It's A Bouncing Baby .... Sunrader!

tofubiscuit

FINALLY, after months of searching and always being a day late I have bought a Toyota. Searched a 15 state radius and ended up finding a 1987 Sunrader just 2 hours from my house. Luckily I saw the ad 11 minutes after the guy posted it so drove straight there to look, because his phone rang off the hook with people interested. Very clean, 70,000 miles, new appliances, and that beautiful(not!) smoky rose color interior that was so popular in the late 80's. Signed the adoption papers and she comes home tomorrow! Now the fun begins!!

Let us know how your shake down cruise goes when you bring it home. Don't let the little things that yo find wrong discourage you from enjoying you new Toyhouse. You will probably find a few things that need your attention. The great people on this site can help you with any repairs that you need.

Brought her home yesterday. The people I bought from were so nice. They knew I am new to the rv experience, so they spent a lot of time showing me how everything works, how to hook up and disconnect everything. The drive home was so smooth, I forgot I was driving an rv. It drives smoother than my v6 jeep. Had to go over two mountain passes, and quickly learned what I had been told - they pick their speed going up a hill and stick to it. It was slow and steady up one mountain pass. The second one, which was full of curves, we actually went a little faster. I need to learn some of the finer points of going up and down the mountains, doing it in whatever way is best for the engine and transmission (it is an automatic). But boy, is she fun to drive! I think I am in love! Everything went great. I was intimidated about driving something so big (21 whole feet!), but I quickly got over it, she drives so nice. Not ready for rush hour traffic yet, but I feel fine about driving around. It is still about 7 or 8 months before I become a full timer, but will spend that time updating the inside and making it livable how I need it to be for full time living. Her name is Gertie - after a piglet I had. Gertie was little but oh so feisty! Trying to upload pictures, but having trouble getting them from my phone to my computer.

Your purchase process sounds about like mine. The seller was great, honest and straightforward. Yes, there really are good people left in the world.

Suggestions: Stay out of overdrive because your trans will heat up rapidly. (I have a trans temp gauge).

Use your cruise sparingly. Those kick downs will really cost a lot in gas.

Don't get in a hurry. At a steady 50 mph, I can get an honest 15 mpg.

Have fun!

Gotta post photos!!!!!!!!

It is THE LAW

worthless_zps3bc0fb4b.gif

That sounds like a great purchase, thanks for sharing the story. I remember my first drive in a toy-house, it went smoothly and I've never looked back. Enjoy the Rader and post some photos when you get a chance. Can't wait to see it!

Hope these go through compressed. That is my son up in his "room". I love it more each day. Can't wait to live in it. Taking our first mini trip as soon as tags go through.

post-7656-0-59837300-1397336245_thumb.jp

post-7656-0-49368600-1397336277_thumb.jp

post-7656-0-34779100-1397336317_thumb.jp

post-7656-0-10386300-1397336338_thumb.jp

Actually the liner kind of freaked me out - felt like it was keeping me from seeing leak possibilities. But all the walls felt solid and all around the windows, etc. looked well sealed. And this was purchased from life long rv'ers who seemed like they took very good care of it. So far everything has been great in it. Spending lot of time in it to see what works with my lifestyle and what doesn't, then will start modifying. She is a gem!

Sunraders only leak where there's a hole in it. Roof vents, Air conditioner and windows. Most Sunraders have leaked around the windows somewhere. Can cause some stains but usually no real damage. Trust me if the roof was leaking that headliner would be sitting on the bed. It looks fine. Take a close look at all the other places I mentioned though.

Linda S