on one axle. The 2 new tires are on the rear axle, at the least I need to replace the old tires that are still on the tandem axle (the same age as the one I blew up putting air in). If I have to convert all these wheels can I first just convert the 2 on the tandem axle?

Of course I read all the axle news etc after I bought this rig. After I gutted it painted it outside/ inside, repaired leaks, weather proofed the top, sewed curtains and cushion covers.

p.s.s this rig is now for sale

Thanks in advance for any help

Malinda

I recently bought a 79 EZRyder, I replaced 1 old rear tire in May then blew up another rear adding air, lucky it blew the sidewall opposite me. Total neophyte here I was embarrassed and more to find out the tires are not made anymore though I did locate and buy the 2nd. Another tire place basically told me I either have to convert all rear wheels and buy 6 new tires or "PARK IT". Wow.

The tires are P245 60SR14

This has a tandem axle not dual wheels on one axle. The 2 new tires are on the rear axle, at the least I need to replace the old tires that are still on the tandem axle (the same age as the one I blew up putting air in). If I have to convert all these wheels can I first just convert the 2 on the tandem axle?

Of course I read all the axle news etc after I bought this rig. After I gutted it painted it outside/ inside, repaired leaks, weather proofed the top, sewed curtains and cushion covers.

p.s.s this rig is now for sale

Malinda,

You have a oddball. Don't think there are many of those tandem axles out there. Hopefully someone here will be familiar with your rear wheels and tires. Just why did they tell you that you need to "convert all rear wheels"? Did they explain that? Do your rims (wheels) have a size stamped on them? As to tire size, hopefully EZRider installed a weight/tire size sticker somewhere near the drivers side door. Take a look around the door frame and see if you can see the sticker (not the Toyota sticker), it will have the proper tire size on it and the proper air pressure. Yours may be gone due to the age of the motorhome.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your response. There is a sticker but doesn't have all the info. I think the #s are for load Rear 2900, Tag Axel 1500

Other numbers

GVWR 4700

GAWR Front 1850

That's about it on that sticker.

I'm thinking now about taking it to a different tire place get a dif opinion maybe the guy was in a bad mood last time. I don't know why he told me I need new wheels & tires basically said the tires on there never should've been there because they are passenger tires.

Wow, so I have a true oddball, and that I believe comes from someone who knows alot about these rigs. I hope it's a good oddball.

Malinda

My guess is that you should have truck tires, load range C (will work) or D (even better), like

a 185R14. Goodyear and Michlien, plus about a half dozen other major tire manufacture make

these tires.

Regardless of the tires you end up with, all six of your tires should be the same size tire

and if you can have all of them the same brand, all the better. If you are not able to have the

same brand, you should try to have the same brand/size on the same axle.

The reason for this is to make your driving/handling consistent, mixed sizes and in some cases

different tread patterns will reduce your handling, which would case extra tire wear and maybe

even a step closer to losing control in some driving conditions.

If you have tires that are popping on you while putting air in (I think you stated that happened to

you), I would replace all of the tires, they are either too old, or they are over loaded.

Dennis...

I really don't know for sure if it is a oddball. There are pics of one on the toyotamotorhome.com site and there could be more over on the yahoo toyota-campers group. The yahoo group is very active and you might find more information over there.

I have to agree with Bufbooth about the 185R14C tires. They are a light truck tire and better designed for the tandem use than a passenger tire. Plus they have a better weight rating than P-Metric tires.

My guess is that you should have truck tires, load range C (will work) or D (even better), like

a 185R14.

Look at the tire size the OP Posted, Folks. Those are "low profile" "wide tires" mounted on aftermarket custom wheels. It was a way "in the day" to obtain a wider Track Width. Remember?? I have seen Chinooks with that setup (poor man's dual wheel). You see, I am not the only person ever to use "passenger car" tires on a Toyota Truck.

I'm not suprised the Tire Man told the OP "no longer manufactured". To the OP, Folks restoring late 60's-early 70's "Muscle Cars" may know sources for this type of tire. Otherwise, you will have to Pony Up and replace your steel wheels with OEM and mount P195 tires of your choice. If you choose to drink the "Truck Tires" Koolaid all Well and Good....

