Dolphin Interior Remodel (Mostly) Complete!

Finally! We're at a point in which we feel pretty good about the interior of our 1990 Dolphin V6. Now on to the exterior.

(PS - The photo on the fridge is from a month ago when our daughter tried her first lime!)

DSC04867

DSC04866

DSC04865

DSC04864

DSC04863

DSC04862

DSC04861

DSC04860

Dometic Fridge with custom cover

Bathroom

• 1 month later...

We have the same model Dolphin and my wife is reupolstering/recurtaining it now. She says COOL and really likes the wood floor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Peel N' Stick flooring?

I'm thinking I might go that route. Is the floor under the carpet fairly flat for a thin floor covering, or are there lumps and wires and such?

He sold his Dolphin a few months back so I don't know if he'll be coming back around here or not.

With my floor, anyways, there were no wires. All wires are probably in the walls, maybe a few in the ceiling. Depending on how they attached the carpet there may or may not be a lot of prep work to get a smooth surface. Hundreds of tiny staples can be annoying...that's for sure.

I used a floating, peel & stick interconnected fake wood flooring in mine. Pretty cheap, really easy installation. Looks really good.

I've thought about the Trafficmaster Allure a few time for both home and RV use. I keep bumping my head against their installation instruction which says:-

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Allure should not be installed in an environment
where the temperature is allowed to go below
55F or above 85F.

Sorry, but I'm not storing the MH in a heated, indoor garage for the Winter. Or the Summer, for that matter! Unfortunately, they (and others) never complete this type of dire warning by adding ".. or it will ..."!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Allure-6-in-x-36-in-African-Wood-Dark-Resilient-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-24-sq-ft-case-57111-0/202075777

8ffaf624-12ad-4000-9b55-cf7e1d5e4438_400

I don't recall if mine was traffic master or not, but I did get it at Home Depot...I'll let people know what happens to mine. I've seen 102 degrees F on my thermometer, and it's been below zero (F) this winter.

What I have noticed is that if direct sunlight is beating down on it, it will get hot and bow up. Basically it's acting like asphalt in the hot sun. Gets soft and contorts a bit.

He sold his Dolphin a few months back so I don't know if he'll be coming back around here or not.

With my floor, anyways, there were no wires. All wires are probably in the walls, maybe a few in the ceiling. Depending on how they attached the carpet there may or may not be a lot of prep work to get a smooth surface. Hundreds of tiny staples can be annoying...that's for sure.

I used a floating, peel & stick interconnected fake wood flooring in mine. Pretty cheap, really easy installation. Looks really good.

Thanks, good info. I was also looking at the peel and stick. I figure a couple boxs will do the whole floor. Once I finish the interior, that is.

My father used the peel and stick in the basement, directly over the concrete. It seems to do fine, although I can only imagine how cold the concrete underneath is. It's only been in the room for less than a year, we will see how long it holds up.

I also heard you don't want to use laminate flooring like you would use in a kitchen, I went to buy some from a flooring store and they discouraged me from buying it for the same reason. They said that the RV store up the road has them replace about 5-6 floors per year in BRAND NEW RV's that haven't even made it off the dealership floor. They said it will crack and peel up just due to the cold. I was dissapointed because I wanted a floor that was easy to clean up.

I won't argue with that. My experience is that my Chinook had some crappy kitchen laminate "tiles" as its floor, and there was only very slight peeling, 35 years later.

That's a sample size of 1, though.

If I were doing my floor again and had this information, I'm sure I'd be hesitant to use what I did. But what's done is done, and my floor is fine so far. Hasn't even been a year yet, though :)

Nice thing is that it's floating. And it didn't even take a full box to do my tiny little floor space. Pretty easy to pull up and replace, if I ever need to.

If it's floating, I can't imagine you'd run into half the issues that most people report. For only having to buy one box worth of flooring, even if you have to replace it every few years, it's still not that bad of an expense...Plus you get a a new floor again! :ThumbUp:

• 3 weeks later...

We have used allure in the Sunrader and laminate in the dolphin. Don't have the dolphin anymore, so I don't know how that has held up. Also, we don't see long cold winters although the temps can get into the teens a few weeks a year. The allure is my favorite.

I put it down in the little kitchen of the coffee shop we used to own. It's held up very well. now it is starting to wear out, but still stays down.

• 7 months later...

Very nice! What did you use for the mattress on the long couch? I want to replace mine, but not sure where to find the right size.

Paul sold his motorhome and no longer participates on this site. He didn't replace his sofa cushion he just recovered it. Doesn't even look like a reupholstery job. just think the threw the cloth on it

Linda S

• 2 months later...

Lovely!

Do you have a thread of the work in progress?

I am very curious: How did you do the painting? Did you strip wallpaper? Did you disassemble and sand the cabinets?

I am about to embark on an interior remodel adventure myself and would love to know how you did it!