Sunrader Rear Storage Boxes Build - Existing Box For Sale!

This project will replace my existing Sunrader classics edition factory storage box (its for sale $300 they are pretty rare), with two black aluminess galley boxes. I'll be ripping out the rear interior panel to get access, and also fix a few leaks, and also will be grinding down and painting my existing rear bumper.

But, first up does anybody need a stock Sunrader classics edition rear storage box? Its in Olympia WA, check out the pics below. Message me if you are interested, I'd like to see it on a Sunrader rather than stored away in my garage. The two new boxes cost a small fortune, but I'll be able to store my honda generater and also plan to have a fold out portable bbq/ in the other storage box!

post-7537-0-36690600-1401598633_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-80682800-1401598656_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-03374300-1401598734_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-00933100-1401598752_thumb.jp

Nice box. As cute as I think the Sunrader booty box is it's not really all that useable. Dave the guy you helped with the value of his damaged Sunrader removed his too. Of course it was pretty smashed. Now I have it. It's fixable but I have so many projects just waiting for my attention. I just didn't want it thrown away. Someone will want it.

Linda S

I would have given it away but the replacement boxes were spendy, $495 each. I had the larger delux box on my previous ford camper and loved it! Check out the company, they make some great stuff and customer service is also stellar.

http://www.aluminess.com/accessories/boxes/

Oh man yours is the deluxe with rails. Isn't it. I feel your pain. I still haven't seen Dave's rig yet. He spent about a zillion dollars. All new double pane windows and more stuff than I can even remember. Soon. Next week I think we'll meet up. A friend brought some stuff closer to my home so Dave didn't have to carry it around. The box and an almost new toilet. Yup he replaced his toilet too.

Linda S

I thought about adding them into my boxes, but I don't want the pesky electrical cables in my boxes (one box will be my fold out bbq and the door drop down), and my boxes cost a small fortune, I'm reluctant to hack into them! I'm going to try and put them in the exact place my current lights are - this way I could return the rig back to stock AND I'll be adding an entire LED pulsing light bar on my bumper check this link out:

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED_light_bar/fire_and_ice_led_tailgate_bar.htm

comes with a ten year warranty

Might be cheesy as its only $69 bucks, I'll be the guinea pig and see how they are, it has a white reverse too, and easy hookup to your trailer light plug.

Now you got me looking! these look nice I could bolt onto the boxes, and get them powder coated:

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Aluminum-Mounting-Boxes-Lights/dp/B006UW158I/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&qid=1401766676&sr=8-59&keywords=LED+tail+light+box#productDetails

I ordered the doubles, the triple was a few inches too long. I'm also going to pull my existing lights and replace the cracked plastic plate with diamond plate, and add circle LEDS, that way they will match. Thanks for the light box suggestion!

Made some progress today, I removed the left tail lights, and made a new custom light cover out of diamond plate and added new circle led lights. I also bolted the left box in place! I ordered some additional lights, and have some fibreglass work to do on the inside. Then I'll start work on the right side.

post-7537-0-13779400-1402115131_thumb.jp

Its raining in the northwest, so I switched to doing some fibreglass repair on the inside. You can also see how I bolted my first box through the rear wall and distributed the weight along 2 pieces of wood. If you look closely, you can see where the Sunraders typically leak - at the seem screws. I cut the screws flush and am covering with epoxy and cloth. Also patching my old license plate and light holes. I see my rear ladder is leaking, and also my rear running lights- I ran out of butal tape when I installed them. I'll have to move my water hookup too, and make the right tail light diamond plate. I want to make sure everything is water tight before installing the new maple panels and insulation. My additional lights also came, will have to decide where to mount them, probably on the storage box, either under it or on the rear back side? Any ideas?

post-7537-0-30164500-1402681025_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-90308600-1402681040_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-18945700-1402681057_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-89081000-1402681400_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Could you tell me the name for the original spring clips that attach the box to the sunrader? I am trying to find some but don't know what they are called.

Thanks

mike

Mine was attached with 4 bolts, nuts and large washers directly through the rear wall, top 2 were accessed via under the table on back wall, the bottom 2 bolts were accessed via under the rig.

Both sides match now! I had to move my main shore water ( I bought a new pressure regulated water hookup) epoxy and cloth and gel coat patched the old 3.5 inch hole and drilled a new big hole! If you look close in the pic you can see it next to my ladder. I also cut my ladder and still have to figure out a way to attach it to my box or get a new shorter ladder. I might look at some fire engine type fold up steps and a single grab railing. Any ideas out there. I'm 95% complete. One of my boxes I may convert into a BBQ! The door folds down and its a perfect height for grilling.

post-7537-0-92404600-1404455032_thumb.jp

That looks beautiful. I like your work. You should be proud of your skills.

