Phone Coverage

tofubiscuit

While I don't have my toyota yet (still looking - when I find one they sell before I can get there - they go quick!), I am making initial preparations for when I do get it. The plan is to take off next fall and travel the country with my son, possibly going into Mexico. The overall plan is to not have a plan, just go where ever for however long we want. I am looking into smart phones (could use one now at work and then to have it the road) and am wondering about what kind of coverage people are experiencing as they travel the country - any carrier that people find has great coverage everywhere, etc. I have looked at the various company websites, but I know from experience that the map saying they have coverage in an area doesn't always mean they do (for example, where I live now only one company actually works out here at my house, yet several claim they work in this area code). Just wondering about the coverage experiences of those already traveling all over.

No idea about Mexico, but in the states there's pretty good coverage. I'm in the little "town" of Boulder, UT, right now, typing this (through my Verizon hotspot). Of course if you're in canyons and mountains there will be physical features (the canyons and mountains...) blocking cell signal. But every time I travel or come down to southern Utah, I'm amazed at what places have cell coverage.

Check out Republic Wireless. You have to purchase a motorola smartphone (Moto-X or Moto-G) but the rates are great
and no contracts. If one has wifi, the phone will make a VOIP call (much better than a cellular call), then will use
sprint network, and then will roam to a non-sprint network. Four different plans available.
Also, one negative is that with Republic wireless the phones cannot be used as a modem for a laptop, but then again
they are a larger screen smartphone, no reason for a laptop.