Circuit Protector

JUSTABANGER

I need some info about the Kohler generator in my Warrior. It has a on and off switch for the circuit protector. I'm assuming this should be in the on position when it's running. But when does it need shut off and for what reason? I have the manual on the generator that came with the RV and it shows the circuit protector but it doesn't have any info about it's function. I also did a search on here that didn't turn up anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I just went to replace the old deep cycle battery in the side box of the coach. Well there's a sticker that reads ''WARNING DISCONNECT BATTERIES BEFORE CONNECTING EXTERNAL CHARGING EQUIPMENT'' Can someone please clue me in on this. I assume it's ok to charge the battery under the hood with out disconnecting anything. I'm sorry about asking all these questions but my owners manual seems to be lacking in a lot of areas.

Also I just went to replace the old deep cycle battery in the side box of the coach. Well there's a sticker that reads ''WARNING DISCONNECT BATTERIES BEFORE CONNECTING EXTERNAL CHARGING EQUIPMENT'' Can someone please clue me in on this. I assume it's ok to charge the battery under the hood with out disconnecting anything. I'm sorry about asking all these questions but my owners manual seems to be lacking in a lot of areas.

I don't know what the intention was for that warning. In general - you don't want to hook up any sort of high powered charger or high-amp "boost starter" to any of the batteries when still hooked into the system. It can fry diodes in the alternator and in the converter in the coach. I don't know if that is what they meant by "external charger."

In regard to the circuit breaker on the genset? It just as the name implies. It is there to "break" the circuit. Serves as a manual shut-off and also as an automatic shut-off if an overload occurs.

Thanks guys, I was beginning to think I was alone on here. One more question. There is a button on my dash the has ECT on it on top it says power and on bottom it says normal could someone tell me what it's for.

I used to leave it on all the time but now for level driving I keep it off as I'm not pushing it hard. For the steep hills aroung here it's first gear all the way anyway. Useful for rolling hills at freeeway speed if they are not too steep or long. If I go fast enough to get revs up I can use the OD if level, no wind.

As a general rule, you should isolate any battery before applying charge - including the one under your hood. Many an alternator has died from battery chargers.

In the cabin battery, you risk frying your convertor.

Play it safe - turn off 120v input (shore or gen) and disconnect one lead (preferably the negative) before applying charge.

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys

Just got my first Toyota motor home and I'm confused RE this topic. We need 12v connection to actually fire up the generator, so how can we unplug the batteries before the generator is actually providing power?

Thanks,

Nick

1 hour ago, Nicdob said:

Hey Guys

Just got my first Toyota motor home and I'm confused RE this topic. We need 12v connection to actually fire up the generator, so how can we unplug the batteries before the generator is actually providing power?

Thanks,

Nick

If your generator is factory installed don't worry about it. No need to disconnect the battery. The generator is supposed to charge it. Funky home done installations might have some problems but Winnebago kind of knows what they are doing

Linda S

OK great thanks! That solves that issue.

I have some more questions, but they don't belong in this thread. I'll post a fresh thread

Nick

On 8/12/2014 at 6:41 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

The CB on the gen should stay 'on' all the time.

ECT changes the gear shifting pattern - I also think it changes timing a little too (for more power)

Nope only the shift points.

5 hours ago, linda s said:

If your generator is factory installed don't worry about it. No need to disconnect the battery. The generator is supposed to charge it. Funky home done installations might have some problems but Winnebago kind of knows what they are doing

Linda S

Yep the same effect as plugging it in to the world.