11" Water Column Calibration- Propane System

FredNewell

Recently installed a new propane tank and regulator - three years ago, actually.

I finally made a manometer of plastic tubing to check the regulator outlet pressure. It seemed the propane flame on the ranage was a little wimpy. Regulators have a plastic cap that removes to expose a calibration screw. Right turn (clockwise) to increase pressure - with a screw driver.

I found our pressure to be low and increased it.

There's lots of info about this online.

www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html

You can also google youtube for diy rv propane manometer.

If you want to have a tap for grill use outside of the rv, then install it inline just downstream of the regulator. It's pretty straightfoward. Try Youtube. It's been done before... probably by someone on this board.

Lemme just add this as a precautionary note... I'm bolder than most when it comes to plumbing with propane, because I work with gas servicemen (gas utility) and am buddied up with a propane service manager. I always have them inspect my work, or at least discuss things with them. Also, I have a friend or two that work in RV repair shops.

The Navy trained and used me as a nuclear mechanic doing valve repair for 6 years... a long time ago.

It doesn't mean I am an expert. It just means I should know better. I probably shouldn't advise others except for entertainment value.

The SAFEST way is to let a "certified" professional do it for you. Don't do anything you do not understand with propane. It can go BOOM. Propane is more dangerous than natural gas, in my opinion, to mess around with. More dangerous in that the range of explosive mixture in air is greater.

Just sayin...

On the other hand, as I am reaching retirement years, I find myself really enjoying fixing things with my own hands rather than hiring it out.