Agm (Absorbent Glass Mat) Batteries

pbjeeps

All my rigs have older power centers and I have heard the AGM batteries are finicky about their charge. Need a more controlled charge than my old ones are capable of. I would love to hear others respond though. Batteries and electricity are so not my forte

Linda S

I have 2 AGM batteries they are mounted inside and unvented, this is now officially frowned on, but it used to be OK and I've been doing it for 5 years with no venting problems. I camp in 0 degree weather and having the batteries in a sorta warm place will let then deliver more power.

Using a proper charger with an AGM rating is a must or you can damage a VERY expensive battery.

Anyone use AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries

I've replaced many failed AGMs in solar battery-banks. Not cost effective as compared to a conventional FLA battery like most RVs use. AGMs have three claims to fame. #1 - they produce very little gas. #2 - they can be mounted in any position. #3 - they have a very low self-discharge rate when in storage.

Only advantage #1 applies to an RV in my opinion. I don't see where that makes them worth buying considering the extra cost. Many dealers like to sell them because they are one of the few batteries that do not have severe shipping restrictions.

I've seen many AGMs die at half the life of standard deep-cycle FLA batteries. I'm sure some last longer but still. Mostly high cost and little to no overall gain. That is unless you have a race-car or space-ship and need a battery that is spill-proof.

I have two solar battery banks with conventional deep-cycled FLA batteries that are on their 8th year. That is pretty impressive. Trojan T-105s, Deka GC-2s, and Rolls-Surette from Canada. Just good old-fashioned deep-cycle flooded-lead-acid batteries. Granted the 12 volt type 24, 27, and 29s at Walmart won't last that long - but they are also cheaper.