I'm thinking about ordering these tires for the Winne. Anyone used them before? They're cheap Chinese tires, but any reviews I found for them said they are on par with Hankook.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm thinking about ordering these tires for the Winne. Anyone used them before? They're cheap Chinese tires, but any reviews I found for them said they are on par with Hankook.

I have not tried the Goforms on any trucks. I bought a new set of Goforms for my wife's VW Jetta almost three years ago. 185/60-14" $27 each and $7 shipping. So $35 each to my door and no tax. They've been great and far exceeded my expectations. Car is driven on highways and also many rocky gravel roads. I HAVE tried the Achilles and Federal tires in the size 185R-14C D and both have been great. Both are from China or Malaysia. Being from China doesn't make something bad in itself. It's the quality control that's the issue. FEDERAL is used on many European and Asian trucks and has a good rep.

how do i post a link here??? cant copy and paste it...

Derek, i found reviews through amazon. Not of this actual size, but of other Goform tires...

Thanks for the insight! thats what i was looking for.

I have not tried the Goforms on any trucks. I bought a new set of Goforms for my wife's VW Jetta almost three years ago. 185/60-14" $27 each and $7 shipping. So $35 each to my door and no tax. They've been great and far exceeded my expectations. Car is driven on highways and also many rocky gravel roads. I HAVE tried the Achilles and Federal tires in the size 185R-14C D and both have been great. Both are from China or Malaysia. Being from China doesn't make something bad in itself. It's the quality control that's the issue. FEDERAL is used on many European and Asian trucks and has a good rep.

at $409 shipped to my door, i think im going to take the risk and buy them. They are covered by ebays buyer protection if they arrive looking crappy.

at $409 shipped to my door, i think im going to take the risk and buy them. They are covered by ebays buyer protection if they arrive looking crappy.

Those 8-ply rated Goforms are $74 each shipped to my door in New York from www.tires-easy.com

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&sowigan=&Breite=185&Quer=&Felge=14&Speed=&kategorie=6&LoadRange=&Marke=&ranzahl=4&search_tool=standard&tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&suchen=View+Tires

Tires-easy has very different shipping charges depending on where you live and the tire you buy. Some of their tires are crazy cheap to my location and others are very expensive. The Goform tires are only $9.45 to ship to my house but the Achillies are over 17 dollars per tire. Must depend on the warehouse the tires are stored at or location of their supplier for that tire

Linda S

I am less than an hour drive from their offices in Benicia but they do not allow any tire pickup. Everything must be shipped

I'm going to take the risk and try them out!

I am choosing to buy through ebay rather than their direct website... its 40 more, but ill be covered by ebay buyer protection!

The company is legit and don't waste your money through eBay.

I have a set of goforms on my granville and they are doing just fine. I paid $340ish shipped for 6 tires. I've also ordered other tires from them without issue.

I only have about 1500-2000 miles.

I've never had anything else to compare it to other than the old tires that were originally on when I got it, but I have no complaints and no visible wear.

Here's a Webpage somebody put up sort of a "history" of 185R-14C D tires.

Goform may be fine. The one's on my wife's VW Jetta have been and cost less then $20 each But why take a chance when you can likely buy new Federal tires for the same price? I think I paid $62 each for my new Federals this spring. That's delivered to the shop. Goforms would be $67 sent to my house. I mention Federal because it's a long established Asian tire maker and their van and truck tires have been used for many years in Europe with great reviews. I'd go with the Goforms if a lot cheaper. But otherwise? At least the Federals are well tested.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TirePhotos.html

post-6578-0-16182400-1407066293_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-18239300-1407066294_thumb.jp

Thanks guys, the Goforms are $51. Talked to Big O here and they didn't say anything bad about them.

Dana

Goforms are $51 at Big O or Tires-easy. Tires-easy you must add shipping and that can vary widely depending on where you are and the tire you order. Very widely. Some tires to my location are only 9 bucks but others are almost 18. Times 6 or 7 tires that's a big ticket I have to include in the cost. JD, I don't see those Federal tires at any place online in this country. Can you tell us where you bought them. Never hurts to have as many options as possible

Linda S

I don't know if anyone sells them on-line. When I went tire shopping in northern Michigan - every tire place we went to offered us Goforms, Federal, and then the higher priced name-brands. All were available the next day from whatever warehouse they were coming from.

This is the search-engine for Federal tires in the USA. I know it's incomplete since it shows nobody selling their tires in northern Michigan. I suspect Federal is new to making a presence in the USA.

http://www.federaltire.com/en/distributor.php

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pulling the trigger on the Goform G325's tonight... $392 w/ 2-3 day shipping for 7 tires, can't resist. Tires-easy.com. I've dealt with them on 2 other occasions, and they have always been really easy to deal with, and the customer support and returns policy...top notch.

