Sunrader Weight

Debbit

I'm looking at a sunrader, an 87, and I believe a 21' although still have to check.
I'd love some input before I go see it tomorrow.
Mine is an 84 dolphin, 4 cyl, 4 spd. Manual. Low miles, good working AC in cab and cabin.
We have almost everything the way we want it, everything works, but not loving the seam and calking maintenance/repair. It isn't leaking, even in driving rain, but I feel the potential is always there.

This sunrader is an 87, looks to be in good condition, although pictures sure are no guarantee.
Is a sunrader much lighter? 4 cyl, but fuel injected and automatic with overdrive. If all things are equal, would it be much different driving?
Is fiberglass as trouble free as it appears? I like the look of the sunrader or chinook, but wonder if there would be a lot of difference in driving and upkeep from our dolphin 300.
I've searched, can't find this info, although I did find the manual and brochure. Thanks!

I will opt for fiberglass anytime. My 1979 Galavan is fiberglass and has held up remarkably well. I would suggest either steel or aluminum framing if available. Wood, unfortunately, once wet will tend to rot out. Many times you will not find the damage until it becomes a major project.

I'm not sure what the model(s) you're looking at are made from.

Well, still trying to make a decision. Known for unknown. I've searched and searched, to no avail. Fuel inj. Better than carb? Manual better than automatic? I like the fiberglass better than the stick and metal sides with seams. I like the sunrader windows and floor plan.

My dolphin is all fixed up, and dependable. Aagh

Suggest, if you can swing it, buy the SRader at a good price. Play with and OWN them both. Sell the one that you least prefer.

Cull the herd.

IMO the 84 with dash air/ 4cyl/ 4speedstick is a desirable combo. But so is a good SRader.

There's really nothing wrong with a wood frame built RV. You just have to keep it water-tight.

Same goes for fiberglass - anywhere there is a penetration you can have a leak. You just have to keep it water-tight.

The nice thing about Toy motorhomes, is that the depreciation period is about over. Good examples hold their value pretty much.

Sunraders are slightly more aerodynamic so gas mileage seems to be a little better but the 4 speed also increases mileage. The fuel injection is better to adjust to high altitudes and your kind of up there. Sunrader prices have been going through the roof. Don't know what price your looking at but if it's anything under 7 grand I would buy it no matter what. I think having both of them to compare is an awesome idea.

Linda S

Ok! Thanks!

I'm visiting my daughter in CA, here to help with some things. one car between us, and the sunrader is a couple hours away. I've rented a car for tomorrow, located a branch of my bank in the town where the toy is, so will drive tomorrow and take my time checking it over. Called DMV, will get both notarized bill of sale and have him sign the title on the right line.

Yes, it is a great price or I probably would pass on it. I have a good one at home. ;-)

I GOT IT, I LOVE IT! Drove in the mountains back to Pasadena. Handles like a dream accelerates and handles great, wind didn't buffet or slow it down. Love the overdrive and the power steering. Fiberglass camper and truck is in beautiful shape. Inside needs cleaning, new blinds, there are a couple of leaky grey water pipes, I'm not sure what else works. Man I bought it from said it all works. Propane tank needs inspection before filling. Basically, everything that would be hard to fix is in good shape. I'm really impressed with it, and glad I got it. And it was a real steal.

post-7310-0-76651200-1397015033_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-64232800-1397015116_thumb.jp

Well now I remember what one that is. You posted it on my other site. Very nice buy. Permanent tanks don't need to be recertified. Of course you can have it checked out for peace of mind but it's not required. Have to take it to an RV place though. Suburban and Amerigas won't touch a permanently mounted tank unless you remove it for them first.

Linda S

Good to know. On my list of things to do. Tomorrow transmission service and oil change and some cleaning. Then hit the road for home, probably Thursday am.

I live in Wisconsin and I get my permanently mounted tank filled by Amerigas every year. They are picky about BBQ tanks but have never said anything about my Escaper. The long term employee always calls the new guys out to show them how to fill this type of tank with the overflow/vent.

I live in Wisconsin and I get my permanently mounted tank filled by Amerigas every year. They are picky about BBQ tanks but have never said anything about my Escaper. The long term employee always calls the new guys out to show them how to fill this type of tank with the overflow/vent.

Yes they will fill the tanks but they do no repairs and their inspections are limited to spraying the tank and regulator with bubble stuff. I can buy my own bubble stuff at the dollar store and when I went to Amerigas I ended up using mine. His didn't bubble very well. I replaced my regulator myself cause they , like I said, wouldn't touch it.

Linda S

Good to know. On my list of things to do. Tomorrow transmission service and oil change and some cleaning. Then hit the road for home, probably Thursday am.

Use the overdrive only on flat or slight downhill. The trannie is the weak link in the 22re. Excessive use of overdrive can overheat the transmission and cause failure. Some add transmission temp gauges or extra trannie coolers. I just never turn mine on. Runs just fine without it and gets the same mileage.

Linda S

Heading home this morning. Hoping for a trouble free trip! No AC, yet, so windows down. I'll check the mileage and report back. I'll probably stay overnight in it, but won't be the same as when it's all cleaned up and stocked with our stuff.

Well. Uneventful drive home. 800 miles. When I got home, I parked the sunrader right next to the dolphin. Honestly? I like them both! I think the sunrader is easier to drive, it gets a little better milage. I like the layout of the dolphin better. I generally prefer a manual transmission all around, but the automatic was sure convenient. I think power steering helps in windy conditions (which in New Mexico are frequent) as well as the aerodynamics of the sunrader.

I've had people come up and express interest in the vw westfalia and the dolphin, but this was ridiculous. Almost every gas stop, rest stop and food place, someone asked if I wanted to sell it. Two guys were toyota experts, knowing more about the truck than I did.

Anyway, one will be for sale soon, just don't know which.

I think I'm back at square one with non-working refrigerator, but it's too early to tell. Don't know how much more "fixing up" I'll do. I like the color of the carpet, so don't feel determined to change it right away. Probably will do some wallpaper, don't know about paint.

Gotta get the air fixed too, and check all the other things.

Yeah, I did. And he was even negotiable on the price. He didn't advertise it as a camper, but as a truck. So people who answered his ad were not very interested. I lucked out for sure!! My husband likes the layout of the sunrader better, so that's good.

After a short (somewhat heated) deliberation, we put the dolphin on craigslist. We both feel the sunrader is best for us. And we really can't have two parked here. Well, 2 RVs, a westfalia and 3 cars....

http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/rvs/4419039556.html

Edited by Debbit

Well, the dolphin was purchased by a nice family and I'm busy cleaning the sun rader. Would have liked to keep both, but not enough room and the money is needed elsewhere. I think I sold the right one ;-0