Finally Gonna' Let The Old Dolphin Go Free...

It looks like I'll be getting rid of my '85 Dolphin next month. After almost 20 years of ownership, its time for someone else to take over. I've posted photos here in the past of all the work I've done rebuilding the outside of the coach and painting the interior and I'll find them again in a few weeks when I figure out a price. I just can't justify the cost of insurance and upkep anymore for the few weeks that I use it in the Summer.

More to follow in a few weeks...

John

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I would have know about this site as I paid way too much for my 85 Dolphin with 43,000 miles, the only plus! Do I need to check the brakes with such little milage? Thank you Linda S for looking at it with me in SJ. Can I get good coach battery at Walmart? John I would love to have bought one all finished but then how do you learn that way?

sailfritz,

Yes, definitely check the brakes! They're what keep you away from trees, other vehicles, you get the picture...

You can get a good coach battery at Walmart. They should run about $75.00 or so. Just tell them what you'll be using it for. Measure your battery compartment so that you're sure the one they suggest will fit.

I suppose one does learn all about their motorhome by buying a fixer upper but for some people the expense, frustration and hard work of trying to fix everything by yourself isn't worth it. A case in point: my wife wanted to learn how to spin wool and weave fabric by herself until she got a good piece of advice from a woman that had a loom for sale. She said "its silly to abandon 3,000 years of knowledge just so you can re-invent the wheel." Getting a rig already in good shape is probably the best bet since just doing the normal everyday maintenance will teach you a lot.

The only reason I re-built so much of my Toyhome myself was that, as a retired wooden boat shipwright, I just looked at the thing as another rotten old boat that I could repair as good, and probably better, than anyone else could. Plus the price was right and I often have a tough time sitting still...

John

It will be a very fortunate buyer when he gets your rig. Can you comment on my other propane problems under general discussion called Ac out of order? I did the ac fan belt! Also that city water connector valve leaks a lot. Doesn't seem there is much extra hose to cut at camper inside h2o tube where the plug in shore power cable is, how do I stop the leak?

Well I never use city water. If you just use the water from the tank you can turn it on and off with the pump and there is less pressure in the lines. Did you have a pressure reducer on the hose when you attached it. Full city water pressure is too much for our old water lines to handle.

Linda S

Tom,

Linda is right on the mark, as usual. I've only hooked up to city water once about 20 years ago just to see if it worked. It promptly leaked when before it wasn't leaking. Just use the built-in pump and the water from your tank. If you're at a campground and you run out of water, just get your hose out, fill up the tank and you're good to go.

As far as fixing the present leak inside that little compartment, I cut the hose back far enough from the back of the city water valve (the hose was split open from freezing) so that I could get at the plumbing to fix it. This meant, of course, replacing a couple of "tees" as I remember. Get a "stubby" screwdriver for working in there. Another thing is to check the city water valve itself. They do wear out or get stuck partially open. Mine finally wouldn't stay closed all the way about five years ago so I replaced it. The only time I ever actuate the valve is when I'm winterizing the water system. That means turning on the pump, going outside, removing the cap on the valve and gently pushing in the valve, allowing antifreeze to flow out, expelling any water in there.

Since I never use the thing, I've often considered removing the city water inlet valve altogether and just capping the plumbing inside and making a cap for the hole on the outside. Maybe a little round one with a picture of Ken Keysey on it...

John

es I did have a reducer on the city water hose. Can that little rubber gromet inside the valve be replaced? The oven won't come on even with the pilot light on. I read to remove the small ball underneath the pilot light and bring it up so that the flame of the pilot light makes it grLow and then the oven gas will come on is that true as mine still doesn't come on? The heater just makes a slight click but never lights. John you said build the dinette table same size as the opening but how does one slide into the bench area with the tabletop all the way against the cabinets?

I use a Camco brass pressure reducer at the faucet, and use city water always, unless I'm dry camped.

I own a water pressure valve.

Never had a problem in over 30 years and several RVs. All weather. All seasons. Freezing or not.

If it's to drop below freezing at night, I disconnect or leave a faucet dripping.

We've had occasion to live full time in RVs for work away from home. Starting in 1981, and still do it.

BTW did you know rock salt slurry in a grey or black tank will keep it liquid in cold weather?

Tom

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the table top all the way against the bench seats". When the table top is in the down position, as if you're getting ready to make up the bed, you can't sit on the bench seats because, well, the table's in the way. When the table's in the up position, sitting on the posts, there's plenty of room for your legs to fit under the table so you can sit on the dinette seats. Am I answering your question? Am I making sense?

John