Brakes

Tdb

Hey everyone, newbie here, just got my 1989 V6 Dolphin home and need some advice on the best place for brake parts. The rear brakes are dragging . Thanks for any help.

Hi! i also have 1989 toyota dolphin and got my rear brakes from napa auto parts! if you are doing rear brakes good time to grease rear wheel bearings and good idea to replace the seals! lots of info on this site about doing this project so just scan through the posts! Rick

Yeah unless you want to go to the dealership or an online OEM parts store, Napa is a good bet. I usually avoid Auto Zone, unless I know the brand part I'm looking for and they happen to have if for cheap. But typically Auto Zone carries lower quality stuff.

RockAuto.com is also a very good resource, if you want to go online. But with shipping you don't always end up saving money.

I ordered most of my brake parts from Amazon which I found was the cheapest. Read about my brake rebuild on my blog at ...

http://daysofexploration.blogspot.com/2013/04/third.html

I did my rear brakes last year, new brake rotors, brake pads and axle seals, all from Rockauto.

Also, be sure to flush your brake lines (like flush a quart or two of brake fluid thru), I was amazed on the improvement of the brakes

that fresh fluid does. I think my brake fluid was mostly original and had moisture in it.

Dennis...

Anthony,

I read your description of fixing up your rear brakes on your Toyota. Very clear with great photos! I have to do this job but I've been putting it off since I didn't even know what a seal looks like. Is the seal with the red edge that's in the photo, the outer seal? Where is the inner seal? Is it in the hub? Also, did you get the new brake drum from Amazon as well?

Did you adjust, remove or do anything with the proportioning valve?

Thanks,

John

Anthony,

I read your description of fixing up your rear brakes on your Toyota. Very clear with great photos! I have to do this job but I've been putting it off since I didn't even know what a seal looks like. Is the seal with the red edge that's in the photo, the outer seal? Where is the inner seal? Is it in the hub? Also, did you get the new brake drum from Amazon as well?

Did you adjust, remove or do anything with the proportioning valve?

Thanks,

John

If I remember correctly, I believe that was the only seal. And yes, the red circle is indeed the seal. It was so long ago that I rebuilt the brakes I do not want to tell you it was the only seal and put you in the wrong direction. If you do this work yourself, once you come across a seal, you will always be able to locate a replacement by the number or letters printed on that seal. Just call your local parts store or go in with that seal and they should be able to look it up. If they do not have it, someone on the internet certainly will.

I did indeed get my drums from Amazon. I did no work or adjustments to my proportioning valve and the brakes have performed flawlessly since the rebuild a few thousand miles ago.

I just redid my rear axle in my 1988 this week. Getting it ready to drive 1000 miles with chickens in the back and do not want any breakdowns. I bought this Minicruiser last year and never even checked the rear until now. WORST part of job was getting the back wheels off. They had been on so long - they were rusted stuck. I had to use a big chisel to get them broken free. In reference to that second set of seals that Toyota uses? This is maybe the 10th Toyota dually FF rear axle I've pulled apart and with all - those little seals leaked and let oil into the bearings. That was a "good" thing as I see it. If it wasn't for that oil intrusion - I suspect those rear bearings would of dried up. I spoke to the old man who bought this RV new in 1989 and as far as he remembers - the rear axle had never been serviced during it's 145,000 miles that are now on it. The other seals on the rotating hub held fine and there was no oil or grease on the brakes. No brake lining either. I was tempted to leave the axle seals out and just put in the new hub seals. One problem though. The oil fill level for the diff is a bit lower then what' used in other FF axles with wet bearings. So, I left the factory design as-is and put in four new seals (two each side. New brake shoes, new wheel cylinders, new hold down kits with springs, and four new seals cost a grand total of $52 from Rock Auto. Pretty cheap. I will note one problem thought that I've had every time I've done a brake job on a Toyota FF. The brake hold-down kits have always come with the anchor pins that are too short. The rest including all the springs were correct. While I had the RV jacked up - I also put in new Air Lift air bags for the suspension. They were on-sale and this 88 Minicruiser did not come with them from the factory. Oddly - I had a very hard time getting the philips drive screw out from the bearing adjuster collar that ride and grease and have no rust. I had to use a hammer-impact driver to get them loose. Using a standard philips head screwdriver was just stripping the heads.

post-6578-0-56416500-1399726626_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67653700-1399726627_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-33949400-1399726628_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-36491900-1399726629_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-38214600-1399726630_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-37255100-1399726631_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-43113000-1399726632_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-39021000-1399726633_thumb.jp

jdemaris,

A thousand miles with chickens? Sounds like a fowl trip to me. At least maybe you'll have fresh eggs each morning?

John

You've got that right! Still haven't figured out how we're going to do it. We've been in northern Michigan for 6 months and are getting ready to head back home to central New York. Problem is my 10 year-old's flock of Rhode Island Red chickens. 8 of them that he hand-raised 4 years ago. I keep hoping a coyote or coon willl get them (well, not really). When we came up here last Fall - I took a small boat trailer and built a small chicken coop in the back. Also loaded the trailer with a 1/2 ton of other stuff I wanted to bring and leave in MI. Towed it all with a Dodge GrandCaravan. But I'm leaving the van and trailer here in MI. Heading home in the 1988 Minicruiser. Gave near half the chickens away but still have five. So, somehow - my wife,me, boy, large dog, fat cat, and five chickens have to travel via that Toyota motorhome. To make things worse - we want to camp at least one night along the way. My first idea was to line the bathroom with plastic and put the chickens in there for the trip. 2nd idea is to build a "travel-box" and mount it on the back bumper. One slight added problem. It's four hens and one very loud rooster. He's going to crow at 5 AM in morning unless he's in a dark box. I don't suppose that will go well in any campground. We'll see.

By the way - for the 6 months here in MI - the chickens got their own camper. Never figured out what make it is. It has two wheels any maybe 21 feet long? A ?Chippewa Indian was living in it full time until he broke his neck and disappeared. Left the trailer in the woods on my property. So we made a portable chicken coop out of it. Has a German absorbtion refrigerator in it. Maybe from the late 50s??

John (also)

post-6578-0-13512100-1399807308_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-38903900-1399807314_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-82091900-1399807328_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-68332100-1399807329_thumb.jp