Huntsman - How To Paint The Outside And Any Other Advice You Can Give

I was given an 83 Huntsman this spring. After looking at this board, I spent the summer finding and having a friend put in the needed axle - turning it from a 2-ton planter into something that can be driven.

My friend has also done basic tuneup and maintenance checks. He is very kind. He has just now gotten the propane tank filled and will be bringing it back to me in a couple days to see if the appliances work. And - it is probable that we won't be able to get the bathroom and shower working. It might end up just being storage for me. I would have to make due with truck stops, etc.

A woman friend has also sewn cushion covers. - I am in a ministry. People have been very kind.

Okay. Next step.

I have no money. I am a widow with no mechanical skills. My friend helps, but I don't want to ask more of him than absolutely necessary - and as you can see, he has already done very much.

What I can do: I can paint? The outside is a mess. I was thinking I might like to paint the cabinet doors white, as well, to lighten it up.

There is old paint in the basement of this house that I bought a few years ago. It is interior satin enamel. (I am paining over probably having to sell the house and live in the RV). I know it's generally not a good idea to use old paint.... but maybe there isn't enough anyway.

I think I heard about a free place for paint in Fargo or Morehead a few years ago.

At any rate. Any advice at all is appreciated. I am thinking I should learn how to do maintence on my own as well. My friend showed me where the things are to fill up the air bags. That looked easy. And he showed me where the rig should sit above the tires when it is filled properly.

If I can pull this off and actually live in this planter - and maintain it myself - no one will ever be able to deny the reality of miracles again....

post-7746-0-81484500-1409763868_thumb.jp

Forget about the outside. You can't see it when your living inside. Just a DIY wash and wax will work wonders. Just seal the roof.

For the inside magic words are TSP, Kilz, and the interior kid friendly paint in your choice of color (s). All from the big box store of your choice.

TSP is what you will use to clean anything that you want to paint. Remember that you are dealing with surfaces that have 30 years of gunge on them. In this case cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Kilz is a primer/stain hider it helps in making the paint stick and keeping stains from peeking through the final paint

The kid friendly paint will let you wash off any spills.

You can do this YOURSELF and in 2 budget driven steps, clean, prime and then paint.

Look through this site and see what happens when you paint the entire inside.

P.S. Lack of budget means DIY, don't sell your self short. The skills you need are simple and easy to learn.

P.P.S. IF the water heater works and the holding tanks don't leak the rest of the plumbing system is very simple. Even without hot water being able to use the toilet in the middle of the night is nice.