Why Put A V8 In A Toyota Rv

sdboltdude

I once had an Oldsmobile with a fully built 455 & 4 barrel carb. Going down the highway with a gentle foot I could get 21 mpg (like that happened very often. lol.) A lightly worked 350 may get better gas mileage than a maxed out 2.4 depending on your driving habits, I also had an all-wheel drive Chevy Astro, that frequently got 20 mpg on the highway. Your driving habits greatly affect the mileage.

I once had an Oldsmobile with a fully built 455 & 4 barrel carb. Going down the highway with a gentle foot I could get 21 mpg (like that happened very often. lol.) A lightly worked 350 may get better gas mileage than a maxed out 2.4 depending on your driving habits, I also had an all-wheel drive Chevy Astro, that frequently got 20 mpg on the highway. Your driving habits greatly affect the mileage.

I had a built to the tilt 396-ratt with a Predator 1200cc carb in my 67 Camaro was lucky to get 10mpg "she liked to drink"

To drive a MH (or any other vehicle) at a constant speed will take 'X' HP to overcome rolling and aerodynamic forces no matter what engine is installed. It'll all come down to which engine you install that will be most efficient at converting your gas into HP. Anyone who doesn't think there have been advances in engine efficiency since the 22R-E was introduced should pick up your crosses and stand in THAT corner! :)

Of course if you accelerate from 0-75mph cruising speed in 10 seconds instead of 0-55mph cruising speed in 30 seconds then all bets are off. But at least it's possible with a V8.

As far as efficiency, my money's on a Lexus V8 vs a SBC with a carb*. :)

* Or even fuel injection.

You haven't been keep up with SBC's. The new Gen 5 are advanced way past a Lexus V-8. All aluminum, 355hp and 23 mpg in a pickup. So 15-18mpg doesn't seem out of reach in a Toyota M/H

Yea 2 valves, but variable time and variable displacement, 10.5 compression ratio on 87 octane fuel. Here a Gen 4 with O/D transmission is $1500 at most wrecking yards. A Gen 5 is around $4000 and the price is coming down fast

2011 Tacoma, 4L 24 valves 4 cams vvt 6 spd 20 mpg (mine) you pay for the 4X4's height it's all about the drag it's not a cake walk for a V8 pushing a brick either..

I had an 89 Mazda RX7 with an LS1 swapped into it. The car weighed about 2400 lbs and with an easy foot got 24 mpg.

I drove a 89-90 don't remember the year with a chevy 350, man did it git up and go. Didn't buy it because was afraid of the extra front end weight. Man did it go, OH I already said that.

Some approximate engine weights

22re....340lb

3vze....370lb

Lexus v-8 .... 470lb

GM aluminum LS v8 425lb

SBC Gen 1 v8 575lb

AND just in case you are suffering from major delusions

Allison V1710 v-12... 1595lb

Had an 89 350 tbi suburban. It got 17 on the highway and weighed at least 4500 lbs. I think you might be surprised with the gas mileage you could get in a toyota motor home with a v8. I don't think it would be much different than my 5500+ lb. rv with an underpowered 4 cylinder.

It looks like a pretty clean RV. With the conversion already being complete and if I had the extra money to invest into another motorhome, I would probably 'take a chance' and purchase it. Having all of that extra power, in a Toyota, makes it a very unique RV. If I later felt that I had bought something that I was going to continually be having to 'tweak' special, ongoing problems, I'd sell it and let someone else deal with the problems.

My only question: Is it wise to have all of that extra engine torque on a small Toyota (designed) frame? And, all the extra weight of the 350 engine? My example: I remember how the early Mustangs had serious frame twisting problems, during Ford's evolution, as they slowly kept increasing horsepower to their small, little Mustang chassis. Just sayin'. Does anyone else agree?

~Riverman77

Well I don't think you could ever drive a motorhome like a Mustang no matter what engine was in it. We have seen the 350 in a number of Toyota based motorhomes so it's not a new concept. 85 Diesel is sticking a Mercedes diesel in his, my friend Dave has a totally built turbo charged 4.3 V6 that cranks out some serious horsepower in his. Pretty much universal, if you stick a motor in anything, there's always someone out there who will have to tweak it.

Linda S

No Linda, I too have never been able (or had the desire) to drive my Dolphin like a Mustang. Two totally different vehicles.

Derek, I'm glad to know that a company like SBC has worked out all of frame & torque problems (if any) with their conversions.

My post was more of a general thought to ponder, not precisely specific. Again, "just sayin'".

~Riverman77

P.S. SBC= Small block chevy. BBC= big block chevy. SBF= small block ford...... and so on.

Just thinking... the seller is most likely "into" machines like this. It would be interesting to have the guy tell about it. I wonder if he has a blog or webpage somewhere.

O.K., ALRIGHT, YOU WIN!

I will SHUT UP for a while.

I was only trying to chime in with my 'very' humble opinion about a V8 engine

modified into a small Toyota chassis. It's not something that I see everyday.

All joking aside, in the future, I'll simply try to stay out of your thread pools if I don't

feel like I am an expert or have first hand knowledge of the given topic.

~Riverman77

I had an 89 Mazda RX7 with an LS1 swapped into it. The car weighed about 2400 lbs and with an easy foot got 24 mpg.

Any gen rx7 with an LS engine is a perfect match. :lol2: