Any RV's with bunkbeds?

Guest ncmama

Guest ncmama

Was the Granville the only Toyota rv with bunkbeds available? I've been looking for a model with bunkbeds for nearly 3 years and have only seen a Granville that had them. Unfortunately, it was gone before I could get to it. Thanks for any available info.

Hello, my Odyssey does not have bunk beds, just the bed over the cab and the couch that opens up.

I am planning on makes two single bunk beds, one to fit over the couch, and one to fit over the dining

table. My plan is to use aluminum frames and either plywood or a composite type material for the base. The beds will be stored over the cab and will then slide into each of their places and will have drop pins

to secure the beds from moving. I need to add a mount on the side of the counter next to the stove,

will probably mount a 2x4. The mount over the dining room table will require more work since I have

to build the mount up from the floor since the frig and heat will be in the way. This will end up giving

me the queen size bed over the cab, two single beds, and the couch bed which will only be openned

up half way in order to keep the hallway clear. I have three boys, so each will end up having their

own bed and no one gets stepped on for those middle of the night bathroom breaks.

I found an RV supply company in Elhart IN that sells single bed mattresses (6.5 feet x 3 feet x 4 inches)

for $40.

Later,

Dennis...

• 1 month later...

Hi:

I just read your emails about bunks. I'm looking for a toyota motorhome, but am looking for one that dinette opens into a bed. Did they ever make that option? If not, do you think it could be adjusted? Also, do you think I could hire a carpenter to do what you're doing?

thanks,

Nancy

cottanpsc@comcast.net

781-331-8886

Hello Nancy,

I think most of the Toyota Motorhomes had the dinette that folded down into the third

bed. My model has upgraded chairs (rocker and swival) at the table so as a result they

do not fold down.

What I have been doing in the mean-time is having one of my boys sleep on the floor

under the couch bed on a roll up foam mattress, it works, but the hall is blocked. Another

thing that we thought about doing is a piece of plywood cut to fit across the front seats

with a foam mattress on it, the two downsides is the the person sleeping there has to be

short and they are semi outsite of coach area.

I will be working on my bunk beds after this weekend, I want to get one done before going

camping on October 12-14th.

Dennis...

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 12/21/2008 at 0:42 AM, bufbooth said:

Hello All,

Sorry about the late posting, here are some pictures of the bunk bed that I made.

www.tipton-in.com/bunkbed

Dennis...

Hi Dennis @bufbooth,
I'm very interested in seeing your finished product as I've been looking for ways to make more separate sleeping areas in our camper (dinette and overcab beds only right now).  The link you posted no longer works, can you share your photos with a new link or post them here?  Thanks! 
Erik

I saw Mr. Booths rig at a rally; his bunk beds were sweet. He had aluminum framed drawbridges that neatly stored away when not in use that basically bridged the over cab birth to the fridge area if memory serves, and also on the other side. His toy home sleeps the most people than any other I have seen by far.

So once setup there was little chance of anyone traveling from the front to the rear of the camper without ducking/etc.?  I'd prefer to have something that still allowed a pathway from the birth to the door and on to the kitchen and bath.  I found this idea, but I'd like to have one above the dinette also.  I've event thought that maybe I will remove the fridge and knock down that wall to make a bed that would pass over the shower stall --- but that would take more courage than I have to initiate!  

I've been thinking about making the couch into a bunk bed as well.  The previous owner took the back of the couch off and tossed it, so I would need to fabricate something from scratch.  I found the below pictures on a craigslist ad and thought something like this might work for a Toy.  Rather than suspend it from the ceiling, maybe have legs that pop out of the bottom of the top bunk and secure to the floor or bottom of the lower couch. 

00L0L_4IpYgGaG3ml_1200x900.jpg

00S0S_3h6vr8iMJL5_1200x900.jpg

Hah! I was just looking at that motorhome above with pictures on Craigslist! Beautifully restored travco. I was noticing how the bunks are suspended from seat belt material to the ceiling. How about towing a tear drop? 

• 4 months later...

I don't think the bunk beds add any real value even though they are great for people with kids. Your rig appears to be an early Odyssey but the front overhead has a definite sag in the middle meaning it needs some rebuilding and looks like the roof has some droop too. Fix it and enjoy it and the fun times it will give you are priceless

Linda S

Thanks Linda! Yeah noticed the droop just got it last year haven't done anything yet. Mainly got the motor running right. Just never seen a Toyota camper with rear bunks. Just really wondering how rare it might be.  My family really doesn't like how small it is.  Thought about getting something a little bigger. Just hate to let it go 

This is terrific, thanks for sharing. We have the dinette, no couch, in our 19fter. We are also now expecting another little person, which will put us at 5 in the Toy camper :)

I'm going to build a bunk for over the dinette bed, another pipe like cot to hang over the front seats, and hopefully we all have space to sleep, or cry.

I've also thought about turning the bathroom into a nursery, it's pretty useless to us other than storage as we don't need the extra sink and use public or natural pottys and showers while traveling. 

Luckily all the kids are smallish humans still. I wouldn't be so confident if it was 3 teens...