• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel the same as Linda about mechanics and tire monkeys. After one tire monkey used an air ratchet that tightened the lug nuts so tight that I feared breaking them off to remove the rim, I never let anyone else mount tires on any of my cars. Another mechanic ruined my disks after a bad resurfacing and then trying to correct the defect. I bought a factory manual from Toyota and began doing everything myself. What the manual does not have in detail, somebody on youtube will have made a video (like how to remove the main pulley off the engine without the Toyota Special Service Tool).

if you need to remove the main pulley you can buy what is called a harmonic balancer puller any good auto parts storeshould have it

TRAILER tires have a very poor reputation on trailers let alone to put them on a moter home . they might work on a non road farm wagen. I have freands that put truck tires on a fifth wheel got fed up with problems

Car and light truck tires also have a bad reputation when used on trailers. All depends on who you listen to.

Properly made "ST" trailer tires have beefed up sidewalls to handle the huge side-stress they get from turns since trailers don't have steering axles that follow a turn like a car or truck does. "ST" trailer tires also - in most cases - have a max speed limit of 65 MPH. Some makers of ST tires allow a speed higher then 65 MPH if the pressure can be safely increased. It cannot if a trailer tire is already maxed out due to weight on it.

I suspect much of the whining in forums the past couple of years over trailer tires is due to some of the horrible Chinese trailer tires that flooded the market for awhile.

I've got no choice on two of my trailers since they take 8 X 14.5" tires. No auto or light-truck tires made in that size that I know of. They have a 14 ply rating and a load rating of 3100 lbs. each @ 115 PSI. Last set I bought was 12 years ago and never had any issues. Made in China, too.

When I needed (or wanted) 185R-14C tires here in northern Michigan last year - I went to three tire shops and all told me my size-designation was wrong and "missing a number." So I just said to one guy (in Rogers City Michigan) - "call your supplier and ask." So he did, they had two brands of 185R-14C in stock and I had mine the next morning. That's all it took. I picked the Federal brand with an 8-ply rating. In Europe, Toyota uses single 195-14C tires in 21 foot Toyota motorhomes with the same weight as our duallies. I don't recall ever seeing that size here in an 8-ply rating.

Note - I also tried the local Walmart when searching for tires for my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser. They sell P195-75-R14" for the duallies and not in an 8-ply rating. They may of have been fine since Toyota does not require an 8-ply rated tire on the rear. I did not try the tires from Walmart though. For the same price I got the Federal 8 ply rated tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356&partnum=975R4356&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Yokohama Y356. The only make/model I know of that has 3 tires that will work for us. Most others I've seen offer 1.

I'd still chose the 185R14 LR D. I see no advantage using the others unless you really need to save $11/tire by going to the LR C.

Combine the suspect Chinese tires with a lack of maintanance and it is a sure recipt for problems! As auto and tire technology have progressed over the years it is easy to become complacent on maintenence.

Still curious does anyone know what tires came on the 90's Toyotas? Were they dual axle from the factory? JIm

Lots of them

Combine the suspect Chinese tires with a lack of maintanance and it is a sure recipt for problems! As auto and tire technology have progressed over the years it is easy to become complacent on maintenence.

Still curious does anyone know what tires came on the 90's Toyotas? Were they dual axle from the factory? JIm

Yes Toyota made the chassis and it came with the full float dual wheel axle. As for tire size National equipped their rigs with the 185r14 tires but Winnebago's came with the 195r14. Lots of those 195's still made

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/achilles/195-14+achilles+ltr-80+106%252F104q+bw.html

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/hankook/195-14+hankook+ra08++bw.html

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/nexen/195-14+nexen+sv820+104r+bsw.html

Linda S

Oh National is Dolphin and Seabreeze

Toyota manufactured the cab & chassis and sold it to RV makers with minimum requirements. Units with single rear wheels were shipped (standard) with 185R-14LT8PR inflated to 65 PSI on the rear and 26 PSI on the front. For units with dual-real-wheels Toyota shipped them with 185R14LT6PR inflated to 29 PSI on the rear and 29 PSI on the front. I suppose RV builders could order optional packages but I see nothing in the Toyota books about it. Just a list of what coach builders are allowed to modify and what they cannot.