I just looked at your profile and see you reside in Olympia. My wife and I will be traveling up your way soon maybe we could get together. I'm from Bonny Lake and have a class reunion this august in Sumner. We spend a night in Cabalas parking lot quite often. Like that store.

• 3 months later...

$550 is totally reasonable but the shipping would cost almost as much as the bumper... looks like a toy trip to Washington is in order...

Freight shipping costs are way less than mail and pretty sure this would qualify. Give them a call and ask how much it would be. I'm sure they have done their fair share of shipping. Of course if it was there they could do the install. Think Jason had them make and install his.

Linda S

Their site says they charge $100 just to package, then whatever freight cost is. Those bumpers weigh in at near 200 lbs.I am guessing it wouldnt be cheap with UPS which is their stated carrier. Assuming at least a couple hundred bucks in freight... that would get me about 1400 miles or so of travel in the rig or about 1/4 of a trip to washington. Interesting....

Badlands bumper, They r in wa state. U simply make an appointment over the phone and drive in and they install it in a hr or so. I helped install it. It's their secondary business they are welders. I'd thoroughly recommend them.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone...I just got a Sunrader and took it on a little trip and lost the storage box top. Does anyone have one that they have no use for anymore? I see some of you have replaced the entire box together...maybe some extra parts? Thank you.....

Hello Kayak on the coast...do you still have this storage box? I am looking for a top...just lost mine on the road :\

Thank you - Grace Ann

This project will replace my existing Sunrader classics edition factory storage box (its for sale $300 they are pretty rare), with two black aluminess galley boxes. I'll be ripping out the rear interior panel to get access, and also fix a few leaks, and also will be grinding down and painting my existing rear bumper.

But, first up does anybody need a stock Sunrader classics edition rear storage box? Its in Olympia WA, check out the pics below. Message me if you are interested, I'd like to see it on a Sunrader rather than stored away in my garage. The two new boxes cost a small fortune, but I'll be able to store my honda generater and also plan to have a fold out portable bbq/ in the other storage box!

Lots of companies make a similar bumper. If you get into the 4x4 Toyota crowd you'll see them everywhere. I've been seeing bumpers like that all over for years, and never even heard of that particular company.

That's not saying anything bad about the company; my point is just that they're out there, and probably a lot closer to you than Washington. If you find the right person, they probably even already have a tube bender and welder...

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+tube+front+bumpers&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1240&bih=695&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=fJ3bVM_2D8iigwTQ54HABA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

A lot of them are home made. Trail Gear and Marlin Crawler make pretty popular ones for the offroad crowd.

Not sure I agree with the assumption they are all the same as the majority of the ones depicted in your search link photos are rock crawler 4x4 bumpers as you mentioned., i have a "home made" texas ranch hand style barricade buster bumper on my Dodge acquired from craigs list for $150. finding one for the toyota is a bit different though, because a ranch hand bumper is for defending against hitting cows not rocks. my pure concern on the RV is hitting deers or animals not rock crawling.

Ranch hand style bumpers will protect the entire front including headlights like the one shown in Kayaks avatar. and Ranch hand style bumper has a full sweep across the front of the vehicle and juts down into the wheel wells like a standard bumper. A rock crawler style bumper will be angled to allow maximum wheel play.

There are hybrid styles but for me I like the classic ranch hand one like Kayak has, the maximum protection to the RV possible. These types of bumpers tend to come mass produced from Texas or Washington, unless you know of one near michigan that I am missing... and if so, let me know I am all in. Thats one badd mama jama bumper kayak! me like!

I see what you mean.

I said similar, not the "same", but that's fine.

The company we're talking about here seems to make exactly the kind of bumpers you're saying you want to avoid. They make offroad bumpers. So I'd think that if his is what you want, lots of offroad companies make one like it.

My google search was just "toyota tube bumpers".

Here I added "deer guard" to the search terms.

You're right, though. Without finding a local fabrication shop to make one, all the big companies are pretty far away.

some offroad bumpers are full coverage .. problem is they tend to have a winch which I dont need per say. for me this is the type of thing i love to find on craigs; because someone else has eaten the upfront costs such as shipping. so far the f15 style toy bumper is still my fav.

Grace Ann,

Last May, Linda S had a smashed storage box from someone's mishap. Perhaps she still has it and would part with the lid?

If not, and it it were up to me, I would probably fabricate something from plywood with hardwood edging that extended down. Then perhaps fiberglass and paint to protect from the elements.

Grace Ann,

Last May, Linda S had a smashed storage box from someone's mishap. Perhaps she still has it and would part with the lid?

If not, and it it were up to me, I would probably fabricate something from plywood with hardwood edging that extended down. Then perhaps fiberglass and paint to protect from the elements.

Man you guys don't forget a thing. If the lady is interested please PM me. I think the whole thing is repairable but I may never get to it. I'm a project junkie . Need rehab

Linda s