Weight And Tire Jack

ipo

I'm back to getting my 1992 dolphin into shape. I was looking for the tire jack and can't find one. Am I looking in all the wrong places? If I have to buy a new one...I can't find anywhere that says what the weight of the dolphin is so that I get an appropriate size jack. I've looked in the owners manual and I'm not sure what I'm looking at when it gives front and rear weights. Thanks for any help.

Toyota usually stored their OEM scissor jack and handle behind the drivers seat. But it is too light to use on the rear end of a 6,000# Dolphin. The front end weighs approximately 2,000# - the rear end approx 4,000#.

I use a bottle jack placed under the axle: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304827_200304827

And don't forget one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305223_200305223

Also, you'll probably need a 2' breaker bar fitted with an extension and proper sized socket to get the rear lug nuts loose.

The best prevention for flats is good tires.

I agree with what Twoblocked said. I also carry a hydraulic jack. Mine is a 3 ton and has no problem lifting the rear end. I also carry jack stands because it is never good to rely on just one point of support. Don't forget to block the on the ground wheels with tire chocks to prevent the vehicle from moving around. A socket with breaker bar and extensions is definitely in order also.

We just got back from a 3500 mile trip and the knowledge that I had brand new tires on the MH sure made me feel better. I did not trust the old tires due to age, they had great tread but were old.

I'm currently living on the road going on over two months now and over 2,000 miles from where I left. I left with all brand new tires including the spare, it gives peace of mind indeed. I did get a nice sized bolt in one of my tires in Texas. Luckily it was right in the middle of the tire and happened in a gas station parking lot. I patched it without having to remove it from the truck and aired it up, no problems since. I also invested in a small 120v air compressor that I use for my tires and air bags.

agree the old standerd truck jack but a good bottle jack will work

never seen a toyota truck with a scissor jack all that i,v owned had bottle jacks had them from 1983 to 2004. but i do have alot of toyota bottle jacks if need one

Oops, you're right. It ain't a sissors jack but a screw jack instead. Either way it's not going to lift a rear end of one of our 21' motorhomes.

I picked up a 4 ton jack at harbor freight - autozone & others have similar. Works good. I carry 2 jack stands that fit under the sofa. I also have wooden blocks for leveling that I cross=use as bases for the jack and/or stands if necessary.

I have 22mm lugnuts. I use a 1/2" ratchet with extension & carry a cheater bar made from some steel pipe.

Suggest you make sure it all works BEFORE you need it on the side of the road.

My old 92 itasca spirit had a bottle jack behind the drivers seat. My 93 Winnie warrior had nothing except a lug wrench kit which was hard to use on the rear wheels as the body got in the way.

I've used the Toyota bottle jack for changing tires on the rear on several occasions and experience no problems.

A portable starter/air compressor has been very handy for insuring the spare tire is up to the required 50+ PSI.

So, does everyone carry two spares? One for the front and a replacement for the 6 lug rear? I'm new, that's why I ask. Is it possible to get a rear tire off by jacking the axle or is it necessary to jack the frame?

Thanks

I've had the wheels off the back of my 1988 Minicruiser by just jacking up the rear axle with a hydraulic bottle jack. It probably depends on how low it sits and "unarched" your leaf springs are. No issue with mine as long as there is some air in the air springs/bags. As to spares? If my RV took different wheels in front then in back - I'd change the front to match the back. Either with the 6 lug hubs or adapters. Carrying one spare is enough. That being said - many with unmatched fronts and backs only carry a spare for the front. That working on the assumption that if you get a flat in rear- there are still 3 tires left to get you around for awhile. That assuming you don't drive too fast and long on one flat and make it catch fire.

That working on the assumption that if you get a flat in rear- there are still 3 tires left to get you around for awhile. That assuming you don't drive too fast and long on one flat and make it catch fire.

Also working on the assumption that they actually notice that the first tire has gone flat and that they don't drive at normal speed until the 2nd one fails.

If I was going to rely on 'limping' to the next tire repair facility with one rear tire flat, I'd for sure carry a 12v compressor and as soon as I detected a flat stop and inflate the 'good' tire to the maximum marked. If you've got LR D tires installed and normally drive with 50psi (for example), it's only designed for 1600lb @ 50psi but 1875lb (@ 65psi).

EDIT: BTW, 'Limping' in the world of dual tires is considered to be 2 mph! Less than convenient.

http://community.fmca.com/topic/4173-limp-home-on-a-single-if-dual-fails/

It also wouldn't hurt to dump any excess weight. Fresh water tank? Grumpy spouse? :clown2:

These two responses have it rite on. I have never changed a wheel on my motorhomes with any thing but a floor jack. Never had a flat. My first moho was a 84 dolphin with the two different bolt patterns and I carried a spare for the front only. My warrior has one wheel that fits front and rear. Only ever carried one spare. Good tires give you a better chance of not having a flat. Also go slow if the road conditions dictate it. We have put on better than 75'000 miles on our toyhomes and that included a trip to Alaska and to Yellowknife, Yk. with well over 5,000 miles of gravel roads.

I thought I'd also share this photo with you. It's of a 5th wheel rig on the way back from Inuvik on the Dempster highway.

post-1172-0-47438600-1404576319_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-30390700-1404576366_thumb.jp

I've had 3 flat tires in 10 years. Always in the back and because the valve stem blew. Rubber ones. I do have a 12 volt compressor and inflated the remaining tire to max and drove to somewhere where they could replace it. I never had any trouble telling when the tire went flat. You can feel it and hear it flap. Last time was just 2 weeks ago. Les Schwab didn't have metal valve stems that would fit so I ended up with rubber again. Really have to have that changed out to metal but they only charged me 8 dollars because they didn't have the right part.

Linda S

Yeah on the air compressor.

What I did was to let the air down to 20 #'s on the good side then pump the rt side uo to 120#. Put jack under the now high rt side and start turning. Then add other side up to 120 # to raise it and lower left side down to 20 # and presto, it now high enough to change wheel. Don't know exactly how much changing the air bag pressures helped but I think it was well worth it.

vanman

To hear it flap, had the tread separated or had the tire merely lost pressure?

No every time the tire was fine. I don't know how to put it but it sounds like a flat tire but because of the other tire on the axle it doesn't really feel like one. I do keep my rear tires at close to full pressure and my Sunrader is really small so might be part of the reason I never had major problems from the flats.

Linda S

If I had a flat on the rear with no spare, and I HAD to get somewhere, I would remove the flat tire and very slowly drive on the remaining tire to the shop. Why take the chance of destroying an $80 + tire. Are you in that much of a hurry that you can't remove the wheel & tire??

I had a tire start to lose its outer rubber such that a foot long flap of rubber was slapping the fender well. A busy highway was not the place to change the tire. There was a rest stop a mile down the road so I limped the camper along at about 3 mph. Since the temperature was about 100 F, having a source of shade and water was welcome.

The three tires that failed on me never lost air pressure. They were all older, 7 - 9 years. One Yokohama and two Goodyear.