Pilot Blow Out

My refrigerator pilot keeps going out when travelling down the road. It stays on when parked without any problem.

Under these circumstances, I assume that the thermocouple is OK. So, is there a solution to the problem? Relighting is getting to be a pain, not to mention the discovery of a warm refrigerator when I stop.

Also, I seem to have the same problem with my water heater.

Cold water and hot refrigerator. I would like to reverse the two problems.

Yup they do blow out while driving. Sometimes I just turn mine off when I'm on the road. Fridge says very cold a long time when your not opening it. Do you have a 12 volt setting on yours? You can switch to that too. I think it's less a factor of the wind. Seems to me rougher the road the more it goes out. Think the flame just jumps too far from the gas when you bounce hard if that makes any sense.

There is a wind shield over the flame. Don't remember what yours is but sometimes people remove them for some reason. Check it. Might help

Linda S

I had a similar issue with my water heater while stationary.. Turned out that by using compressed air to blow out the gas line going to the actual pilot light helped a lot - the flame was higher and apparently the thermo couple was much happier.

My fridge only blows out in high winds.

My fidge does not have a pilot light - but it has a flame that stays on all the time - (light it by striking a button that creates a spark)

You may want to disassemble and clean the burner assembly. Wire brush some of the rust off, and make sure the little gas jet openings are open.

Mine blows out occasionally, especially when there are strong cross winds. Just get in the habit of checking it occasionally after driving.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Is the plate that covers the burner still there? I have never had mine blow out. Like John said check for carbon and general yuck around the burner.

• 1 month later...

Rookie question, if I may. If you are driving down the road and the pilot blows out on your fridge, can there be an excess of propane leaking into the coach that can cause problems? I cannot find a shut off valve to the fridge so I wondered about that. Thanks.

No it should shut the gas off if there is no flame the thermocouple holds the gas on with heat from the flame. Never seen a shut off valve on the fridge just the furnace.

My fridge flame blows out quite a bit, too. I agree with Linda that a lot of the time with me, it's really rough roads doing it. But I've been in the SW all spring, and man it's been windy down here! Even saw a semi blown over the other day. Lots of 20mph winds with 50mph gusts. My flame was doing pretty well for a while, but the last few days it seems like every time I stop and check it, it's out.

So technically you're not supposed to drive with it on, but it seems like everybody around here agrees that it's fine. I was using the 12V setting while I was driving at first. But if you forget to switch when you stop for lunch or for the night...you'll have a dead battered and warm food/beer. So I've just been keeping it on gas, and checking it here and there.

A couple of days when every time I stopped it was blown out, I did switch to 12V for driving. It was 80 degrees and the beer wasn't cold...and still wasn't cold...and still wasn't cold...flame just kept blowing out and fridge wasn't getting cold. So in that case I went 12V.

I was worried about the gas leaking, too, but my fridge manual says that if it senses no flame, the gas shuts off.