Hey everyone

1981 Huntsman 20' 4 cyl 4 spd dually

what happened was this, vehicle handled well and I replaced the relay rod, tie rods inner and outer, both sides on tie rods, because of a popping noise when I turned to the right. it was the relay rod and idler arm connection, it was very loose and falling apart so, since I had to do the one thing I just did everything..pain in the rear but done and done steering is tight and not pulling I did get one cog off on my pitman arm to gearbox because my steering wheel is now cocked slightly to the right BUT, I have an issue that I do not understand and it is this,

now when driving if I turn ever so slightly when driving in a straight line I get a "rocking" from side to side of the top of the camper.. as if I had a massive full tank of water on the roof.. what can cause that? .. a sway bar or a stabilizer?

I have bags on the rear that I aired up to almost full which before was what I had to do to get a smooth ride that wouldn't bounce the "cheechee's" off my female riders, was not comfortable for my ostomy either.

I have not had it very long and drove it to the Ozarks when I bought it .. and when I learned the airbags smooth out the ride and keep the bouncing to a bare minimum .. but this rocking left to right from the top is kinda scary.. definitely a safety issue and causing me concern as I don't want to roll over because I tried to avoid an obstacle in the road.. which before the repairs was never an issue..

So I think I fixed one and created another problem.. but more likely I already had the problem and fixing one thing only made the other much more obvious..

at any rate I have no clue how to stop it and do miss driving it regularly.. any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Did you have a front end alignment done?

Factory rear sway bar ??

Front suspension bushings good? Rear suspension bushings good?

Front / rear shocks new?

Bad bushings let the axles move without the suspension working to control things

I guess I did the front end alignment.. it seems fine.. as for the rest I am not sure who to tell if I have a rear sway bar or if my bushings are bad and all my shocks are old.. as a matter of fact everything on the vehicle is probably original equipment.. it belonged to a man who lived in it but didn't drive it .. when I got it it only had 64k miles on it.. that is what I was told.. the truth of the matter is unverifiable for me..

but I will look into these things when the sun comes up ..

I have I know a bar across the front end.. what am I looking for when I am inspecting the bushings and and I would like to replace the shocks and springs but not sure how to ask for them .. it lists as a 1/2 ton pickup deluxe according to the VIN but I think I need heavier duty than that..shrugs

umm ok I got this FSM that I downloaded from uhh someplace ..maybe yota blogs or 4x4 blogs at any rate what bushings am I looking for .. ..LOL and please don't say all of them ROFL.. hmm is there a bushing kit?

FSM zip is titled 1983 Toyota Pickup FSM.zip but the opened adobe filename is titled 88_TOYOTA_TRUCK_Service_Manual.pdf

hmmm well it seems I never opened the zip file just did it seems I have a copy of the 88 pickup 4WD and the 83 toyota truck manual...

my dolphin when had bought it had 67000 org miles but the front shocks were totally shot I took them off and there was no control left in them pure junk. bad shocks will cause dangerous swaying. my prevous 78 minmax did pushups going down the road replaced all shocks on it .

well this sways in a manner that makes it feel like it will fall on it's side if I turned the wheel to much to fast

is that what you mean ?

because it is not swaying parallel to the road ..

more like the feeling of an inverted swing..? hard to describe...kinda like that old toy.. a weeble.. it wobbles but wont fall down .. or an inflatable punching clown when you hit it it pops back up .. that is my sway.. like those toys..

What kind of shocks are best for these homes on wheels?.. the ones on there are likely original and look rinky dinky..

well now that I have found the correct section in the manual it says it could be one of three or a mutiple of the three ..being tire inflation stabilizer bar or shocks.. and tire inflation is not an issue.. so on to the next.. I will inspect bushings on stabilizer and ..how do I check the shocks.. jump up and down on the bumper? or is that for coil springs?.. ah I can't wait to get this fixed

to check shocks look for oil leaks did not see any on myn but when I took them off I pumped them up down they were totally shot no resistance at all

I replaced the shocks on my MH this year before going on vacation. When I removed the front shocks, I found that they had a good 3 inches of play before they hit any resistance. I am glad that I did the repair because we drove 3500 miles and had strong winds almost the entire time. The MH drives much better now. The MH had a similar sway to it as you described.

well this sways in a manner that makes it feel like it will fall on it's side if I turned the wheel to much to fast

is that what you mean ?

because it is not swaying parallel to the road ..

more like the feeling of an inverted swing..? hard to describe...kinda like that old toy.. a weeble.. it wobbles but wont fall down .. or an inflatable punching clown when you hit it it pops back up .. that is my sway.. like those toys..

Have you checked it for "dog-tracking?" That can give those symptoms. I've had to fix many trucks with that problem. With the front wheels straight- measure the center the front wheel to the center of the back - one each side. If off then more then a 1/2" - you need to fix it. Note that is not a comprehensive check. Just one of several.

Here is someone else's description and remedies.

Dog tracking, also called wandering, involves a defect in the suspension parts or angles of the wheels on a truck. If the wheels of a truck do not square correctly with each other, the steering and ride of the vehicle becomes erratic. Dog tracking can be seen as the side to side movement of the truck on a level road as its tries to maintain a straight track. Various problems can cause dog tracking, like suspension component wear and wheel misalignment. A truck owner can perform some basic inspections and repairs to correct dog tracking before a professional wheel alignment

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_7941570_correct-dog-tracking-truck.html

1000.00 worth of tires last year ..so yep. all new

I think it will end up being the shocks.. gonna change out stabilizer bushing and replace ball joints first tho.. or maybe one side at a time do ball joints and shocks.. have not decided yet.. been working on the working cars trying to keep em workin'.

From what I am reading in order to change the shocks or the stabilizer bar or either the lower and upper ball joints.. I need to undo the torsion bar and tie rod and.. I forgot ..maybe the stabilizer bar or the vehicle height adjusting stud

so at any rate I may just do a side at a time ..and not use it till I get both sides completed

Edited by yotastrange

• 4 months later...

Did you have a front end alignment done? <did it myself>

Factory rear sway bar ?? <no>

Front suspension bushings good? Rear suspension bushings good? < these are probably original 30 yrs old parts>

Front / rear shocks new? <yes>

Bad bushings let the axles move without the suspension working to control things <sighs - wish I had read this when I had things apart>

is there a bushing kit that has everything I want all in one package? should I use rubber or poly bushings? at this point I have new tie rods x 4, new relay rod, new shocks x 4, and since I was sagging on the passengers side I made and adjustment to the torsion bar and realigned the front end.. I still have the rocking side to side.. so I believe it is down to the bushings and/or rear sway bar

I'm kind of wondering why you didn't check the sway bar first. I noticed a sway in mine a few years ago and checked the sway bar and found the bushings gone and bolts came through the holes on one side. New bushings and bolts with some larger washers and been great since. A few dollars instead of replacing soo much stuff

Linda S

he has no sway bar, thats the problem 100% sure final answer. My rig did exact same thing with brand new bilstein shocks, tires brakes bags were good .

See my article in the forum on the aftermarket swaybar kit i put in that Alan recommended. it was one of the easiest things i have ever installed and eliminated the sickening sway.