Is There A Wiring Diagram For 86 Sunrader?? Specifically The Clearance Lights.

Redbeard51

ISO - wiring information for the clearance lights. Only ones that work are the two in back off of the back lights down low on left and right. I know they seem to be in parallel linked from the readings....but where is the power source so I can check the beginning and go from there. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Hi Redbeard51 and everyone else! I'm a newbie, just joined today, we picked up a pretty nice running '84 Sunrader on the Nissan chassis this last weekend, drove it from Casper, Wyoming to home in Austin, TX. Ran fine, but it does have a number of issues, mostly minor, we'll be working on... First, we have clearance light issues - Some on, some off, some very weakly on. I'm guessing we have a mixture of burned out bulbs and corroded connections. Like Redbeard51, I'm hoping for a wiring diagram. Failing that, can anyone tell me if they're wired similarly to Winnebago, basically parallel from one light to the next, with a daisy-chained power wire and daisy-chained ground? Anyone know, are all the upper clearance lights on a single circuit, or is there a circuit for the front lights and another circuit for the rears? Are the lower rears on a third circuit? Any access to the wiring from the inside, or do you just hope for the best from the outside if you have to thread a new wire? Thanks! Bill

They often are fused right to left and they are paralled wired. The little bulbs and the cheap fixtures can be at best be exasperating. When I was a teenager I worked for a local garage and we serviced school buses they had to be inspected every 6 months I can tell you the lighting has not changed since the early 60's as far as the fixtures are concerned and they still use the same little bulbs.So unless you swap over to LED's you are going to have to deal with stuff that has been around for at least 50 years and has not improved one bit.

t, we have clearance light issues - Some on, some off, some very weakly on. I'm guessing we have a mixture of burned out bulbs and corroded connections. Like Redbeard51, I'm hoping for a wiring diagram. Failing that, can anyone tell me if they're wired similarly to Winnebago, basically parallel from one light to the next, with a daisy-chained power wire and daisy-chained ground? Anyone know, are all the upper clearance lights on a single circuit, or is there a circuit for the front lights and another circuit for the rears? Are the lower rears on a third circuit?

I don't know how the Sunrader is wired. My 1988 Minicruiser has the front clearance and marker lights wired into the front-left parking light area of the Toyota factory wiring harness. The rear clearance and marker lights get there power from the right rear end of the Toyota factory wiring harness. I.e. two different power sources for front and back. Both junctions between the RV wiring and the Toyota OEM wiring were made with crimp-on connectors that are not moisture proof and go bad over time. In regard to the bulbs and sockets themselves - do yourself a favor and just convert to LEDs that are direct wired with no bulb contacts to corrode.

A lot of the coach makers simply cut the truck wiring at the back and joined their wiring to it as jdemaris said often with Scotch Locks or stake on's that with many years and even no water rot. Some fused the parking lights in the coach some did not bother. If any of them light it does means that the truck to coach wiring for the lights is intact and each lamp will have to be dealt with accordingly and remember if the first one burns that does not mean that the rest will the problem maybe right at that light not allowing the power to reach the other lights. For a hundred dollars or less you can replace them all with LED's.

Having had an 86 Sunrader I had similar problems. Can't remember if there were two separate circuits but the lights run daisy chain style. In other words from one light to the next. I also remember that the actual connections at the lights consisted of the wires pushed into a tension type connector and after time that connection became corroded. So one bad connection killed any lights down stream. It will always be a problem unless you use some anti oxidant after you clean everything up. But even still those style lights are give you trouble some day in the future. You might consider moving up to LED and never worry again about corroded bulb contacts. I never did convert the sunrader but I did with the Gulfstream. On the Sunrader I cleaned up where the wires inserted into the lights tension connectors then soldered the wires to the connector. I then used anti oxidant grease where the bulbs contact the sockets. Every once in awhile I still had to get the ladder and wiggle one or two bulbs to get them working. Reason I did not do leds on the Sunrader is because at the time those type of replacements were expensive and over the budget. LED running lights are much cheaper now. Buy a couple extras though so that you have some extra lenses.