Used Three-Way Fridge

Greetings,

I was just offered an opportunity to purchase a Dometic RM 760 three-way two-door fridge / freezer used for $100. Assuming it works, is this a good deal? The owner is willing to guarantee it to cool properly on 120v AC, 12 VDC, and propane. Is anyone familiar with this model? Any thoughts on how efficient these things are?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback and for the info re. the rust. I'll check it out. I have measured - it's a bit taller and a bit narrower than the old one. It looks like I'll need to remove the passenger seat to get the old one out the passenger door anyway, and I think the new one would go in the same way. I'll need to modify the cabinetry a bit, but that's no biggie. One other concern is ventilation - I need to take a look at both setups again before I pull the trigger on this.

As I was researching this stuff I found this thread about refrigeration on a Sprinter RV forum. It's informative and is 25 pages long. There's plenty of 12v vs. propane vs. ice box reading for everyone <g>. Apologies in advance if someone else has already posted it.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5723

Here's the install of a RM2510 in place of a RM2401. 8" taller. Your 'find' would be another 12" taller. Try eyeballing the pictures to see if you think it would fit in. Don't forget that it'll be heavier too and you might need another pair of hands (and the associated body) in the tight quarters to handle it.

http://cabbieland.byethost5.com/Sea-Breeze-Refrigerator.html

EDIT:- Sorry, the link is dead. Used this:- http://cabbieland.byethost31.com/?ckattempt=1

DuN,

Thanks for those photos. It certainly looks like an additional 12" would be pushing it, for sure. Not having gotten down to the actual measuring inside the RV yet, I find myself going off the RM760 idea....

BTW...the easiest way to get those refrigerators in and out of your RV? Remove the passenger side window in the coach. Easy to remove (5 minutes) and a much larger opening than the door. We had to do this for the used Dometic we just purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my frig (93 winnie warrior) by removing pax seat - 4 bolts. in & out was a piece of cake - with a helper.

As for the "new" frig" - weight is something to consider, the mod to the wood cabinet is another. I presume it will use more propane. We really use our frig - it stays full a lot. A bigger unit has appeal to me.

The addition of the 12vdc is also appealing - while driving it can save you propane --- do not leave it on 12vdc while the engine is stopped - it will draw a battery down quick. I would run a dedicated heavier gauge wire from the start battery directly to the frig - or possibly via some wire that is not hot when the key is removed (if you are forgetful).. Even if you forget & are safe from a dead start battery you will need to remember to switch the frig to propane or AC as appropriate.

The test I would use for the frig is to put thermometers in both the frig & freezer - and a cup of water in the freezer. Check back in 3 hours & again in 6 hours. More often if convenient. And test in all 3 modes.

All 3 modes produce heat so assuming the 3 heat sources are fully functional you should get similar results.