Boxes For Generators

snail powered

I came across a thread on another forum that has some interesting talk about a custom, aluminum diamond plate box for a Honda generator. I can see having someone weld up one of these for my rig. No need to take the generator out of the box to use it.

eu2000_box_4.JPG

Also a link to another forum where there is a modified generator compartment to allow a Honda Generator to fit into it. How he handled the exhaust is interesting, it exits above the RV roof.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20038531/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Carefull you are going to set the "experts" off.

Now that I look closely at the diamond plate box I see that it is riveted and I am a professional Rosie the riveter by trade. I had forgotten that my friend did bring home a Mig welder last fall but I have not tried using it. Either way I can probably make the box myself if I put my mind to it. The store Online metals is located right in my neighborhood so they will cut all the basic sections for me. I can make the openings with a router and templates.

But no point in making a box until I get a generator to put in it.

Onlinemetals.com has been great. Before places like their's - if I wanted a piece of "non-stocked" metal from the local steel dealer - I had to buy at least 20-30 feet of it. Now I can buy by the inch or foot. I just got some DOM tubing from them last week.

Might as well provide entertainment for the experts. The computer screen is the replacement for the old gas stations with benches and a chest full of soft drinks out front.

Soft drinks? What the heck happened to beer?

Onlinemetals.com has been great. Before places like their's - if I wanted a piece of "non-stocked" metal from the local steel dealer - I had to buy at least 20-30 feet of it. Now I can buy by the inch or foot. I just got some DOM tubing from them last week.

They even have an offcuts at a discount area by the will call counter. I should probably drop in there now and again to look for smaller pieces of diamond plate. They are only a couple of blocks out of my way.

I did not know what DOM tubing was. Always fun to hit the dictionary and learn new stuff.

They even have an offcuts at a discount area by the will call counter. I should probably drop in there now and again to look for smaller pieces of diamond plate. They are only a couple of blocks out of my way.

I did not know what DOM tubing was. Always fun to hit the dictionary and learn new stuff.

I use a lot of DOM tubing to make bushings. I rarely need more then a foot since bushing are rarely longer then 1 or 2 inches. the stuff is hardenable and comes in many sizes. One bushing - premade and hardened from Case-IH or John Deere can cost $20-$40. When I make them myself they sometimes cost only one dollar to make. Wasn't worth making my own when it required buying 20 feet of tubing when only a few inches were needed. Now with places like Speedy Metals or On Line Metals - it works out nicely. They make a few bucks and the buyer saves a lot of bucks.

My only concern with that box setup is would you get sufficient air circulation for cooling.

Looks to be a pretty tight fit.

My only concern with that box setup is would you get sufficient air circulation for cooling.

Looks to be a pretty tight fit.

It is a concern. But as it is not insulated it might dissipate OK. Aluminum is used for heat sinks but of course this is not a cooling fin situation. Not being a thermal engineer I would have to put some research time it before I make something similar. I think the answer might be some 12 volt cooling fans that kick in when the generator is running to help with air circulation. They won't draw much power.

A 12v radiator fan is the simple answer, like you plan. Just check and make sure that your genset has a direct 12v DC output. That way you won't forget to start the cooling fan.

A 12v radiator fan is the simple answer, like you plan. Just check and make sure that your genset has a direct 12v DC output. That way you won't forget to start the cooling fan.

Thanks for the suggestion of a radiator fan. I can honestly say I would not have thought of using one but it seems like a very logical choice.

Check E-bay Radiator (oil cooler) fans start at 7" which will flow around 600 CFM, a 10" will flow around 1500 CFM

• 2 weeks later...

you might need to take it out - it needs air circulation

The fan provides air circulation. There are a number of such boxes on the market for the Honda generators.

Here is another one. http://hapcoinc.com/categories/process-heating/hapco-specialty-products/generator-box-eu3000-click-for-additional-photos

In addition aluminum is a good material for heat dissipation which is why it is used for heat sinks to draw the heat away from electronic components so they don't fry themselves. Plus of course one could open the box lid if it is not raining. If it was raining then the box would be cooled by the rain but you could still use the generator. No box and its raining then you can't use your generator out of doors ;( .

It rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest and on the Oregon Coast. The time you most need a generator to supplement solar power is when its raining. So what is the point of having a generator if you can't use it when you really need it?

• 3 weeks later...

Nice setup on the compartment. I do not see myself spending about $1k for the box to house the generator that costs the same! I used to have the Onan 2.8 on my previous Warrior. On the Itasca, I carried the Honda Eu2000i in the compartment, and I have to take it outside every time I need to run it. When I get some time, I will make a sliding tray so I can just pull it out, run it, and push it back in...not a very high priority for me but if any of you have done or seen this done, please share.

On the pic below, you see the generator storage compartment, my little boy helped pushing the cord in, and the red generator on the lower corner

Thanks!

post-4406-0-52169600-1409358297_thumb.jp

Nice setup on the compartment. I do not see myself spending about $1k for the box to house the generator that costs the same! I used to have the Onan 2.8 on my previous Warrior. On the Itasca, I carried the Honda Eu2000i in the compartment, and I have to take it outside every time I need to run it. When I get some time, I will make a sliding tray so I can just pull it out, run it, and push it back in...not a very high priority for me but if any of you have done or seen this done, please share.

On the pic below, you see the generator storage compartment, my little boy helped pushing the cord in, and the red generator on the lower corner

Thanks!

I can't lift a generator and the compartments on my Sunrader are not tall enough to house one on a slide out tray. Therefore I will build a box.