Quick Tachometer Question... V6 1992 Motor...

TikiShack

I want to monitor revs. I dont want to spend much. I can get a cheap china tach for under 20 bucks on ebay.

I need to know if there's a factory terminal that will tell a tach what the revs are, or do I have to add a sensor? Id think there is a terminal or wire I could tap into.

Thanks!

Lots of maybes. Some tachs trigger off the coil and will have a 4/6/8 switch. Some tachs trigger off the amplifier.

Some of the Toyotas have a tach wire, for factory use when the chassis was upgraded to an SR-5.

Have fun

As WHM said, most all will pull their signal from the coil.

If you want higher revs and slower speeds you need to swap out your rear end gearing.

Stock is more than likely going to be 4.10:1 (there are some exceptions but not many)

I have always used 4.56:1 in my toyota RVs (well the two I have owned). If you change your rear end gearing you need to get a speedo ratio adaptor to match the speedo to the new gearing so that you are seeing the actual MPH in the speedo

In my V-6 shorty this gives me an interstate crusing speed of 70-75 in over drive with the RPMs around 3200- 3400.

I prefer the smaller US and state highways and staying around 55-60 which clocks in around 2600 -2800 rpm

BUT I can BOGGIE when I need to :hyper:

boogie_zps1f89f7dd.jpg

I thought I seen a post a few years ago about a Forunner instrument cluster would plug in. and it had a tach.

john mc

88 dolphin 4 auto sold

the deluxe sr5 truck has a tac my late 87 sr5 4wd has the delux dash full gages with a tac. i had a 87 same 4wd but a 22r carb with the same dash as the moterhomes. so maybe dash from a truck or a four runner.

If you switch in a new cluster, you need to switch out one of the signal sending units, I forgot which one. Temp I believe. Someone without a senior moment will answer that.

It's the oil pressure sender that needs to be changed out. If you use the pressure sender from the original V-6 you will blow the pressure indicator in the SR5 instrument cluster.

I installed an SR5 cluster (no shift indicator) in my '91 Winnebago Spirit. I purchased a pressure sender for an SR5 cluster and it works perfectly.

I went with A column mounted gages (oil preasure, water temp and trans temp). I could not find a columm shift SR5 cluster :waaa:

postGauges_zpsb66c89bc.jpg

On the early models a SR-5 panel from the same year works, or at least the same model years for that style.

The newer Toys need a panel from a T-100 pickup. it has the dash prndl lights

In any case you need to change the oil pressure sender from idiot light to gauge sender