We were pretty much fed up with the old carpet in our 1992 Winnebago Warrior. Installed throughout, except for the galley area (who wants carpet in the bathroom?) it was impossible to keep clean and forget trying to sweep it!

So this spring, Ron installed vinyl plank clic-in waterproof flooring. It cost $125 approximately and took two boxes. Colour is Harbour Mist. It looks wonderful with our upholstery. A little caulking at the edges, and some narrow wood moulding (still to be installed). The job probably took maybe 6 hours over a few days.

A small carpet at the door to catch most incoming dirt and one under the sink is all that we added.

Getting the old carpet out was the most difficult part.

post-4394-0-65503500-1400532871_thumb.jppost-4394-0-01833000-1400532874_thumb.jppost-4394-0-37542300-1400532877_thumb.jppost-4394-0-79869700-1400532879_thumb.jppost-4394-0-38671600-1400532882_thumb.jp

Yea, when I removed my carpet there were about a bazillion staples. I think the installer got paid by the staple and not by the hour.

I used a remnant piece of vinyl from Lowes. Its was a pain to cut to fit and install in one piece, but by making a cardboard pattern I did fine. I also installed a 3/8" cabinet grade plywood sub floor to stiffen things up. Calked the edges, installed trim and had an easy to clean water proof floor.

• 1 month later...

I also need to get rid of the carpet. I have an 86 Sunrader and the carpet extends to the outermost edges of the coach. Its even under the battery box. My plan is to gut the coach of toilet, cabinets, everything!!! When you replaced the old floor covering, did you remove all the carpet out to the edge of the coach? Is my plan to do so even possible?

Hi Steve,

Ron cut the carpet out (with great difficulty) using a curved blade carpet knife, along the edges without removing the couch or the dinette seating. In the rear bathroom, he did remove the toilet. He caulked around the edges of the new flooring then put trim on using a nail gun. The finished product looks really good.

We used vinyl plank flooring and managed to do the whole thing with just two boxes.

Good luck with your project.

That looks like a great job you guys did. Hope to see it soon.

Starbrightsteve,

You don't have to gut the interior of your RV to just replace the carpet. Many Toyhomes were built the way yours is with the carpet laid down first and then everything built right on top of the carpet. A much easier way to replace carpet, or put down wood flooring, (I've done my '85 Dolphin twice this way and am about ready to do it a third time) is to use a utility knife with a new, sharp blade in it. Carefully cut along the edges of the cabinets, dinette, walls, etc. with the knife. If you have a table with metal bases for the legs, remove those first. Pull the carpet up after all the cutting is done, clean up and lay down the new stuff.

The leftover carpet under the cabinets, sofa, etc. is usually in much better shape than the main area of carpet. Leave it there after a good vacuuming. It will help to keep noise down and help to keep things that are stored there from sliding around.

Piece a' cake...

John.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone replaced a subfloor? Do you have any photo's of your project? We are ready to pull up the old carpet and are worried the subfloor will need to be replaced. It sags when you walk over it in some areas. Does the subfloor attach to anything? Is it screwed on or nailed? Is there exterior fiberglass between the floor and the open road? You can tell we're nervous about this project.

One thing not mentioned yet is enough clearance for the doors to storage to open properly, Doors that hinge on the bottom need to lay flat when open. If we put a throw rug on top of the old carpet, the doors don't lay flat but only about 2/3 open. This puts a lot of strain on the hinges and the small screws that hold the hinges especially when I accidentally push down on the door.

When you plan a re-flooring job please check that you don't raise the floor too high for the doors.

Plywood floors under carpet were fine. Not sure if there was a sub-floor. The only small problem was that the vinyl flooring in the galley area was slightly higher than the floor either side of it. We laid pieces of the thin vinyl to make a tiny ramp either side which worked just fine. Hardly noticable!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would you say that the road noise is about the same with hard floors? I want to replace my carpeting, but not sure if I want the vinyl sticky wood flooring or if I want to re-carpet. My theory is that vinyl would be noisier on the road, but maybe you could confirm that before I toss out the idea completely? thanks!