Propane Tank Conversion

paulnptld

Hi everyone,

I'm tired of the horizontally mounted propane tank in my Dolphin. It's out of certification now (though nobody seems to mind when refilling it), and rather than replacing it with another of the same, I think I'd rather add dual tanks to the steel cage on the back of my RV. Of course those would be traditional 20lb upright tanks rather than the horizontal one in the existing propane compartment.

Have any of you done a conversion of this sort? What needs to be changed out?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

only 5 to 10 dollors for a recertifaction good for 5 years. what you have to change the hose the tanks the regulater you could use an automatic changover reg switches from empty too full in the middle of the night when you are asleep. I carry a spare BBQ tank and set up and put my rv regulater on it.

Hi everyone,

I'm tired of the horizontally mounted propane tank in my Dolphin. It's out of certification now (though nobody seems to mind when refilling it), and rather than replacing it with another of the same, I think I'd rather add dual tanks to the steel cage on the back of my RV. Of course those would be traditional 20lb upright tanks rather than the horizontal one in the existing propane compartment.

Have any of you done a conversion of this sort? What needs to be changed out?

Thanks!

It's an easy conversion if that's what you want. You'll probably want a vertical-vented two-stage regulator and a way to keep it covered. Easiest way to do this with dual tanks is a two-stage regulator with a changeover valve and two outputs. This way when one tank is empty you can just turn the valve to the other tank. You can then remove the empty tank and still keep going with the other (if you want to fill the empty one. So you'd need a combo changeover-regulator. Two high pressure propane hoses with Prest-o-Lite ends (POLs). Then the low pressure hookup coming out of the regulator and to your existing line can be flexible rubber or copper or black-steel. Whatever you want. If you want to spend an extra $10 you can buy "excess flow" POLs that will cut off the gas in a line-break or fire emergency.

post-6578-0-87382400-1412427304_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19800600-1412427306_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-44071500-1412427307_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-14766500-1412427487_thumb.jp