I should of included the dates of the Toyota cab & chassis books those specs come from. 1985, 1987, 1988, and 1990. Those are the only Toyota Coach-builders manuals I have - and also 2004. In 2004 Toyota is using only single tire rears for an even higher GVRW then our duallies. Semi-floater too. 2004 uses either 195R-14C or 205/70-15C.

Well 2004 was 10 years ago. Toyota can't be supplying manufacturers in Europe with cab and chassis with 14 inch tires now cause they haven't made a truck with 14 inch tires in 10 years. Whatever European RV makers your talking about would have 15 or 16 inch wheels on their rigs and way more load rating on those tires

Linda S

Well 2004 was 10 years ago. Toyota can't be supplying manufacturers in Europe with cab and chassis with 14 inch tires now cause they haven't made a truck with 14 inch tires in 10 years. Whatever European RV makers your talking about would have 15 or 16 inch wheels on their rigs and way more load rating on those tires

Linda S

Maybe higher load-ratings for some of the newer tires. Not for the newer Toyota trucks though. 2015 Toyota cab & chassis comes with 205/70-15" tires and a GVWR of 6116 lbs. Actually a little lower then some of the 2004 trucks with 14" tires. The 205/70-15" tires are almost exactly the same size as the 185R-14" tires we are using. The 15" just have less rubber and more steel wheel. OD and width very similar. 185R-14C sits a 1/4" lower and is 1" thinner then the 205/70-15" tire. Toyota and Isuzu are the few cab & chassis using 15" tires now. VW uses 205-16C. The Mahindra trucks from India use 245/75-16".

post-6578-0-04495600-1422377725_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-56170200-1422377726_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-09754600-1422377728_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-48166600-1422377729_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-50598600-1422377730_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-59038300-1422377731_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42898800-1422377732_thumb.jp

I ordered the tires Mon and here it is Fri afternoon and they are sitting in my Garage! They are round, they are black the DOT date code is 3614, good. The have 2 ply sidewall with 5 ply thread, OK. There is a LT marking light truck? What is the M+S for??

JIm SW FL

A C is a mark for commercial rated tire (LT185/14 C). Not a C load rated tire.

The M&S is mud and snow.

The M+S threw me. A long time ago in a land far away : ) The summer tires would be put away and the winter tires would come out and then in spring the summer tires would be put back on.

Now there seems to be M+S tires that are not winter tires! According to the internet real winter tires are marked with a mountain with a snowflake in it. A winter tire would not hold up well in FL.

JIm SW FL

• 3 months later...

Federal may be new back there but out here Les shaub sells Federal tires and have for quite a few years. Don't know what they have but I have seen them in there. Here front snow tires only required on front with front or all wheel drive. a true winter tire will beat any so called all seasons tire also sold as all weather tire. I call those 3 season tires and in winter I run on my DODGE car 4 Hankook studded winter tires legal in wash st nov 1 to april 30, whether stud or not winter traction tires are often required on wa mtn passes

• 2 weeks later...

Well I now have about 150 miles on my GoForm tires. I know it's basically nothing as far as miles, but they ride nice and they aren't noisy. No sidewall bubbling or deformations yet, they seem to be a completely adequate tire for someone looking to save a little money. Cheers

One thing I did not like on my Hankooks was that when slowing or stopping they make squealing sounds on any paint or molded labels on the pavement, this seems to bother some pedestrians. I had chalked this up to an RV thing until I got a pair of Hankooks for the front of my Ford and they do the same thing. I have tried different tire pressures and within my range of pressures sameo sameo :( .
I will put the Hankooks on the back of the Ford and get something else for the fronts. Do the GoForms do this?? and how's the traction, especially braking and wet traction ???