Like The Man said, YMMV

Lew

Look at the tire size the OP Posted, Folks. Those are "low profile" "wide tires" mounted on aftermarket custom wheels. It was a way "in the day" to obtain a wider Track Width. Remember?? I have seen Chinooks with that setup (poor man's dual wheel). You see, I am not the only person ever to use "passenger car" tires on a Toyota Truck.

I'm not suprised the Tire Man told the OP "no longer manufactured". To the OP, Folks restoring late 60's-early 70's "Muscle Cars" may know sources for this type of tire. Otherwise, you will have to Pony Up and replace your steel wheels with OEM and mount P195 tires of your choice. If you choose to drink the "Truck Tires" Koolaid all Well and Good....

Like The Man said, YMMV

Lew

Lew,

You can say that the OP's EZRyder has "low profile" "wide tires" mounted on "aftermarket custom wheels", but we have no idea that they belong on the motorhome or what belongs on it. We are trying to determine what belongs on it and help the OP out. Never knew that sticking a tag axle on was a "poor man's dual wheel".

Can you tell us why so many of the engineers for these motorhome companies drank this "Truck Tire Koolaid" as you call it? Are you so smart in motorhome engineering that you know more than them? The Certification Regulation Plate on my '87 Sunrader calls for LT185R14 tires, not P-metric tires. Did somebody at Sunrader drink the "Truck Tire Koolaid"? I believe that many of the Toy motorhomes companies called for the LT tires. My Toyota Owners manual lists 185R14-LT6PR on a 5-J x 14 wheel and a 185R14-LT8PR on a 5.5-J x 14 wheel. Some engineer at Toyota is high on the Koolaid too? I guess all this info is BS because some engineer drank your "Truck Tire Koolaid"?

Lew,

You can say that the OP's EZRyder has "low profile" "wide tires" mounted on "aftermarket custom wheels", but we have no idea that they belong on the motorhome or what belongs on it. We are trying to determine what belongs on it and help the OP out. Never knew that sticking a tag axle on was a "poor man's dual wheel".

Poor Man's Dual Wheel refers to the Wide Rims, not the Tag Axle (the proper terminology for clarity would be a Tandem Set consisting of a single wheel Drive Axle followed by a single wheel Tag Axle). I used to see lots of them (super wide tires) on early Chinooks and other Datsun and Toyota Pickup Chassis "motorhomes". It provided a wider track width than the stock pickup wheels, while still being lighter weight and less leverage on wheel bearings than a cobbled up dual. I obviously cannot tell you what exact wheel the Coachwork Manufacturer of a '79 EZRyder chose to use or Cobble up in 1979. I can tell you that in 1979 there was no such thing as a "LT185R14" tire. They didn't exist yet. My 1982 Toyota Truck Owner's Manual lists as being suitable for Toyota Trucks the following Tire Sizes:

7.00-14-6PR

7.50-14-6PR

E78-14B

ER78-14B

205/70 SR 14

185 SR 14

The Dolphin Weight Tag on the Driver side Doorpost of our '82 calls for "750 x 14" tires. Notice there is no mention of a "185R14-LT6PR" tire size. Repeat-Didn't exist yet (in 1982). The "engineers" at "EZRyder" (in 1979 when the thing was built) didn't "design" that RV around a tire that didn't exist yet. I surmise that they did "design" it for a tire which, if it does exist at all today, is hard to find.

Pat, Logic says you can't have it both ways...If you believe the "engineers for these motorhome companies" knew what they were talking about, then you need to follow their recommendations. Since the tires you would have Malinda buy didn't even exist when her MH was built, those "engineers" certainly didn't have that tire in mind, did they?? If, on the other hand, you are doing a bit of "engineering" yourself (in recommending substitute parts [tires] as replacements for whatever the OEM was), you can't pass that off as what "motorhome engineers" recommend. It's what you recommend, and your opinion is no more valid than mine.

Are you so smart in motorhome engineering that you know more than them?

