Roof Sagging From Air Conditioner Weight?

Here is the frame I had made (looks a lot like the one from the link) and it gives my roof a very slight curve. It cost me about $250.

post-7001-0-81351200-1406431380_thumb.jp

unless you have a fiberglass Toyhome, they have curves in the roof. Supposed to be curved up unless of course they are flattened by an air conditioner :innocent:

No curves on the Minicruiser with aluminun skin over plywood and foam.

Looks perfect for mounting some solar panels too.

That's a lot of weight and added height just for a few solar panels. I also suspect leak prone if used for an AC unit. All a solar panels needs is some small Z-brackets.

post-6578-0-80146600-1406464709_thumb.jp

If I did that I would miss the unexpected shower I get when in move the MH it all ways takes just enough time for me to open the door and start to get out!

I meant to use the support to multitask and not just use it to support the weight of the A/C. Without adding extra holes for a collection of 'Z' brackets. :)

It's similar to what I had to put under my Chinook to support it. And yes, I can see how it could be an option to fix a roof sagging from an AC unit rather then tear it apart. Would not be my choice. If the roof is sagging - it's likely rotted and needs to be redone anyway. You'd be be putting straight metal supports over a not-straight rotted roof that would likely get worse over time. Likely to be leak prone at the juncture of the AC unit, supports, and old roof. Just my opinion. Different people address problems in different ways.

Mine sagged not a lot just enough to collect water and it had aluminum rafters. There was no rot I had the ac off to replace the gaskets they just sag the span is too wide to support the weight. What I don't get with the brace yeah it will support the ac but how does it fix the sagging roof and how do you reseal the ac? I'm missing some thing.

If you read the ad the brace is for new roofs that the owner wants to install a roof AC on.

Its not to fix a bad roof.

The design will help a bad roof, if you put a small curve in the bracket then it would help drain the roof. Preventing more damage.

To seal it you just use 2 gaskets one on the underside and the other between the brace and the AC.

• 3 months later...

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&image=2860

I went fore and aft between the two metal roof ribs with 1/4"x1.5"x1.5" aluminum. Pulled up a half inch of roof sag with the 1/4x20 s/s bolts. Only had to shape the bottoms of the 1/8"x1.5"x.5" channel cross pieces to match the curve of the roof.

p.s. Also got a new A/C from the project after cracking a tube pulling down the old unit. Not a one person job. And No, they are not repairable, legally, in CA.