Bunk Bed Arrangement

I came across an image for a design for a new family oriented Airstream trailer.

What is interesting is how they fit 3 kids beds into the rear. If someone needed to remodel for a family of 5 (two in the overcab) this might be a good solution for a rig that has a rear dinette area.

685-Screen-1.jpg

Another cool design a lot of newer rigs use is bunk beds on a rail with a motor that can lift them up or down out of the way when not in use.

I agree that's a great way to fit all those beds and get everyone inside, but holy cramped batman! I know the image probably doesn't do it justice, but it almost looks like they end up with about as much free space as I have to move around in my Chinook. Granted that's with a bathroom and separate bedrooms...but still.

If I was going to haul something that big, I'd sure want some living space...

I agree that's a great way to fit all those beds and get everyone inside, but holy cramped batman! I know the image probably doesn't do it justice, but it almost looks like they end up with about as much free space as I have to move around in my Chinook. Granted that's with a bathroom and separate bedrooms...but still.

If I was going to haul something that big, I'd sure want some living space...

Ever seen the factory optional hanging bunks in a Chinook? REALLY cramped. Four beds for four people in a Chinook is pretty tight.

A few photos. I find the Chinook bunk system kind of amazing. Very Japanese I guess - as far as being "shoe-horned" into a tight place.

post-6578-0-95496800-1403529652_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-41977700-1403529654_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-23507000-1403529655_thumb.jp

Yes, it's crazy.

But this is an airstream...

I'd just expect more living space in a large trailer.

But it's nothing new. Almost every small house that's of the era my first-time-home-buyer friends have bought has way too many rooms and walls. Usually the first thing they do is knock out some walls.

It seems the more rooms you put in any size house, the better they must think it sounds. 800sq ft, and 10 rooms!!

What are the dimensions of that trailer? Looks like a decent size living space to me. That is, until they divided it up and stuffed it full of "comforts".

I'm not here to argue about something, just pointing out that though I understand what they're attempting, it sure looks cramped to me.

But I know that for some people having the creature comforts is what makes them comfortable. For me, I'm comfortable without a lot of the modern conveniences, so long as I have space.

And yes, I realize that I'm living in a Chinook...

You see this a lot in the RV sales brochures. A 24 ft that will sleep 8. Newbies think thats just great, untill they stick 4 adults and 4 kids in one for a weekend. They will run out of water the first night. The 8 sleeper turns out to be enough for just 4.

There was a Sunrader model with bunk beds. Above the sofa there was a drop down bunk. I have also seen a couple of other Toyota motorhomes with bunks. One had single bunks across the back and the other one had side rear single bunks with the bathroom opposite. Not many of them but great for family's with kids.

Linda S