Emergency Axle Response Needed - Old post with great axle info

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I feel bad and wanted to offer some info to you folks: the Dolphin in my backyard has a Toyota FF dually rear axle. The good news is that this axle uses the ultra-common 8" third member. Therefore, you can re-use your gears from any other Toyota 8" rear end; you just switch the entire third member assembly- you don't mess with the gears themselves. I suspect yours are the same as mine.

• 10 months later...

hahaha left hand threads gee wish we read this post a couple weeks back when we had a fun time struggling to get them off torching away at them thinking they were stuck its funny now...yet wasn't then..

so by the way we have an early model 1986 dolphin 300 model and its got the left hand threaded drivers side 6 lugs you are saying that came from a 1986 toyota 1 ton truck not the original motorhome's replaced 6 lug? because of the left hand threads? they didn't do that for anything but? that's cool/interesting you learn something every day! I heard toyota made diesel pickups in canada for a bit wouldn't that be a fun conversion if our young 22re ever shits the bed i'm going to seek one of those babies out

ps cool drawing of a guy and his toyota motorhome(not mine) thought folks here might enjoy(didnt work... try again later)

hahaha left hand threads gee wish we read this post a couple weeks back when we had a fun time struggling to get them off torching away at them thinking they were stuck its funny now...yet wasn't then..

so by the way we have an early model 1986 dolphin 300 model and its got the left hand threaded drivers side 6 lugs you are saying that came from a 1986 toyota 1 ton truck not the original motorhome's replaced 6 lug? because of the left hand threads? they didn't do that for anything but? that's cool/interesting you learn something every day! I heard toyota made diesel pickups in canada for a bit wouldn't that be a fun conversion if our young 22re ever shits the bed i'm going to seek one of those babies out

ps cool drawing of a guy and his toyota motorhome(not mine) thought folks here might enjoy(didnt work... try again later)

Guess what, our 91 2 wheel drive does not have left hand threads. Our 86 4x4 did though. Perhaps someone replace the studs on ours?

• 2 months later...

The stud size is also different the 6 bolt 14" are 14 MM and the 15" 6 bolt are 12MM.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I feel bad and wanted to offer some info to you folks: the Dolphin in my backyard has a Toyota FF dually rear axle. The good news is that this axle uses the ultra-common 8" third member. Therefore, you can re-use your gears from any other Toyota 8" rear end; you just switch the entire third member assembly- you don't mess with the gears themselves. I suspect yours are the same as mine.

This is not true. 8" third members come in different gear ratios. That way you can regear without swapping axles. A v6 has a different ratio than a four cylinder, but the third member is the same size. For 4x4 people, regearing is a really common thing. 4.10 was stock for most four cylinder trucks, but when people go with bigger tires, they swap 4.56 or lower gears, and all those fit into the same 8" differential housing/axle.

Anyways, the above post is partially true, but you cannot expect that by grabbing any 8" third member, the gearing will match your front differential, if you have a 4x4. It won't exactly mess things up if you have a 2wd, but if you just grab any differential, you may end up with a different gear ratio. The only time things will break is with a mismatched front and rear ratio, once you try 4wd.

Edited by MontanaChinook

• 1 year later...

OK you rear axle gurus out there. I have gotten an email from a fellow Sunrader 4x4 owner who is broken down near Yosemite with a 6 lug axle where all 6 lugs have sheared off and he needs to know how to replace them.

My 85 Toyota 2wd motorhome has SPLINED lug bolts that press in from the back side of the drums and the rotors(front) . To remove them take a drift and a small 2-5lbs hammer and punch the old lug bolts out,do NOT hit the threaded if they have any unless you put a nut on the lug bolt FLUSH with the tip of the lug bolt threads if it will allow it! To replace them,put anti-seize on the splines of the new lug bolt then put them into the back of the hubs, making sure to twist the lug bolt a little back and forth till you feel the splines on the lug bolt lock into the old grooves created by the old lug bolts.MAKE SURE THEY ARE STRAIGHT IN THE HOLE then put a nut on the stud and tighten the lug bolt till it is flush against the back of the hub. Do this slowly,do not use air tools... this is why they brake, to much torque!! Good Luck Rod.

• 8 months later...

• Toyota Advanced Member
  • member4.gif
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

I second what Nolan says.

Remove the half shaft (getting the cone washers free is a b$#@^%)

Remove the ring nut that preloads the bearing

Slip off the brake drum / hub

does anyone have a manual or link to where this is shown...or could jot down a couple of things for me :-)

I have a full floating axle on an 82 Toy -- no idea what model yet of RV, and Diff.... yet though i will...

i need to pull off the drums check the back brakes -- and i have never seen full floating axles before with a dulley set-up

so from what i quoted... and what i am interested in---- is what to do to remove the ring nut and the settings to record? and re installation directions..eg. - torque#'s.

Is there anything special i need to know to remove ring nut to get the brake drums off... and on reassembly...

thanks in advance ---

OHHHHH Silly ME... i just found it in the Toy site.... :-) repasting here... hope thats ok

wow all of this to take off the drums...

any suggestions on not having to use the SST tool??? or is it nessisasary to use.... i guess its really the best way... a quik thought ??? suggestion :-)

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6104&page=1

V

Dully_Rear_End_Overhaul.pdf

Edited by vert