Weight Capacity Of Roof - 1989 Toyota Dolphin

sonar23

I just recently purchased a 1989 Toyota Dolphin and want to clean/re-seal the roof with EPDM. I have searched around this site to see if anyone knows the weight capacity of the roof. It is not listed in the owners manual. Has anyone walked on the roof and/or know the capacity? I'm 230 lbs.

BTW - this site is a great resource. Looking forward to doing some traveling!!

Thanks,

Devin

I don't think there ever is any listing for weight capacity of a person getting on the roof. If you have to get fully up on the roof use a full body crawl. That will spread your weight out over several of the roof stringers. They run side to side so lay down lengthwise on the roof for the best weight distribution support so that you are spanning several of the stringers. Do not stand up and walk on it, that puts all your weight in one concentrated area. Hands and knees crawl is OK but full body crawl is the better choice for weight distribution for heavier people. If the roof is not curved put a large piece of 3/8 or 1/2 plywood or even a thick piece of blue or pink Dow board, that dense type of insulation foam board, to lay down on. That will also help distribute your weight across the roof rather than having it concentrated in a small area. If you have to sit up to work that plywood base will be a big help to distribute your weight, just be sure it is several stringers wide in length and width too. I try to lay down while working up on the roof as much as possible plus it is always easier on my back than bending over from a sitting position. Better yet of course is working off a ladder or scaffold for things near the edge of the roof.

Thank you very much, I will be very careful to distribute my weight if I have to get on the roof. Do you have any specific recommendation on sealer?

Thanks,

Devin

Just make the cross beams a bit long and screw a block on each end that overhangs the sidewalls, no slip then.

For weight distribution on my '85 Dolphin I've used two pieces of 1/2" plywood, 24" x 24". I'm 200 pounds. The two pieces allow me to move one piece while standing on the other. You could make the pieces 24" x 36" if it makes you feel better.

I didn't use epdm on my roof (aluminum). I just used the white goo made for mobile home roofs that Home Depot sells. Two coats 24 hours apart on sunny days. I re-coat every two years. Hasn't leaked yet...

John

What we have here is a vocabulary problem, I only have 2 ea 2x8 not tied together. So I call them cross beams cause they go across the roof.

But you got the idea about a small block at the end keeping them from slipping off.

On my 87 Dolphin I often walked on top in jogging shoes. I am 180 lbs. And I lifted the roof A/C unit up, replaced a seal, and then lifted it back in place. I also went up there to shovel snow off. I would get what I could from a ladder on one side only, then walk on top to shovel the rest. I would be more concerned about creating pin holes in the aluminum than any thing else UNLESS you have rot in the roof ( may it not be so! )