Where Do You Store The Gas Can?

mobilehippo

Alright, my RV gets alright MPGs but not great and sadly the gas tank isn't very big. Mine is 16.5 I believe. I ran out of gas once on a highway. It was a terrible experience. I would like to drive with an extra gas can for those areas where gas stations are little iffy. I heard it's not safe to store gas inside the vehicle and some talk about strapping it to the back ladder but I'm not sure if that is safe.

How do you guys store your extra gas can if you have one? And which ones do you buy? I heard the steel ones are quite good.

I agree that the gas tanks are not big enough. I had to stop at about 125 to 150 miles because the next reliable stop was at 250 miles and I don't think I would have gotten that far. In case of emergency, I have 2 small (2 gallon) cans strapped to my rear bumper. I know that it is not the safest thing in the world but there is no place else to carry the gas. I do have a cargo carrier and plastic box hanging from the receiver hitch so the gas cans are not out in the open.

Kolpin makes very thin gas cans and mounts for ATV's that would be worth looking at. They are built for pretty tough use and may be better than the average walmart plastic jug. I keep trying to find some on sale but have not had any luck yet.

Hi

carry mine in the empty lpg locker which is sealed from the living part. as i have no lpg/gas bottle seems the most logical.

I have a 5 gallon NATO gas can on the back of my camper. Mine just happens to have a 1ft tray across the back of it. The spare tire is also mounted there.

Even when my tank was bone dry, I could only get little under 12 gallons in it. So I call it a 10 gallon tank and keep track of my mileage. Did I mention my gas gauge doesn't work? :)

So rather than deal with the stress of a small tank and no gas gauge, I just carry the spare 5 gallons. I write down my mileage when I fill up. I know what kind of gas mileage a typically get. When I get to 150 miles or so, I start looking for a gas station. Sometimes it doesn't work out, for whatever reason...no big deal.

When I feel it start to buck, that's just the first warning. I typically have about 10 miles to find a safe spot to pull over and put the 5 gallons in. That's ten sputtery miles where I stall here and there and might not be up at the speed limit...which could in some situations be dangerous, and no it's not great for the fuel pump, but it's always worked out for me.

I've put 15,000 miles on my camper so far this year, and running out of gas never stressed me out. I've had to pull over and use the gas can probably over 20 times. No problem. That's why I have it.

We have a cargo box on the back of our warrior, when we travel in Baja Mexico I always carry a full 5 gal jerry can in the box, traveling in the USA and Canada we don't usually take it along, the gas gauge works on our rig, not sure of the size of our gas tank, but I know we get about 200 miles on a full tank. When we get down to a quarter tank I start looking for a gas station. Mike

I have a 5 gallon NATO gas can on the back of my camper. Mine just happens to have a 1ft tray across the back of it. The spare tire is also mounted there.

Even when my tank was bone dry, I could only get little under 12 gallons in it. So I call it a 10 gallon tank and keep track of my mileage. Did I mention my gas gauge doesn't work? :)

So rather than deal with the stress of a small tank and no gas gauge, I just carry the spare 5 gallons. I write down my mileage when I fill up. I know what kind of gas mileage a typically get. When I get to 150 miles or so, I start looking for a gas station. Sometimes it doesn't work out, for whatever reason...no big deal.

When I feel it start to buck, that's just the first warning. I typically have about 10 miles to find a safe spot to pull over and put the 5 gallons in. That's ten sputtery miles where I stall here and there and might not be up at the speed limit...which could in some situations be dangerous, and no it's not great for the fuel pump, but it's always worked out for me.

I've put 15,000 miles on my camper so far this year, and running out of gas never stressed me out. I've had to pull over and use the gas can probably over 20 times. No problem. That's why I have it.

Yeah I think I'm working with a similar set up with you as wells. I get about 11-12 mpgs myself on my 78.

Do you go with a gas can made plastic one? or metal? I hear the metal ones are banned in CA.

I don't have an empty port like that with the LP. I use my LP.

Metal. I bought this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADLHN3S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009HJMY8Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B2ETF1X66BH0486SVPW

But currently, the military is using plastic cans. So you'd be fine going that way.

I had one gas station in Oregon refuse to fill it, because "gas cans have to be red". I believe that she was following actual law, silly or not, so I didn't argue. Next time I filled up, the gas station had no problem with it.

But if you live in Cali or are concerned at all, get a plastic red one.

Actually I meant the law was silly, not the clerk, but you make a good point. The "fine" print is actually right out there where it's easy to see, on Amazon's description.

Maybe I'll paint mine red at some point. The container is meant to hold fuel, so I'm not worried about whether or not it's suited for the use.

It makes perfect sense though that I'd want emergency responders to know that the can on my back bumper is gas.

The military plastic gas cans are tan...but they have different regulations and are trying to be camouflage, so I guess I shouldn't compare what colors the military uses to what is safe on US highways.

kept my on rear bumper storage area & left it their all year and it started chipping away from sun lucky it was on top of container so no leak...

guess I should remove when not using :)

going to buy a 5 gallon so it will be carried on roof or cargo rack....

Good ideal for the different colors it would not be a good experience to add gasoline to a kerosene heater or put gas in your diesel or diesel in your gas engine.

I hate the new spouts too.

Bring one back from Canada they still have the old style spouts least they did 3 years ago.

Roadside assistance only works for those that stay on roads. Of course there's that cell phone thing too. Unless you have a satellite phone, no cell phones work everywhere. My girlfriend had a flat in her brand new Sportsmobile in the middle of nowhere. They walked until they could get a signal but AAA said they don't service vehicles that far off road. They finally got the Forest service to send someone out and they got charged 300 bucks for the help. 70 grand and that Sportsmobile didn't include a jack.

Linda S