No, not smarter, just more experienced (although my experience was susequent to not concurrent with their engineering). When the "engineers" at Dolphin approved for production the Design of our '82 MH, we assume they had good and sufficient reason to suppose the Rear Axle would support the stress of a built-up Dual Wheelset. I find that my subsequent experience (in '94) of dealing with an Axle Shaft Failure trumps their lack of engineering smarts. Hence my use of Quotes when referring to motorhome "engineers"....Their design failure regarding the overloading of Toyota 2900Lb Rear Axles puts them in the same category as me....Backyard Mechanic, that is.

Backyard Mechanics who run old machinery sometimes have to do a bit of engineering if they want to keep the old stuff on the road. Time passes and parts (including tires) can become unavailable, at which time one makes a judgment and proceeds. Leave it at that.

As always, YMMV

Lew

Not going to get into this over what tire to use, BUT there were LT tires in 1979 and earlier.

Michelin made them for the VW Combi campers.

Malinda, there might be more to this....I now remember that the Tandem Axle Toyota's I have seen had Duals on the Drive Axle and Singles on the Tag Axle. The Tag wheels were set out to match the tread width of the outer Dual Tires. Are all four tires on your Tandem that same size (P245 60SR14)?? Do the outside edges of the Drive Axle tires line up with the outside edges of the Tag Axle tires?

As always, YMMV

Lew

Lew,

At least we are getting somewhere! Now we know that considering the 185R14 was not manufactured in 1979, that it is not the right tire for Malinda's EZ Ryder.

As to the "Backyard Mechanics" thing, I personally try to keep my stuff like that off the road. I spent to many years in the transportation industry seeing accidents and breakdowns caused by cheap shop work. You mentioned I-86 (NY Rt 17) and the condition of it. I use to drive a Kenworth across it. That Kenworth bounced, left rear corner to right front corner. Bounced like it had no springs on it at all. It had previously been in a very bad accident and in my opinion should have been totaled, but they rebuilt it. It passed the Penn Safety Inspection. Everyone who drove it complained about it, but the company said that there was nothing wrong with it. It ended up killing a friend of mine! That tractor should not have been allowed back on the road!

Oh, and I do believe the the 185 SR 14 mentioned in your Toyota list is a LT tire. But I also understand that it is not on your Dolphin certification.

Good discussion on tires, but I think that Pag0079 still has the wrong type of tires on

his rig, something is not right and it is more than just an unusual wear type of problem.

Unusual wear will not cause the sides to blow out, they are either cheap/defective tires

or they are over loaded. Either way it sounds like there is a ditch with pag0079 name on

it if he continues to drive with the same type of tire.

A side blow out of a tire while only adding air is pretty serious, I am amazed that the

tire did not blow out while driving.

Dennis...

Pagoo do you have total of 4 tires in the back (2 on each axle) or 6 tires?? ( 4 and 2???)

Have you ever taken your Toy to a truck scale and weighed things?? This will help you to decide which tire to get because you know how much weight the rears have to carry. The sticker doesn't mean much after 25+ years, to many chances for owner "improvements".

Thanks to all of you for helping out with this!

I have 2 tires on each rear axle (no duals) the tandem wheels are offset, it looks like the rims are inside out.

I'll take this to the tire shop that found me the last new tire though it's scary at this point to drive it at all since there are still the 2 original old tires on the tandem. (I have 2 new tires of the P variety on the rear driving axel) Maybe the tire place can tell me what I would find if I go to the truck weigh?

From what I'm gathering I should see if I can fit the LT tires on all these rear wheels and the front as well. BTW the front tires are different and the spare fits the front. And if I can't put LTs on these then buy new rims (4) maybe 6 if I have to change the front. So then are rims for LTs available for 5 lug axels?

Yikes.

I think the message about the hot rod wide wheels applies to mine someone said these tires (the old ones on there) are used on old camaros for racing. So if they're deemed load appropriate then I guess I can search for them. Wonder where the spare went for the rears, and why would this rig need 2 spares? Which makes me think there was a conversion of the rears.

Since I do not have dualies then hopefully these axels are safe with the proper tires and not subject to the axel failure I've read about here which I believe occurred with dual wheels.

The rims are not LT, just the tire. The 185 LT tire is designed for a 5.5" wide rim. It will work on a 5-6" wide rim.

Can you post some pictures of your rear and tires and rims?

• 11 years later...