Re: M+S

See

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-blog/what-is-a-mud-and-snow-tire and,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=33&affiliate=HJ7, which doesn't seem to address the date code ???

The new Michelin M+S Premiers I got for the Subaru have a tire compound that lowers the tires working temperature for better cold traction , but I think this is more for cold wet driving than heavy snow. The rubber compound for a real snow tire will overheat and not last long in warm driving conditions.

One thing I did not like on my Hankooks was that when slowing or stopping they make squealing sounds on any paint or molded labels on the pavement, this seems to bother some pedestrians. I had chalked this up to an RV thing until I got a pair of Hankooks for the front of my Ford and they do the same thing. I have tried different tire pressures and within my range of pressures sameo sameo :( .

I will put the Hankooks on the back of the Ford and get something else for the fronts. Do the GoForms do this?? and how's the traction, especially braking and wet traction ???

The goforms do not squeal on any condition, or not that I have experienced. I had one occasion where I had to brake hard, and still didn't experience squealing or skidding. Braking traction is great and I can't speak to the wet traction, but they are siped good enough for what they are so I'd have to assume wet traction is fair. I will let you know if that opinion changes.

• 4 weeks later...

The goforms do not squeal on any condition, or not that I have experienced. I had one occasion where I had to brake hard, and still didn't experience squealing or skidding. Braking traction is great and I can't speak to the wet traction, but they are siped good enough for what they are so I'd have to assume wet traction is fair. I will let you know if that opinion changes.

I know it's only been a month but how are they? Just got done with a tune up on my "new" 1981 Dolphin. Tires are next, don't have much money......

I have a 84 Dolphin that I put Goform tires on, so far I have 1500 miles on them and drove in the rain and all is good. So far I'm glad I went with them and the price was good to.

Yup, I just ended an 11 1/2 hour round trip with the GoForms with no issues. They ride nice, no noise. We drove from our place in Central Vermont, to York, Maine and back. On the way back we took a long unnecessary route (they say it's about the journey, not the destination). We could've been home in about 3 1/2 hours, but we drove up over the White Mountains in NH and the back road route took about 7 1/2 hours. I want to say it was about 400 miles total trip, but I would have to get exact numbers later. I am very happy with what these tire can handle for the price.

Thanks for the reports!! I have managed to get about 50 miles on mine since I bought them in Jan of this year. All I can add is they look much better than the old ones on the Toy. I would like to say I have not had a flat yet, but I did manage to pick up a nail in those short miles.

Jim SW FL

Ordered GoForm 185/r14c the other day from eBay, $480 for 8 of them (have to get a rear spare [6 lug] in addition to my front spare [5 lug]). Gotta carry 2 spares, UGH!!! But I'm sure this is a common occurrence with upgraded axle toy homes. Fingers are crossed!!! I figured if I spent $1000 on 8 tires from Discount Tire with road hazard warranty I'd have to replace all 8 before the warranty would pay of itself. And that was for Yokohama (spelling?) Y356s that I've been warned about. Opinions?

Ordered GoForm 185/r14c the other day from eBay, $480 for 8 of them (have to get a rear spare[6 lug] in addition to my front spare[5 lug]). Gotta carry 2 spares, UGH!!! But I'm sure this is a common occurrence with upgraded axle toy homes. Fingers are crossed!!! I figured if I spent $1000 on 8 tires from Discount Tire with road hazard warranty I'd have to replace all 8 before the warranty would pay of itself. And that was for Yokohama (spelling?) Y356s that I've been warned about. Opinions?

I carry only a spare for the front. If a rear tire goes flat which has happened several times I drive slowly to somewhere it can be fixed. make sure whomever installs your tires uses the right valve stems. Metal or high pressure rubber. All my flats were from too weak rubber valve stems

Linda S

Oh yeah, anyone know where I can get an extra 6 lug dually wheel for a spare?

There is a guy on the facebook page that is selling 4 or 5 of them for $60 a piece (from what I can remember). I will get his contact info and PM you directly.

*he is located in Portland, Oregon.