Great, please make sure to post up some feedback, after you've got some miles on 'em, Vermonter.

Who will you use to install/balance?

I live pretty close to a toyota dealership that I used to work at and I have a couple friends who are mechanics there. I assume they can handle the job. If not, we have a couple diesel shops around that I am sure can handle it if toyota can't. Diesel mechanics usually have any special equipment that might be needed to swap tires on the dually wheels, so it's probably a good choice for anyone to try and find a diesel shop around town and become friendly with them.

And also, I have not yet "pulled the trigger" on buying these tires. By the time I got home that night, I completely forgot to order them and I've been side tracked ever since. I will probably run to the bank in the morning and make sure the funds are there and then order them tomorrow afternoon.

• 2 months later...

Yes, I did end up buying them. 7 to be exact.

They are not installed yet and won't be until I can get my Rig out of storage in the spring. I ordered them from tires-easy.com and ended up getting all 7 for under $400 shipped, and all the manufacturer dates were within 2 months of the purchase date! So I was very happy about that.

My first opinion of them is that they are very well made and I would not consider them "cheap" if I hadn't known what I paid for them.

I can't say for certain how they perform, but their load rating was correct, so I can't expect much "performance" out of a D load rating other than "does it get me from point A to point B without exploding or do they hydroplane?" I can't say for sure, but I am very optomistic of these tires.

It's not a conclusive opinion, but it's headed in the right direction...

Thanks Vermonter

I prefer to deal locally but of three places I could only get 1 price! $136 for a hankook, mounted and balanced. Two of the places I called were not sure what a 185R 14 was. My friend suspects they are high speed trailer tires?

Anyone know what size came on these originally?

So went with tire-easy.com I bought seven as most of the tires on mine are 14 years old except 2 Kumos that are from 2008. Nothing I would trust for a spare.

I do not mind buying cheap tires as these will sit and rot, more than being driven on.

Goform G325 R14C D/ $ 45.30 7 $ 317.10 Subtotal 7 $ 317.10 Shipping and Handling within 33917 $ 79.63 Total $ 396.73

Two of the places I called were not sure what a 185R 14 was. My friend suspects they are high speed trailer tires?

Anyone know what size came on these originally?

Metric tire sizes with the missing "middle" number have been around since the late 1950s, at least. When that middle number is left out - it means it's an "82 % height to width" ratio. If the tire were an 185/75-14" instead - it would have a "75%" aspect ratio. 185R-14"C means 82%.

Toyota cab & chassis rigs sold to RV makers for use as motorhomes with dual rear wheels call for 185R-14" C tires with a minimum of a 6 ply rating for the rear. For the front Toyota calls for 185R-14" C tires with an 8 ply rating. RV makers can call for something even better, but not worse to meet Toyota standards.

185R-14"C is not just a trailer tire.

I've got el-cheapos on two of my RVs. One set is three years old and the other a little over a year. No complaints. 185R-14"C in 8 ply ratings. One set from Achilles and the other set from Federal. Taiwan and China. Achilles were around $48 each. The Federals around $60 each.

And I have had tire shops try to tell me the same; that the tires I was looking to buy were trailer tires and wouldn't work. They told me that Hankook RA08 were trailer tires and I could not use them for my RV.

I became very disenfranchised with tire stores after going through the process of getting new tires and rims for my camper. It's just amazing what those guys don't know.

According to the first one I went to, I might as well scrap my Chinook because I'll never find replacement rims, and even if I did, they don't make tires to fit them anymore in the right load rating.

Ugh.

Yeah I just got my oil changed today. Since I'm not at "home" with my own garage and oil pan and all that, I'm using oil change places. It takes a lot of self control to let those guys crawl all over my vehicle, fumbling around and pulling stuff out to show me. "Sorry dude, but I know this vehicle better than you may ever know anything"...

Ugh.

Yeah I just got my oil changed today. Since I'm not at "home" with my own garage and oil pan and all that, I'm using oil change places. It takes a lot of self control to let those guys crawl all over my vehicle, fumbling around and pulling stuff out to show me. "Sorry dude, but I know this vehicle better than you may ever know anything"...

HAHAHAHA My Element is the ONLY vehicle I bring to the dealership for services, and that's only because the lifetime warranty requires the work be done by certified mechanics in order for them to honor the warranty. I know how you feel, I constantly have the mechanics coming out to the waiting room and asking me "do you know about such and such" and I always answer "yes, well aware" before they can finish their statement, and end with "and please don't wash my car". NOBODY touches my paint but me.

I was steered (no pun intended) towards class D tires on this site. Considering they were just as hard to find and the same price, It's always a better peace of mind to know the tires are (in theory) more capable of the weight of the rig.

I will report back on their performance after I put a few thousand miles on them.