Food Storage

snail powered

For longer trips and full time living I like to store my food goods in the heavy duty (made for freezing) zip lock bags. They come in a variety of sizes. Sandwich, quart and gallon.

They do a few good things for you.

Keep the food fresher as you keep out moisture and excess air.

They are resizable. When you use up the product the size of the container can be made smaller by rolling up the excess and putting a rubber band around the roll.

They can be labeled to include contents and pull date information.

You can store more contents in a much smaller space by getting rid of the boxes that various products come packaged in.

Reuseable, they can be washed out and dried.

Take them to the grocery store and refill your basics right into them from the bulk foods aisle. No need to buy larger quantities than what you can store or use up in a reasonable amount of time.

The small size ziplocks are great for spices. Those can also be refilled in the bulk quantity sections. Then put all your individual spice ziplocks into one larger size zip lock.

Good for flour, sugar, cereal, pasta, powered milk, coffee, tea bags, drink mixes, cookies, dried fruits and vegetables.

Also stores wet foods for fridge and freezer and makes good ice packs for first aid.

A long time ago I went to a high end rv show, I'm always looking for ideas. In one of the $500,000 diesel pusher the brochure mentioned custom fitted storage bins in the cabinets. So took a look and they were Sterlight plastic bins. Went to Wal-Mart and found them. I'm still using them.

Put like stuff in one and stick a label on it. Depending on the size of the bin 2 or 3 will behind each overhead door. You know what's where and you don't have to pull stuff out to see if what you want is behind something else. AND things don't fall out when you open a door after a bit of bumpy road

I could definitely cut down on my clutter by putting more things in plastic bags...I bought some larger plastic screw-top containers for grains, and they fit perfectly in my cupboards, but they take up more space than they really need to.

When we go on vacation, we actually plan meals and package enough food in zip lock bags for every meal. We packaged rice, macaroni, noodles etc in bags with just enough for a specific meal. We didn't need 5 lbs of macaroni so why take it along. We planned 2 meals using mac so we took 2 pre-measured bags of mac. It cuts down on storage and definitely cuts waste. Some things did get taken in bulk because we use it often.

We even put our cereal in zip-locks and threw the boxes away. If you handle the bags carefully there is no extra waste from crushing the cereal. We had 2 kids and 2 grandkids on the trip so we had 5 kinds of cereal, the bags stacked nicely and the boxes would have taken up an entire cabinet. I tried to take just 3 cereals and almost got shot for being cruel.

We pulled the microwave out of the RV and gained an extra overhead cabinet. We didn't even know if the microwave worked because we had not used it in the 2 years we have owned the RV.

It's a little different for me since I'm living in mine right now, but the same concepts apply. I don't need to stock up on things like I thought I did at first. There are grocery stores everywhere...

But I still keep a lot of staples around and don't plan my meals. That way I can just cook what sounds good with what I have.

I'm living full time in my Sunrader with my 11 year old son - who eats nonstop! The cabinets are not nearly big enough for his appetite. I keep my bathroom door closed when we are parked (rear bathroom). I recently bought (for $6 at dollar store) one of those hanging shoe storage racks - the type that has 16 little mesh pouches. I hung it on the closed bathroom door and it's great. I can fit all sorts of bags of food in the pouches. It's especially good to keep fruit in - keeps me from having to take up counter space with a bowl of fruit.

I'm living full time in my Sunrader with my 11 year old son - who eats nonstop! The cabinets are not nearly big enough for his appetite. I keep my bathroom door closed when we are parked (rear bathroom). I recently bought (for $6 at dollar store) one of those hanging shoe storage racks - the type that has 16 little mesh pouches. I hung it on the closed bathroom door and it's great. I can fit all sorts of bags of food in the pouches. It's especially good to keep fruit in - keeps me from having to take up counter space with a bowl of fruit.

Hanging fruit bag, I bet it looks nice filled with pretty fruits. Almost qualifies as decortive art work. Interesting concept, visual display, not just for storage.